What year was my Marlin 60 made?

This is a discussion on What year was my Marlin 60 made? within the Rifles, Shotguns, & other Long Guns forums, part of the Other Firearms category; I have a marlin 60 I Just picked up and was trying to find out when it was made.. sn 20625387.. I seen a 75 ...

Thread: What year was my Marlin 60 made?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What year was my Marlin 60 made?  
    ptroxx
    I have a marlin 60 I Just picked up and was trying to find out when it was made.. sn 20625387.. I seen a 75 with higher # . so must be older than 75...
    Thanks for the help..

2. #2 Re: What year was my Marlin 60 made?  
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

Try this link and you'll find plenty of information. I own an old Marlin Rifle I bought back in 1995. They made some great varmit .22 caliber rifles. Sold a bunch of them too. 11 Million or so.

About the manufacture date of your Marlin 60. Circa 1972 the first 2 numbers were the year of production. After that you subtract the first 2 digits of the number from 2000 and that gives you the new style production year. 20625387 is your SN. so 2000 - 20 would make it 1980.

This bit of math is only valid for production model made from 1971 to 1999. Prior to 1971 or depending on who talking too.. the first two digits indicated the year it was made. Starting in 2000 they went back to the old way.

Of course no one would ever steer you wrong on a gun forum, on the internet. Unless of course visitng New York City, with a permit to carry concealed, and want to know if NYC will honor it? Good luck.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

3. #3 Re: What year was my Marlin 60 made?  
    I have a Marlin Model 60 bought sometime in the 80's. Let us know what you find.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

4. #4 Re: What year was my Marlin 60 made?  
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon60
    I have a Marlin Model 60 bought sometime in the 80's. Let us know what you find.
    I'm curious too. Subtract the first 2 numbers from 2000 and see what you get? I ran into this Marlin dating thing for the Model 60's some time back while doing some research. But have never confirmed it.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

5. #5 Re: What year was my Marlin 60 made?  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgoff689
    I'm curious too. Subtract the first 2 numbers from 2000 and see what you get? I ran into this Marlin dating thing for the Model 60's some time back while doing some research. But have never confirmed it.
    The first 4 numbers are 2434xxxx
    Keep Calm, Carry on

6. #6 Re: What year was my Marlin 60 made?  
    The first 4 numbers are 2434xxxx
    OK. That would be 1976 for a manufactured date. Which is possible. If this bit of math and Marlin Lore is correct.

Thanks.

7. #7 Re: What year was my Marlin 60 made?  
    OK. That would be 1976 for a manufactured date. Which is possible. If this bit of math and Marlin Lore is correct.

Thanks.
    Sounds about right as I think I was off on when I got it. I think your right on. My teenage years in the 70' is a little fuzzy.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

8. #8 Re: What year was my Marlin 60 made?  
    Quote Originally Posted by ptroxx
    OK so what is that making my 60 ?
    20625387 is your SN. so 2000 - 20 would make it 1980 for a manufactured date of.... it's 32 years old.

9. #9 Re: What year was my Marlin 60 made?  
    Bgoff689, thanks for the build year. Until last year I never gave that rifle much thought. I remember teaching my son to shoot it when he was around 10-11 which would have been 1980-81. Until my Father got me back in to the guns last year it just sat in the closet for the last 20 years in a case. I have taken it down cleaned and oiled it up and found a new appreciation for it. Never new I had such a popular little riffle. Now now that I know the year it was made just made it even a little better. Thanks again.
    Keep Calm, Carry on

10. #10 Re: What year was my Marlin 60 made?  
    Bgoff689, thanks for the build year. Until last year I never gave that rifle much thought. I remember teaching my son to shoot it when he was around 10-11 which would have been 1980-81. Until my Father got me back in to the guns last year it just sat in the closet for the last 20 years in a case. I have taken it down cleaned and oiled it up and found a new appreciation for it. Never new I had such a popular little riffle. Now now that I know the year it was made just made it even a little better. Thanks again.
    I understand. I have a few oldies sitting aound in the house myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads