New LCP shooting 12" low at 10 yards

This is a discussion on New LCP shooting 12" low at 10 yards within the Range Card forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; New owner. First time shooting since purchase. 50 rounds...no failures...no unruly recoil...felt/feels good in my hand. Only thing is I think I will have to ...

Thread: New LCP shooting 12" low at 10 yards

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New LCP shooting 12" low at 10 yards 
    New owner. First time shooting since purchase.

50 rounds...no failures...no unruly recoil...felt/feels good in my hand.

Only thing is I think I will have to aim for the head to hit the chest...?

Bought a large paper with 6 targets...each about 12" from one another.

Started on bottom right at 10 yards (modified Weaver - 50yo male - helps keep shakiness to a minimum) and didn't see a hit...

Hmmm...another shot and not on target.

For shiite's and giggles I raise my aim another 6" and still nothing. I'm thinking what have I done wrong.

Now I'm worried that either my eyes have gone completely crazy or I'm just plain messed up and should sell all my pistols.

I finally get a small sand bag rest, kneel down, and aim at the 2nd highest target (2nd from bottom)...steady...no shakiness.

BAM! Hit the BOTTOM right target bulls eye. Round after round aimed at the target 12" higher get in the lower target...?

Don't know if I should call Ruger and have them fix/file the sight or just take it to a local gunsmith and have him sight it in and file the front sight down.

2. #2 Re: New LCP shooting 12" low at 10 yards 
    What ammo are you using? Could be a weakly charged lot of .380 causing this.

One thing I've learned from my LCP is to utilize the end of my index finger pad, about 2/3 up from the joint. Otherwise, the long trigger squeeze can make my POI lower than my POA. I don't think you need to grind your sights down. I think they've been ground down enough.
    -James
    My Blog Gear Reviews, Gun Rights Issues, Emergency Preparedness
    Now on Facebook

3. #3 Re: New LCP shooting 12" low at 10 yards 
    Mine shot low the first time out but once I got used to the sights my POA is pretty much were my POI is. It took a liilte to get to know the sights. The more I shoot the better I'm getting.
    Jim
    Ruger LCP, Buck Mark Camper, Beretta Neos, Bersa 380, Springfield EMP, FNP9

4. #4 Re: New LCP shooting 12" low at 10 yards 
    The sights on an LCP are a joke, especially when it comes to combat shooting. The most important things are to have a pistol that fits your hand properly and train your finger to handle the trigger properly.

What do I mean by having the pistol fitting the hand properly? Simply put, when I grab a pistol with my eyes closed and raise it to a shooting position the sights should be aligned pretty closely when I first open my eyes. If that cannot happen repeatedly with a particular pistol, then I do not purchase that pistol. A combat pistol should point as naturally as pointing your index finger at a target. If you have to find the sights with your eyes, you will be wasting much too much time in a combat situation.

If the pistol points naturally for you and you still have a problem with off-center hits all in one direction from where you intended, you may need to train yourself in how to handle the trigger - especially with the kind of trigger the LCP has.
    Skip Douglas

5. #5 Re: New LCP shooting 12" low at 10 yards 
    PX
    [quote=cmay28580

Don't know if I should call Ruger and have them fix/file the sight or just take it to a local gunsmith and have him sight it in and file the front sight down.
    [/quote]

cmay:

Respectfully I would suggest you rein in the distance you are shooting from. Elsie, as with all other mouseguns are designed for close up personal defense, and because of that I do all of my concealed carry self defense pistols at 3 yards, max.. (I use 7 yards max for my 9's/45ACP).

I consider a mousegun as my last ditch, "get off me" weapon, and consequently I have for decades practiced "point and shoot" as my technique, and it works pretty darn good. I believe if a person cannot just point his pistol at the center mass of a threat at three yards AND HIT IT, he/she needs more practice..

Another option, if you have the interest, is getting a Crimson Trace Laser for your elsie.. My elsie was surprisingly accurate before I put the laser on it, but the potential accuracy is increased by a large degree using the laser.

Some folks just naturally don't care for lasers, but at 67 years old my eyes and shaky hands need all the help they can get..

I've noticed that age and declining vision has a way of often "converting" many a gun owner who previously scoffed at the value of a laser on a self defense firearm... Not all of course, but a goodly percentage....

My previous daily carry 380 pistol was the fine Seecamp LWS380.. I consider the Seecamp to be the highest quality, smallest and easiest to conceal of all mouseguns. But "tiny" brings with it more recoil, and the Seecamp has no sights whatsoever.

In a close up self defense situation the "point and shoot" accuracy of the LWS380 is absolutely adequate, but shooting the little pocket rocket is not for the faint hearted... It's a hand full. Even saying that, IF I could get a Crimson Trace Laser for the LWS380 it would still be my first choice for everyday carry because nothing I've found conceals any easier than the Seecamp.

But, I am a "laser lovin' kinda guy" and I've had Crimson Trace Laser(grips) on several of my firearms for a long, long time.. I love 'em, and contrary to what some folks think I DO believe a red dot on the chest is intimidating to most bad folks excluding perhaps some rogue leo/military type professionals..

I don't think "rogue leo/military professionals" are out gang-banging, car jacking, or theatening old farts such as myself, so I consider a laser as a wonderful addition to your self defense firearm choice.

Ruger has a wonderful reputation for Customer Service and satisfaction, so if you are discouraged with the accuracy of your particular elsie, by all means send it back.. I'm betting the good folks at Customer Service/Warranty repair will resolve the issue for you and you'll be a happy camper with your LCP.

But, even if you are satisfied with the accuracy of your LCP I would still recommend you consider a CT/Laser for it... It's worth the money, can make your elsie a "tack driver" at a reasonable self defense distance, and there's always the chance the red dot on the chest will make some predator reconsider messing with you.

Of course it may not help, but bet it won't hurt..

Just for reference the photos below show the results of 6 rounds fired from my LWS380 (three yards, standing but resting on a golf cart frame for stability), and the 2nd photo shows the results of 7 rounds fired from elsie (with CT Laser) under the same conditions.. (The missing 7th round went thru the hold made by the other 6 I think).

Best Wishes,

jesse

"Laus Deo"

6. #6 Re: New LCP shooting 12" low at 10 yards 
    Many of us experience the same thing the first time out. We're used to shooting a lot more gun than Elsie and she has that... personality.

Long trigger pull, grip, and finger mechanics can really push your shots low left for a righty. The little girl with short sights isn't as forgiving as a larger handgun. Try keeping the trigger centered on your finger pad. That eliminates the pull arc experienced when the trigger is kept at the joint. More straight back pull, less sideways push, greater accuracy.

I know my eyes are terrible with the minimalistic sights and a laser can help. I also try to keep practice with her to 7 yards and she's awesome up to that. With her short barrel, accuracy falls off pretty quick and greater distance seems to just result in throwing lead.

With all that said, she does what her designers intended and does it very well.

7. #7 Re: New LCP shooting 12" low at 10 yards 
    +1 to the other comments. A distance of 10 yards is probably way too far to expect any kind of decent accuracy from the LCP. That's not a slam on the weapon or on the shooter - it's just a combination of factors (sights, long trigger pull, small frame grip, etc.) that I know many folks here initially have had the same problem when they first shoot the LCP, especially if they haven't used a mouse gun before. Yes, the sights suck, plain and simple but as others said, this weapon is meant for more of an up close and personal experience. It can be accurate at a distance but you've really got to work at it. I'm sure the sights are fine but you've just got to work with her some more and work on the trigger pull. Dittos on the laser also....I added one to mine and I pretty much just do point and shooot drills and the CT has helped tremendously in that respect. I'm pretty darn accurate with mine, with and without the laser at around 5-7 yards and it falls off after that.

Also, try some snap caps or even just dry fire (it WILL NOT hurt the LCP) at a target and really pay attention to how much you are pulling and/or dropping the gun when you fire. The laser helps even more in this respect as in my case at first when you fire you might be amazed at how much you are really pulling the gun down when the trigger breaks when that red dot jumps down off bottom of the cardboard. It doesn't take much movement at the gun to translate into a 12" drop @ 30' away. Just practice being more aware of the trigger and get some more rounds down range (a little closer) and I guarantee your accuracy will improve.
    DEMOCRACY is two Wolves and one Sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
    LIBERTY is a well armed Sheep contesting the result!

8. #8 Re: New LCP shooting 12" low at 10 yards 
    PX
    FWIW:

Of the mouseguns I've had before (or still have), and that would include a KT P32, 2 NAA Guardians (32acp), one Beretta Tomcat (also 32acp), two LWS32's and one LWS380 my Ruger LCP was by far the most accurate of the bunch, right out of the box using whatever sights the others came with (or came without)..

I found the inherent accuracy of my Ruger LCP to be surprisingly good even before I put the CT/Laser on it.

For my self defense needs in a cc firearm RELIABILITY comes first, then good accuracy at self defense distance.. That's all a....al...all..alllll. folks..

Any quality beyond that, as with the surprisingly accuracy using just the small standard sights on the LCP is just gravy.....

IMO the LCP, is simply an excellent choice in a very small mousegun, offering the 380cal round, at a price most folks can afford.

Having the option of buying an affordable laser for elsie, manufactured by who I consider as one of, if not THE, best laser manufacturer in America, Crimson Trace, is some of that gravy I was talkin' about..

Just personal opinion, no offense to those who might disagree.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

P.S. And for me, I found the Ruger fingertip mag extensions are a plus too....

"Laus Deo"

9. #9 Re: New LCP shooting 12" low at 10 yards 
    It might also be a good idea to use your weak hand thumb to put a little pressure on the frame. My weak hand grips the gun and my strong hand a little firmer so the trigger finger only has to think about the trigger. I've found a comfortable place to rest my weak hand thumb is on the trigger guard right where it meets the frame. It's almost as if Ruger thought about it.

I practice with my LCP at 5-7 yards.
    -James
    My Blog Gear Reviews, Gun Rights Issues, Emergency Preparedness
    Now on Facebook

10. #10 Re: New LCP shooting 12" low at 10 yards 

Interesting range report. It reads like you've been around a few ranges in your day (Weaver Stance, Paper Target selection and sand bags). No doubt you have closely examined the weapon and would have noted any obvious defects. Who knows you may have gotten a lemon? That's of course worth taking a closer look at.

My LCP doesn't like Lawmens or reloads. So ammunition choice is a consideration.

One handing the LCP is no doubt how I would use the Mouse Gun in an up close and real personal situation. Without the magazine extension, I'd be gripping it with a thumb, a fore finger and a bout 1/2 of the third finger. I have to grip this thing real tight, locking the web of the thumb underneath the rear, but below the hammer area. Hammer bites make for avoidable conversation at work for at least a couple of days. Roll the thumb against the grip and press down onto the right fore finger. In short you have to get a bear grip on this thing.

The double grip, as described by others, is best accented by using the weak hand to lock your grip in tighter. Placing the index finger on the left side of the trigger, below the slide of course, allows for extra pressure. Lock the left thumb below the right thumb and place the remaining three fingers in a support position, as shown above. I use the same grip on a Sig P-239 and it works for me.

The Ruger LCP is of course like any other Mouse Gun and designed for up close and personal situations. I can get 2 in to 3 inch groups on a paper plate at 15 yards, but at 5-7 yards, I can put them in a shirt pocket. Forget head shots with this thing, unless you're up real close. There's more than one reason derringers were called belly guns.
    I don't carry a weapon and look for trouble, I carry one just in case trouble finds me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads