Who makes "springiest" LCR moon clips?

Who makes "springiest" LCR moon clips?

This is a discussion on Who makes "springiest" LCR moon clips? within the LCR Discussion forums, part of the LCR category; The biggest problem with moon clips is them getting bent and tying up the cylinder. So the "best" moon clips, in the long run, are ...

Thread: Who makes "springiest" LCR moon clips?

1. #1 Who makes "springiest" LCR moon clips? 
    The biggest problem with moon clips is them getting bent and tying up the cylinder. So the "best" moon clips, in the long run, are those that can be bowed the furthest and still spring back flat. So the "best" will be made out of the steel with the highest yield strength.

"Most" carbon steels have higher yield strength than "most" stainless steels. But some stainless steels have very high yield strengths. Steel yield strength varies from less than 30,000 psi to well over 100,000 psi.

Until you exceed the yield strength, all steels have the same resistance to bending or "Modulus of Elasticity". 30,000,000 psi inches per inch.

So has anyone tested the various LCR moon clips - Ruger, TK, Speed Beez, other? - to see which can be bowed the furthest without taking a permanent "set".

2. #2 Re: Who makes "springiest" LCR moon clips? 
    I buy mine at "http://www.tkcustom.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=10

Obviously more money, but I have never had any problems with the Standard Ruger and I shoot my LCR 9mm often. Also posted about the subject under LCR thread.
    Last edited by davevabch; 01-21-2016 at 09:31 AM.

3. #3 Re: Who makes "springiest" LCR moon clips? 
    I think I have a lifetime supply of the Ruger clips. So far, no bends or problems. I decided to go with a Tuff Strip for extra ammo carry.
    Avid Mouse Gunner and author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Who makes "springiest" LCR moon clips? 
    Note: on my post above that should have been Tk moonclips not revolver store- Sorry for the confusion. Welcome to TK Custom.com
    Last edited by davevabch; 02-04-2016 at 04:32 PM.

6. #5 Re: Who makes "springiest" LCR moon clips? 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    Note: on my post above that should have been TX moonclips not revolver store- Sorry for the confusion. Welcome to TK Custom.com
    I use TK Custom clips with the Taurus M380. Nice clips and generally more available than the Taurus Stellar clips.
    Avid Mouse Gunner and author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

7. #6 Re: Who makes "springiest" LCR moon clips? 
    To me the standard Ruger clips are the best. The cut out between cartridge seats enables me to reset the clip to hold the relief more tightly. My aftermarket practice clips are not adjustable as they are solid steel without the relief cut out.

I've yet to bend any clips, OEM or aftermarket.
    "Oh, pardon me. For some reason you sounded a little taller on radio."

8. #7 Re: Who makes "springiest" LCR moon clips? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ljutic View Post
    I think I have a lifetime supply of the Ruger clips. So far, no bends or problems. I decided to go with a Tuff Strip for extra ammo carry.
    lol, I have a lifetime of them as well, load up about 15 of them before a range session. None of them have ever dented/bent etc. Last time at the range, I realized I had left my box of moonclips ammo at home. No problems, gun ran great on just single loading into the cylinders. Just more time consuming. the tuff strips are good advice, thanks.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads