.327 Federal American Eagle 85 grain vs 100 grain?

.327 Federal American Eagle 85 grain vs 100 grain?

This is a discussion on .327 Federal American Eagle 85 grain vs 100 grain? within the LCR Discussion forums, part of the LCR category; I like the idea of 6-shots with my new LCR, but find the 100 AE ammo to be very hot. Is the 85 grain American ...

Like Tree1Likes

Thread: .327 Federal American Eagle 85 grain vs 100 grain?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 .327 Federal American Eagle 85 grain vs 100 grain? 
    I like the idea of 6-shots with my new LCR, but find the 100 AE ammo to be very hot.

Is the 85 grain American Eagle stuff that's 100 fps slower (per the Federal website) any tamer.

The 100 grain AE ammo was shot with the Diamond Pro rubber grips.

My Speer 100 grain stuff with the Hogue TAMER grips.

I did get more recoil with the 100 gr. AE and also a lot more blast from the muzzle and even some to the clylinder area. Also some sticky extraction on my second cylinder.

I'm wondering if I should have waited to buy the 9mm LCR?
    Last edited by SkipD; 12-25-2016 at 02:21 PM.
    Denny4kids likes this.
    "I am a soldier
    And it's love that I'm fighting for
    I am a soldier
    And the battle belongs to the Lord
    ".-Unspoken.

2. #2 Re: .327 Federal American Eagle 85 grain vs 100 grain? 
    Sorry you seem to be having what appears to be some dissatisfaction with the LCR 327. I personally have no experience with the round other than just internet ballistics discussions and reviews. As you have seen in other post, it is reported to be a loud round and a expensive round if you like shooting it very often. Maybe some re loaders have some advice if you wanted to go that route. I cannot speak for the pistol with that round, but can say, as I have said before in other threads, I personally love the LCR in 9mm. It has worked out well for me and I shoot it often. And of course 9mm is one of the least expensive ammunition's and very available. I even have reloaded some light rounds that new shooters enjoy shooting. The LCR itself is as you know a very short barrel snubbie. It takes a while to get use to for accuracy, at least it did for me. But I put in the time and it has paid off. For me, it is one of my "Fun Guns". I enjoy a day at the range with it. I really do not carry it CCW very often. I hope things work out for the best. If you decide to sell it, I doubt you would have a hard time. Sorry I could not answer your question about the Federal Low Recoil ammo. I would be interested in hearing what others have to say about that ammo.

3. #3 Re: .327 Federal American Eagle 85 grain vs 100 grain? 
    Thanks.

even with the amazingly hot as hades 100 grain American eagle ammo.

My gun was printing a cloverleaf group@10 yards. It was very loud, but very accurate.

I could see the bullets literally punching holes next to or on top of each other on the target.

I'm glad I wear both earplugs and earmuffs when I'm at the indoor range.

The 9mm LCR is another option, but then again, there is the issue of Crimp Jump.
    Last edited by SkipD; 12-25-2016 at 02:22 PM.
    "I am a soldier
    And it's love that I'm fighting for
    I am a soldier
    And the battle belongs to the Lord
    ".-Unspoken.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: .327 Federal American Eagle 85 grain vs 100 grain? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkston_CZ View Post
    Thanks.

even with the amazingly hot as hades 100 grain American eagle ammo.

My gun was printing a cloverleaf group@10 yards,

It was very loud, but very accurate.

I could see the bullets literally punching holes next to or on top of each
    other on the target.

I'm glad I wear both earplugs and earmuffs when I'm at the indoor
    range.

The 9mm LCR is another option, but then again, there is the issue of
    Crimp Jump.
    The Crimp Jump is internet crap. Yes, some cheap range ammo and a few others may give Crimp Jump. Those comments on the net are, in my opinion some guy that does not get involved with serious shooting and leaning about his gun. Yes, like a lot of weapons, Pistols, rifles, even Pellet rifles and Pistols, they have a preference. There are many 9mm ammunition's out there that this gun eats like M@M's. Some will crimp jump. OK, so just do not feed it any bad ammo that taste like rotten fish to this gun. I personally stock up on American Eagle for this gun and have no problems. I also have done a lot of reloads with no problem. Do not let specific bad ammo for this gun deter your buying. Yes, some guns like my SR9C and LC9S seem to devour any plate of food you bring it, this refined revolver does like a certain diet. And it does not have to be a expensive diet either. It is NOT a Prima Donna on Ammo.
    Seriously, When I hear some internet guy complain about selling the gun because of Crimp Jump, my first thought is contacting him right away and make him a offer for this lousy gun that Jumps Crimp. Agree with him, tell him the gun is a piece of crap and let him make a offer to you to take this junk off his hands. You may get the deal of a life time.

6. #5 Re: .327 Federal American Eagle 85 grain vs 100 grain? 
    I think this is a worthwhile read of a Mas Ayoob thread at GlockTalk on the LCR 9mm bullet jump issue :

Ruger LCR 9mm bullet-jump safe ammo | Glock Forum at GlockTalk.com
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

7. #6 Re: .327 Federal American Eagle 85 grain vs 100 grain? 
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzer007 View Post
    I think this is a worthwhile read of a Mas Ayoob thread at GlockTalk on the LCR 9mm bullet jump issue :

Ruger LCR 9mm bullet-jump safe ammo | Glock Forum at GlockTalk.com
    Here is a fantastic article by Mas Ayoob on the Ruger LCR 9mm. Take note where he emphasizes that this gun is 100% reliable. Yes, I completely agree. This is really a very fine revolver in all aspects. I do agree with him that the front sight needs to be lowered. However, everything else about this gun is First Class all the way.

Massad Ayoob Examines the Ruger LCR 9mm

8. #7 Re: .327 Federal American Eagle 85 grain vs 100 grain? 
    I enjoy shooting this gun so much that I pretty much have decided my next gun will be the LCR 22.cal. It is my belief that shooting small pocket guns make you a better shooter. I can't tell you how much I love shooting the Phoenix HPA 22. These short barrel guns really hone your skills. Fast and quick point shooting. And you can do a whole lot of shooting for a whole lot less.

9. #8 Re: .327 Federal American Eagle 85 grain vs 100 grain? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkston_CZ View Post
    I like the idea of 6-shots with my new LCR, but find the 100 AE ammo to
    be very hot.

Is the 85 grain American Eagle stuff that's 100 fps slower (per the Federal
    website) any tamer.

The 100 grain AE ammo was shot with the Diamond Pro rubber grips.

My Speer 100 grain stuff with the Hogue TAMER grips.

I did get more recoil with the 100 gr. AE and also a lot more blast
    from the muzzle and even some to the clylinder area

Also some sticky extraction on my second cylinder.

I'm wondering if I should have waited to buy the 9mm LCR?
    Sounds like you should be reloading your old brass. My 44mag only costs me .17 cents a round to reload. Depending on the powder you will net 750 rounds from a $20 pound of powder. A inexpensive single stage press would be great for getting started in revolver reloading. Take your time and learn. You would be in control of projectile weight and velocity. I even have a special box that was light loaded for new shooters to try and if they show interest then they will move up to hotter loads. Great hobby! Den
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

10. #9 Re: .327 Federal American Eagle 85 grain vs 100 grain? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny4kids View Post
    Sounds like you should be reloading your old brass. My 44mag only costs me .17 cents a round to reload. Depending on the powder you will net 750 rounds from a $20 pound of powder. A inexpensive single stage press would be great for getting started in revolver reloading. Take your time and learn. You would be in control of projectile weight and velocity. I even have a special box that was light loaded for new shooters to try and if they show interest then they will move up to hotter loads. Great hobby! Den
    I started with a Lee hand press. I actually enjoyed it. I would just work in stages and use a hand primer. Might work well for Clark since he mentioned he does not shoot a lot. It looks like bullets would be about the same cost as 9mm, not sure about Brass. But for sure collect all of it after shooting.

As Denny mentioned, you can tailor make your own loads. Might find a load that does not have as much recoil if that is what you prefer.
    Last edited by davevabch; 12-13-2016 at 04:26 AM.

11. #10 Re: .327 Federal American Eagle 85 grain vs 100 grain? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny4kids View Post
    +1 toytraindoc
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads