700X Powder

This is a discussion on 700X Powder within the Reload Bench forums, part of the General Category category; As I have stated before, I have started reloading 45 ammo and I am blessed to have a great guy willing to tutor me. He ...

Thread: 700X Powder

1. #1 700X Powder 
    As I have stated before, I have started reloading 45 ammo and I am blessed to have a great guy willing to tutor me. He uses 700X powder for handguns and it works fine. The loads we are using are effective, accurate, and pleasant enough to shoot. My only complaint, if you want to call it that, is that it is clearly dirtier than the factory loads I shoot. Do you like 700X powder? Suggestions?
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

2. #2 Re: 700X Powder 
    I've used 700x for 30 years in the 380 ACP up to the 45 ACP and several in-between. It works OK, and years ago was considered a "clean" burning powder, at least cleaner than Bullseye. It just doesn't meter as consistently as some others available because it's a large flake powder. It's primarily used for 12 gauge target loads and I've loaded many thousands of them with this powder. It's not my go-to powder for handguns, but it'll work. BTW, all powders are "dirty" to some extent. That's why we have cleaning rods, solvent, patches, etc. I clean after every shooting session, so dirty powder is no problem. I use a lot of Unique, too, and that's a dirty, but outstanding, powder.

3. #3 Re: 700X Powder 
    I love the smell of a just fired reloaded AA shotshell that was rolled with 700X. Just typing that brings back the memory. Like Idaho Spud, I've loaded many thousands of shot shell and also a ton of .45 ACP rounds with 700X. It probably wasn't the best powder, but I always had several pounds on hand so it was convenient.

When you say it's dirty, are you seeing unburned flakes for just soot?
    Avid Mouse Gunner and author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

4. #4 Re: 700X Powder 
    I should have been clearer on that. No, I don't see unburned powder but there is a fair amount of soot on the outside of the muzzle extending back 2 inches or more. That is more than the purchased ammo that I have used. I also clean after any shooting so it is not a huge deal for me. Just asking some of you for insight since I am brand new to loading my own ammo.

5. #5 Re: 700X Powder 
    That's just the nature of the powder. Now that you mentioned it, I remembered that I would wipe the soot off the front bead of my shotgun as I was moving from trap to trap. It got quite dirty in only 25 shots. As long as the dirt is external, I don't see the harm. Unburned flakes are a different story in an auto-loader since they tend to stick to the lube on the rails and could potentially gum up the works over a prolonged shooting session.
    Avid Mouse Gunner and author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

6. #6 Re: 700X Powder 
    A lot of what appears to be "soot" or dirt on the front of handgun barrels (and cylinders) is residue caused by firing cast or swaged lead alloy bullets and is really the melted lubricant from said bullets. It's one of the things we have to deal with when we want to shoot a bit more (and more cheaply)

7. #7 Re: 700X Powder 
    (Note: With regard to posted reloading data - mistakes, typos, etc. happen. Always check any poster's powder charge amount with a reputable reloading manual from Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, etc. before duplicating to ensure it is within safe limits. We highly recommend that you begin with the manual's suggested starting load and work your way up after testing each step in the process.)

Big dog.
    I used to have a problem with some powders for reduced loads.
    Each powder has it's own optimum operating pressure.
    I used to load 8.5 grs of Unique in a 44 Mag. case with a cast 250gr. and the cases were always smoke covered.
    I upped it to 10grs.
    All good.
    The 44 has a large case capacity compared to the 380acp.
    Be accurate with powder measurements in a small case, as pressures can rise sharply with a slight increase in powder.
    700X was created for shotgun use and is designed to run in that pressure range (hence compatible with some auto rounds).
    Some of my favorites are WW231, and of course the legendary Bullseye (which has been improved recently).

(Required warning paragraph added by moderator. Please read rules at top of Reload Bench forum.)
    To err is human.But to blame it on someone else is even more human!!

8. #8 Re: 700X Powder 
    For small case pistol cartridges (.380, 9mm, for example), I have found that a more modern powder by Alliant - their Power Pistol powder - is a far better choice than the old standby powders such as Unique and Winchester 231 and even 700X.

I've used 700X, but not for a long time. I just did some research and found that I'd used it for .380 loads with 80gr Super-Vel bullets. If the bullet brand & type doesn't tell y'all how long ago that was, the price on the can of 700X that I have (still 3/4 full) was priced at $1.95 (yes, less than two bucks)!!
    Skip Douglas

9. #9 Re: 700X Powder 
    Thanks everybody. Skip, that $2 powder may be a collector's item.

RDM1911A1, right now all I am loading is .45 acp. I have a pretty big stockpile of 9mm and .380 but I can't seem to stockpile .45 ammo. I think there are two reasons for that.

1. It costs so much.
    2. I shoot it up as fast as I get it bought or loaded!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads