Ruger Pistol Forums banner

Best powder for .380?

43K views 33 replies 29 participants last post by  bubba68 
#1 ·
I currently load 380 acp.

I use unique and 95 gn rimrock bullets.

What would be the best powder to use. I have had moderate results with unique>

#2 ·
Unique is NOT a good powder for .380 because in the very small quantities needed it doesn't work well in most powder measures. Unique is made up of relatively large flakes. If you weigh each load, Unique is sorta OK, but I much prefer Alliant's Power Pistol or WW 231 for small cartridges like the .380 or 9mm. Both are made up of much smaller flakes (actually smashed balls of powder, thus the "ball powder" description).

#3 ·
Agreed. Unique is an excellent powder, but it is VERY difficult to accurately meter in the small quantities required for 380 loads.

You simply can't go wrong with Winchester 231/HP38. Reliable, clean, meters like water. If you have to have performance similar to Unique, try Hodgdon Universal.

#4 · (Edited)
#12 ·
The only thing I could get as of yet due to the shortages, is IMR 800X. I've been using it in 45LC and it has been OK. I'me hunting down data for 380 and 9MM Parabellum. I'll post when I have results.

#14 ·
I have been OK with AA#2. start light and see how it works for you. several different weights and styles of bullet, lead, plated and jacketed. the short barrel makes me think a slower powder would likely be wasted. use #2 for several of my plinker loads so it is usually on the shelf

#20 ·
Old thread, I know.

I've used 3 powders for 380;

Power Pistol - meters OK, shoots well.

Autocomp - meters GREAT, can throw consistent measures for 1000's of rounds. Shoots well.

Titegroup - meters almost as good as Autocomp - very touchy though - an extra 2/10's of a grain makes for way more oomph. Shoots great.

Things being what they are these days, take what you can get - but if you have a choice, the 3 above do work well.

#27 ·
What is your criteria for best powder?
Highest velocity?
Best accuracy?
Most consistent metering?
What?
For best velocity, I like powders around 231/HP38, N320, and Green Dot.
For best accuracy, I like Bullseye and 231/HP38
For most consistent metering, I like AA2 and N320
Most economical is probably TiteGroup in terms of cost per fps.
If I had to choose one powder, it would be 231/HP38.

#29 ·
I just set up my Dillon 650 for 380. I use 700x in my 45acp and just did a small batch with it for 380. I tape a cheapo aquarium air pump on my powder measure's cap (also use it for Trailboss) and I'm getting +/- .1 grain (2.1g is the load) with a 95g SNS casting coated lead bullet using the xsmall Dillon powder bar..

#30 ·
That should be a light load. And for those wondering, the aquarium pump bill-e uses is to vibrate the powder measure device and make the powder drop more accurate. I use Hornady gear and don't have to worry about accuracy. LOL just joking. Den

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.