Ruger Pistol Forums banner

The LCR 9mm and why it will be one of two pocket guns

9K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Clarkston_CZ 
#1 · (Edited)
Not much interest in other guns. Not to many LCR owners here. But it say's from the title LCP forum. So I get it. No problem.

#3 · (Edited)
For what it's worth, I think the LCR in its various configuations and the S&W J-frames (admittedly with trigger jobs) are the best choices for revolver pocket carry. If it were me, however, I'd probably go for the J-frame with a custom trigger job because I was raised on S&W's and the Airweights are a little more compact than then LCRs. You can't go wrong either way, however. :thumbsup:

Oh, and if you think I didn't stick a J-frame and an LCR in my pocket for fit before I bought my LCP, you'd be mistaken. The LCP won on the basis of comfort and concealability . . . but it was a close race. In my heart of hearts, I'll always be a revolver guy!

#4 ·
The butt of my Chief sticks out of my pocket .The cylinder is way thick . Not even close to a LCP . About twice as heavy .

#6 · (Edited)
Yep. But I'm only willing to dedicate one pocket to pocket carry and my LCP fulfills that role. I've never been an IWB kind of guy and my OWB carry is reserved for my SP101 . . . especially now that I have a belt I can use to support it thanks to you . :)

#7 ·
I really do not want to hijack your thread. Butttttt lol...

How are the factory grips with drawing from a pocket? Does the tackiness or width of them hinder that. I only carry in shorts. Front right pocket. Not cargos but same type of material just minus the cargo pocket.

#10 · (Edited)
I think there is some confusion in the category for the term "Pocket gun". I don't put the LCR, the LC9 etc in that classification. Pocket guns, like the Pico, Seacamp, LCP etc. are Pocket Guns. The others Light Carry, light duty or what ever. Both my LCR and LC9 I would not carry in a pocket. My bad for the title of the thread reading "Pocket Gun".

That said, my LC9mm weighs 17 oz. same as the LC9. A LCR 38 plus P weighs 13 oz. Now that revolver with a Batam Book Grip in the Pocket may work for some folks. The Boot grip makes a significant reduction in concealment and size.

#11 ·
Pocket gun is a relative term. Most people do not carry the G43 in a pocket but I do with the same shorts described above. It's a tad too big for pocket carry at times but it's not horrible.

I could easily see pocket carrying an LCR or J Frame. But again that's just me and only in certain situations. A small revolver for me a quick trip need or working around the house.

#13 ·
Thinking about the Hiviz myself. Right now I use the Testors florescent paint. I have the truglo TFX on LC9S and really love that sight. Hand the Big Dot on my previous LC9 and that dot may be better suited for the LCR. I think for just daytime shooting you can't beat the Hiviz. Did you put the HiVIZ on yourself. It looks from video's that you have to do a lot of filing down.

#16 ·
The pin that holds the sight on was a bear to get started. I may have had to file the front of the pin to get it started.
What you probably needed was a pin starter - a punch with a hole up its middle just a hair larger than the pin diameter.

I made a whole set of starter punches for roll pins. They make a HUGE difference when inserting pins into holes.

#20 ·
Range report with LCR9mm. I was elated to see that I actually shot the LCR9mm with great results with the Hogue Bantam Boot grips. This was the best shooting done with the LCR between all the grips. (Factory Hogue, Pro Diamond). A year ago, I first started shooting he snubby and was a lousy shot. It became my new challenge. Most people will tell you a snubbie revolver is hard to shoot. I will tell you that with practice you can get really good with one. And they sure are fun to shoot! The Talon grip material on the Hogue Boot grip held up perfectly.

I tried to hold the gun in various positions. The best way for me to hold it, was firm, with pressure on the indentation for thumb on the left side of the grip. (Just like it was intended). This grip really made my day. It makes the gun much more concealable and it visually looked lighter, and seem to feel lighter to carry.

#22 ·
Not yet, I will spend a few week/months getting good with the gun in general, Later I will move into the one hand. Headed to the range again today with the LCR,

Heck, I think I will shoot a few rounds with one hand toward the end of the session. I actually think it might work ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.