Can bird shot damage a rifled barrel? And clearing lead from a barrel.

This is a discussion on Can bird shot damage a rifled barrel? And clearing lead from a barrel. within the Rifles, Shotguns, & other Long Guns forums, part of the Other Firearms category; Looking for some knowledge and wisdom from the forum family. I have been told that shooting bird shot through a rifled barrel can damage them. ...

Thread: Can bird shot damage a rifled barrel? And clearing lead from a barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Can bird shot damage a rifled barrel? And clearing lead from a barrel. 
    Looking for some knowledge and wisdom from the forum family. I have been told that shooting bird shot through a rifled barrel can damage them. It seems to me that lead should be softer than the barrel so it should not do any damage. But then I thought that maybe the lead could "foul" the rifled barrel (for lack of a better term). If so, what is your best way to clear lead from the barrel of a gun? What do you guys think? I have a box of 22 bird shot that I have never used and now that I have bought a new plinker I would not mind playing with the bird shot a little.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

2. #2 Re: Can bird shot damage a rifled barrel? And clearing lead from a barrel. 
    From what I've read, you will definitely want to scrub the barrel with a bronze brush and a solvent that can help remove lead fouling. My suggestion would be to totally avoid shooting solid bullets until thoroughly cleaning the barrel after shooting the shot.

I also understand that the .22 loads with #12 birdshot are almost useless except at very close range.
    Skip Douglas

3. #3 Re: Can bird shot damage a rifled barrel? And clearing lead from a barrel. 
    'Ditto' Skip D.
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

4. #4 Re: Can bird shot damage a rifled barrel? And clearing lead from a barrel. 
    +1 on what SkipD posted.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything

5. #5 Re: Can bird shot damage a rifled barrel? And clearing lead from a barrel. 
    I agree on the bird shot being fairly useless unless at very close range. I have a couple of problem animals that I don't want to hurt but would like to "urge" them to move on.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

6. #6 Re: Can bird shot damage a rifled barrel? And clearing lead from a barrel. 
    41magfan
    You're assumptions about shot loads NOT damaging your rifling are correct. They tend to work best out of long barreled handguns or rifle length barrels. They're fairly effective on smallish critters like snakes, mice, bats, etc. out to 20 ft or slightly farther. The capsule type (CCI) seem to work much better than the crimped brass variety (Winchester/Federal) in my experience.

No special cleaning methods are required but the frequency should increase if you shoot a bunch of them.

7. #7 Re: Can bird shot damage a rifled barrel? And clearing lead from a barrel. 
    works great for Bull frogs!! so much easier than a frog gigg!! and more fun!

8. #8 Re: Can bird shot damage a rifled barrel? And clearing lead from a barrel. 
    41magfan
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefuh_t
    works great for Bull frogs!! so much easier than a frog gigg!! and more fun!
    I'll have to give that a try ... that giggin' business is harder than it looks.

9. #9 Re: Can bird shot damage a rifled barrel? And clearing lead from a barrel. 
    yes it is!! we used to walk around the pond with a light at night lookin for the eyes and shoot them with the 22 birdshot and then pick them up with a fishing net taped to a long stick

10. #10 Re: Can bird shot damage a rifled barrel? And clearing lead from a barrel. 
    Well I have shot quite a few gophers on my property with the CCI birdshot in my Ruger Single Six with absolutely no problems! I was told the shot is encased in a plastic wad that helps until it all leaves the barrel...in any case I don't have any lead problems at all. I get a lot of one shot kills at 10 to 15 feet easily...just set up my chair near the hole a cold ice tea & wait...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads