Ruger Pistol Forums banner

New LCP II & LCP gen. 1 for comparison

6K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  mr.mike1407 
#1 ·
So I picked up my new LCP II today as I said in some other threads.
I know some don't agree but I did shoot it right out of the box.
I shot 50 rds of federal 95g. fmj & 30 rds of perfecta 95g. fmj
I do really like this pistol , the only hiccup was 1 time racking the first rd. when the slide was locked back it did not chamber that rd. but I do think it was me not the gun.
I do have a LCP gen. 1 with a heavier recoil spring & hogue grip, I have shot this gun a lot but not for a year or so, it is my wife's carry.
Shooting the two of them back to back both my wife & I say this LCP II is an improvement over the gen. 1 .
The trigger was the big difference as for as shooting.
The only draw back is my wife does like it :concern:

#3 · (Edited)
From what I gather, there's no question that the LCP II is easier to shoot than the LCP Gen 1 or Gen 2. The question is whether or not it's safe to carry. Neither the LCP nor the LCP II have external safeties. Some folks, myself included, consider that the long DA trigger pull on the LCP acts as the gun's safety. The LCP II loses that safety by having a short, light trigger pull. If it were my wife, I'd discourage her from carrying an LCP II for that reason . . . particularly if she were going to carry it in her purse unholstered where the trigger could easily get snagged on something or she could fire it accidentally.

I'd suggest you read this before you hand your wife the LCP II, Mr. Mike:

http://www.unclegeorgeswalletholsters.com/Pages/LCPIIWARNING.aspx

SAFETY FIRST!!!

#4 ·
From what I gather, there's no question that the LCP II is easier to shoot than the LCP Gen 1 or Gen 2. The question is whether or not it's safe to carry. Neither the LCP nor the LCP II have external safeties. Some folks, myself included, consider that the long DA trigger pull on the LCP acts as the gun's safety. The LCP II loses that safety by having a short, light trigger pull. If it were my wife, I'd discourage her from carrying an LCP II for that reason . . . particularly if she were going to carry it in her purse unholstered where the trigger could easily get snagged on something or she could fire it accidentally.

I'd suggest you read this before you hand your wife the LCP II, Mr. Mike:

LCP II WARNING

SAFETY FIRST!!!
His view on the safety and trigger are precisely my own. I felt this way, before I ever saw his post. I will not purchase the gun. No debate, this is my choice and I respect the opinions that disagree. I will disagree with your comment Bruce that he new model is easier to shoot. I think that may be subjective in opinion. The Gen 2 was a fantastic trigger. The Hogue gipe really helped the gun. The lighter trigger on the LCP ll would not make any significant difference in my personal shooting proficiency of the gun.
Personally I think this forum should place his written view of this new gun in a "Sticky", No harm in issuing a warning, one which could possibly save one's life. After they are properly warned then they can at least make a informed judgement/decision.
I know there are a lot of newbies that purchase a LCP for their first firearm. I would bet many do not even understand a lot about triggers. No experience with light triggers especially. the LCP, which is not the easiest gun to grab, manipulate/control properly to target etc. Add a light trigger and you might have a perfect storm.

#6 · (Edited)
Yep. Purse carry is difficult. Have you ever watched a woman put something into her purse? It seems to go into whatever compartment is the most readily available at the time. At least that's how it works with my wife. And I've been watching her stuff stuff into her purse for over 41 years.

If a woman is going to carry a gun in her purse, I agree that she should dedicate a compartment to it and NEVER put anything in that compartment but her gun. It should be the most easily accessible compartment in her purse. She should cover the trigger with something like a BORAII and attach the lanyard to the handle of her purse so that when she draws her weapon, the trigger guard disengages quickly. A gun in a purse with an exposed trigger is an accident waiting to happen. JMO

PS: I like it when you and I have a meeting of the minds, Dave. It makes me feel as if I actually know what I'm talking about. :)

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
We were leaving a store in a big busy parking lot , not far away were a bunch of young loud rowdy people 2 or 3 started our way I looked at my wife to say something about it & saw she already had her hand in the compartment on her gun. No nothing happened.
Not long after that she was looking in her purse for something & then started out the door , I asked where you going , to ask my car if my keys are in my purse she said.

#9 ·
Reminds me of a time at the range, actually a couple of times. These two gals would come in. Nice looking girls, sort of on the rough side but attractive. Now these girls were NO NONSENSE! They would walk in, not hardly say a word to each other. One would shoot a number of mags, while they other would reload magazines. They would just churn them out! Man, these girls could shoot. I mean they did not mess around. Fast, point and shoot and could zero those targets like they were born to. They would burn through a Lot of ammo. Then as if on command, they would pack up, not hardly say a word and leave. It was like "WHO ARE THEY"? Well for one, they are my kind of a women. Nothing more attractive and sexy than a woman that can shoot better than myself. Heck shoot better than anyone on the range.
Over the years, I have not forgotten them, and have often wondered who they worked for. They were obviously Professionals of some kind and did not look like cops.

#15 ·
They handled those guns like they were born with them. Fast on mag inserts, no looking, just reacting. It takes years to get as good as this. Everything was so quick, no thinking, just reacting. Homeland Security, CIA? We have a large unit of Navy Seals in my area, I have met many. Never heard of female seals, but maybe huh? There equipment bags, range and magazines were just black, with no logo's or writing. They were also physically fit.Not bulked up, just more solid. They only had a few words to say to the other. No high five's, hey good shot, nothing. Then as if on cue, they just quickly packed up and left. How often do you see women that don't talk? I kind of got the feeling they were getting ready to ship out for the job,and hit the range to get that ready feel/quick tune up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.