Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster

This is a discussion on Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster within the Rifles, Shotguns, & other Long Guns forums, part of the Other Firearms category; What, if any, is the difference between the Ruger 10/22 and the Mossberg 702 Plinkster? I know the mags are different but the receivers look ...

Thread: Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster 
    Honkeycat
    What, if any, is the difference between the Ruger 10/22 and the Mossberg 702 Plinkster? I know the mags are different but the receivers look the same. I was just wondering if any of the stocks to make the ruger look like an AR or tactical gun would fit the Mossberg. Ruger has so many options and the Mossberg has so few. I may not go nuts and change it but there are a few things I would like to add. Like the mag release lever that comes down under the trigger guard and maybe a new bolt to replace the simple black w/white arrow that came with it. OK, by now you are wondering why I didn't just buy the Ruger? It was a gift.

So, please tell me what you guys know.

2. #2 Re: Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster 
    First, I am going to be honest. I am going to act like you don't have either. The Ruger does have MANY more after market options, most of which are cosmetic IMO. I am a big Mossberg fan and come from a family that owns a lot of them. BUT, I am an even bigger Ruger fan with a gun safe full of them. The two main things I do not like about the Mossberg are small capacity mags and that big muzzle break. JMO, but I think that is probably easily removable. I would also guess that high capacity mags, if not already available, they probably will be fairly soon.

So......while I would lean toward the Ruger (which I believe is a good bit more money) I would not be reluctant to buy either.........or both!
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

3. #3 Re: Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster 
    ...I am a fan of both Ruger and Mossberg. I have the 10-22 Sporter. You can get the 10-22 in Tactical with a muzzle break as well (plus other variations). The 10-22 has been around for almost 50 years, so it's a true winner. The main issue, IMHO, is the mag difference...box vs. rotary. Weigh that as an important issue in making the decision. The 10-22 tends to weigh a little more than the 702, but not worh considering. Also, the 10-22 is made here in the good ole USA, whereas the 702 is manfactured in Brazil. And as bdd said, the 10-22 can be dressed up ad nauseam.

Tarheel

4. #4 Re: Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster 
    Sounds like you have the Mossberg and thats perfect! After you have shot it for a while you can find out what ammo she likes. In a way you are lucky there are not many after-market parts for it. You can just have fun the way she is. The Ruger is an OK gun, I have a couple but the trigger is horrible. That will cost the average person over $100 to fix. And then you will need a bull barrel and new stock. And then you will find a place that sells titanium parts.
    A guy at work has $1500 stuffed in his Ruger! We can out shoot him every time! I have an Izhmash 7-2 $400 and another has a new Savage bolt with acutrigger $300. We beat him at silhouette matches every time.

I don't know how old you are but I can still remember the joy of my first 22. Mine was a Ruger and I still have it. She was made in 1967 and all I have replaced is the firing pin and some springs.
    Have fun enjoying your Mossberg. Den
    "We do not rise to our level of expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Jeff Cooper

5. #5 Re: Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster 
    Denny, I thought the same thing in regards to the after market parts. Being limited on what you can add can be an advantage.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

6. #6 Re: Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster 
    computerdynamics
    I tend to lean towards the 10/22. I'm a gizmo freak and love stripping it and adding goodies, cosmetic or not. I've replaced almost all parts with titanium. The auto bolt release is a must if you do nothing else. And that's the beauty of the Ruger, it can be left bone stock or taken to the extreme. It's like an old Mustang, you can restore it to stock or drop a crate motor in it.... I have to admit it was the very reason I bought the 10/22. Check out the options at Midway USA, it's pages in their catalog. As far as accuracy, bring it on! This target was rapid fire at 25 yds. as fast as I could pull the trigger, maybe 2 seconds?
    Titanium guts
    Green dot scope
    3-9x32 scope
    Hi-Viz sights
    Laser mounted to Piccatiny rail on bottom
    Piccatiny Rail on top for scopes (see though)
    Micro buttstock pad
    Polished trigger/sear (great trigger pull at no cost)
    Flash suppressor (looks cool)
    Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster-10-22-banana.jpg   Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster-10-22.jpg  

7. #7 Re: Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster 
    Honkeycat
    Thanks guys! I do already own the Mossberg, it was a gift and it is for my daughter (13). That is why I wanted to know how similar the two guns were. Can I fit any of the Ruger parts on the Mossberg? I do like to leave things original but somewhere in my brain there is something that won't let me stop tinkering with things and I just have to change everything I own. Even if I just put my initials on it, I have to fiddle and take it apart and see if anything needs improving (?). I don't have the talent to fabricate anything so I rely on aftermarket parts and I cruise the internet looking for things to add to what I already have. So I was just wondering if any parts would fit.

8. #8 Re: Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster 
    computerdynamics
    Don't know about parts availability but I like your itch to "tinker". I can't leave anything "stock"! ; )
    Tony

9. #9 Re: Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster 
    Honkeycat -With a Ruger 10/22 you will see catalogs with pages and pages of "replacement parts", add-ons, suppressors(I cannot gert one of these until I learn to spell it right!!), every type of barrel known to man, and the list goes on and on. I started with a $75.00 used one and now have a safe full of them with the best being a 1/4 MOA KIDD Custom Built using all KIDD parts and their 3oz/3oz=6oz two stage trigger(recommended for bench rest only). You can go right to the top and buy KIDDs Supergrade for $970 all put together, and if you are anything like me, you will have a beautiful piece of work that, no matter how good you get, it can still shoot better than you can. Here is KIDDs site if you want to check out some of the super high quality stuff mimicking the 10/22. http://www.coolguyguns.com/

Sitting in that same safe with all the Rugers is one Mossberg 60. It has lived there more years than I care to admit and I have never spent a nickel on it since I bought it new. No it will not shoot 1/4 MOA, but it shoots good enough to put holes in its share of soda and beer cans. Oops, just remembered, I did do something to the Mossy--I refinished the stock. The Mossy goes anywhere I can go, often wrapped in a towel. The KIDD only goes to the range in a padded case that cost more than the Mossy!!! Take your pick. The 10/22s are like a disease. I finally got the KIDD when I decided I had fixed one up to the point I couldn't get it any better without a machine shop and a lot more knowledge than I now have.

Venture over to the Rimfire Central forum and you will find a wealth of knowledge on the Ruger 10/22. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php
    Happy shooting - those little 22's will provide you with many years of enjoyment.

10. #10 Re: Ruger 10/22 vs. Mossberg 702 Plinkster 
    computerdynamics
    Hey Kingfish,
    I'm with ya' on the disease/addiction 10/22 syndrome. Can I apply for dissabilty with Ruger 10/22 Syndrome, or more commonly known as R10/22S?? ; )
    It's just pure fun for me and I can't help it. It is the poormans AR. With the 10/22 you end up at a $1000, and with the AR you start at a $1000..... ; )
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads