Crickett, Henry Mini Bolt or Savage Cub for my 5yr old son?

This is a discussion on Crickett, Henry Mini Bolt or Savage Cub for my 5yr old son? within the Rifles, Shotguns, & other Long Guns forums, part of the Other Firearms category; My son has been shooting a borrowed Savage Model 30 .22 for almost 2 years now and loves it. I want to get him his ...

Thread: Crickett, Henry Mini Bolt or Savage Cub for my 5yr old son?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Crickett, Henry Mini Bolt or Savage Cub for my 5yr old son? 
    My son has been shooting a borrowed Savage Model 30 .22 for almost 2 years now and loves it. I want to get him his own .22 and I believe I've narrowed it down to the three listed above (although I realize that will probably change after this exchange). I'm trying stay in the $200 range and with a single shot bolt or lever action. Advice from anyone with experience using/comparing these 3 rifles (or others) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Cruzer
    We would worry less about what people thought of us, if we realize that they seldom do.

2. #2 Re: Crickett, Henry Mini Bolt or Savage Cub for my 5yr old son? 
    ...Cruzer, all three will get the job done. I bought my grandson the Henry. It's a fine rifle and only cost about $40 more than the other two and in your price range. It is the U.S. Youth Shooting Team's choice...a serious rifle that is championship grade. The rifle reeks quality and features and is a true sibling of the adult versions. He'll consider it much more than a "toy". It is a keeper even after he outgrows the rifle and it's time to step up a notch, especially if you may have other little ones coming along. Just my $.02.

Tarheel

3. #3 Re: Crickett, Henry Mini Bolt or Savage Cub for my 5yr old son? 
    Light Artisan
    5 years old and his own .22?

I was all about the BB gun until I was old enough to take gun training.

4. #4 Re: Crickett, Henry Mini Bolt or Savage Cub for my 5yr old son? 
    Thanks Tarheel, I have to admit that's the way I'm leaning. I wish the Henry came in more stock choices like the Crickett, tons of nice looking laminates. I guess you can't go wrong with a sturdy synthetic stock and stainless barrel.

Mr. Artisan
    Normally I would agree with you but we kind of started backwards. My brother let us borrow the Savage (both his sons 7 & 14 shoot) and once Sam shot it there was no turning back. All under my close supervision of course and one of the reasons I want a single shot.

Funny thing this past Christmas. We were at Bass Pro here in VA, I suggested to my wife we get him a BB gun but she didn't think he was old enough. I could have said "But honey he's been shooting a .22 for a year and a half" but I felt it was smarter to move along.

His favorite TV show is Andy Griffith and one of his favorite episodes is where Opie shoots the mother bird and has to take care of the chicks.
    Sam gets it.
    We would worry less about what people thought of us, if we realize that they seldom do.

5. #5 Re: Crickett, Henry Mini Bolt or Savage Cub for my 5yr old son? 
    Go big. Dad started me at 5yrs old with a Remington model 48 shotgun, 12gauge. Knocked me on my butt a few times until I got a feel for it, and it was as tall as I was... but I eventually grew into it.

Oh yeah, we also had a Glenfield model 60 that he taught me to shoot with as well. But the shotgun was so much more fun.
    -James
    My Blog Gear Reviews, Gun Rights Issues, Emergency Preparedness
    Now on Facebook

6. #6 Re: Crickett, Henry Mini Bolt or Savage Cub for my 5yr old son? 
    Cruzer,

I'd also go along with Tarheel for the same reasons.

Got "my" first gun at 5 also. Just a Springfield bolt action single shot, but I still have it. Also started with the occasional shot of my Dad's 12ga pump and once with my uncles 12ga double barrel. I said once because I let go both barrels at the same time and ended up on my butt. Of course my sadistic Uncle had set me up by telling me to try it, while all the time he was filming it! Every year at the Christmas family doings for the next 20 years, he would drag out the projector to show the home movies. and there I was in all my glory. Good grief, even my wife has seen it.

Got my first shotgun at 11. A big, long barreled goose gun. I think he did that on purpose so that when they'd sent me birddogging Through the brier patch, they could see where I was at, since they'd have me hold the barrel straight up.

I guess I add all of that to assure you that you are molding your son to be a responsible adult, and creating memories that he will still have when he's old and gray.

Dan

7. #7 Re: Crickett, Henry Mini Bolt or Savage Cub for my 5yr old son? 
    If it has to be under $200 and one on your list I would agree with Tarheels choose, but I just brought a Rossi Trifeca $289 (.22, .243, 20ga) for my 7 year old daughters up coming B-day. She has expressed her interest in shooting with daddy this summer, I think this will do the trick. Quality falls somewhere between the Cricket and the Savage. http://www.rossiusa.com/whatsnew-trifecta.cfm

8. #8 Re: Crickett, Henry Mini Bolt or Savage Cub for my 5yr old son? 
    He has already learned how to shoot. Boys loose interest real fast with only a single shot rifle. I believe he would be happy for a long time with a 10-22 ruger. Try to find one with a youth stock and he will be good to go. One of my Sons still pulls out his 10-22 and his H&R 20 gauge and he is 17 now.
    Just my 50cent. Good job with your family! Den
    "We do not rise to our level of expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Jeff Cooper

9. #9 Re: Crickett, Henry Mini Bolt or Savage Cub for my 5yr old son? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny4kids
    He has already learned how to shoot. Boys loose interest real fast with only a single shot rifle.
    Agreed.

-James
    My Blog Gear Reviews, Gun Rights Issues, Emergency Preparedness
    Now on Facebook

10. #10 Re: Crickett, Henry Mini Bolt or Savage Cub for my 5yr old son? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny4kids
    He has already learned how to shoot. Boys loose interest real fast with only a single shot rifle. I believe he would be happy for a long time with a 10-22 ruger. Try to find one with a youth stock and he will be good to go. One of my Sons still pulls out his 10-22 and his H&R 20 gauge and he is 17 now.
    Just my 50cent. Good job with your family! Den
    Yes.

My first at this age was an antique Daisey Red Ryder. Still have it!

Sean McGinnes: Do you not believe in a higher power?
    Cullen
    : Yes, sir. I wear it on my hip.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads