.380 loads for a 95 LRN and red dot

This is a discussion on .380 loads for a 95 LRN and red dot within the Reload Bench forums, part of the General Category category; Anyone using red dot powder and cast bullets? My grandfather gave me a *huge* keg of red dot and my lyman manual lists red dot ...

Thread: .380 loads for a 95 LRN and red dot

1. #1 .380 loads for a 95 LRN and red dot 
    Anyone using red dot powder and cast bullets? My grandfather gave me a *huge* keg of red dot and my lyman manual lists red dot loads for a 90 grain and a 120 grain cast bullet. I couldnt find cast bullets online in either grain weight that would work, but I did find 95 grain bullets from missouri bullet company for cheap. So,my question is, can I use the 90 grain cast bullet data for the 95 grain bullet? Anyone have any other loads? Also have a few pounds of green dot I can have for free, anyone have any experience using that?

2. #2 Re: .380 loads for a 95 LRN and red dot 
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyCO
    So,my question is, can I use the 90 grain cast bullet data for the 95 grain bullet?
    No - at least not for the high end loads. A heavier bullet will create higher pressures. Thus, I'd start just a bit below the low end load data for the 90 grain bullet and never exceed some 5% to 10% below the max load data for the 90 grain bullet.

Be aware that for ALL load data published in the forum, you must add the following paragraph to each post that has load data:

(Note: With regard to posted reloading data, mistakes, typos, etc. happen. Always check any poster's powder charge amount with a reputable reloading manual from Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, etc. before duplicating to ensure it is within safe limits. And we recommend you begin with the manual's suggested starting load and work your way up.)

Copy the paragraph in its entirety including the commands to make it show in red.
    Skip Douglas

3. #3 Re: .380 loads for a 95 LRN and red dot 
    Good advice! Not looking for full power loads, just enough juice to practice with and cycle the pistol.

4. #4 Re: .380 loads for a 95 LRN and red dot 
    Just in case anyone had any interest, I used the following load with good results:
    Missouri Bullet company 95grn LRN and 2.1 grains red dot. Pistol functions well and the spent brass doesn't go far. It is very soft shooting. Perfect for plinking. I'm using a lee dipper. Simple and fast.

(Note: With regard to posted reloading data, mistakes, typos, etc. happen. Always check any poster's powder charge amount with a reputable reloading manual from Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, etc. before duplicating to ensure it is within safe limits. And we recommend you begin with the manual's suggested starting load and work your way up.)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads