Bigger Hogue grip, LCR 9mm

Bigger Hogue grip, LCR 9mm

This is a discussion on Bigger Hogue grip, LCR 9mm within the LCR Discussion forums, part of the LCR category; Wow, what a difference. Adding the pinkie to the grip keeps the muzzle down 20% better (147 gr Win Train) compared to the stock grip. ...

Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Bigger Hogue grip, LCR 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Bigger Hogue grip, LCR 9mm 
    Wow, what a difference.

Adding the pinkie to the grip keeps the muzzle down 20% better (147 gr Win Train) compared to the stock grip. A little more shirt print at 4:30 carry, but it is Summer and I NEVER tuck in except for church!
    "Oh, pardon me. For some reason you sounded a little taller on radio."

2. #2 Re: Bigger Hogue grip, LCR 9mm 
    I don't have an LCR (kind of wish I did) but I can attest to the difference a bigger Hogue grip makes. I added one to both my S&W Bodyguard .38 and Taurus Poly Public Defender 45/410. A Lot more pleasant to shoot with the Hogue grips. Both were kind of hand stingers before.

3. #3 Re: Bigger Hogue grip, LCR 9mm 
    It's nice to have that last finger on the grip.
    I have to admit. I'm not disagreeing. For me personally. I was pleasantly surprised with my LCR. I didn't even realize when looking at it in the store.
    That two finger grip. For me personally. Those same two fingers are what a person uses with his right hand in golf. That's all. The other two just lay there. They could extend out, but looks stupid. So I have lots of training using those two fingers to grip. There is also a reason for that in golf. The other two fingers just bring calamity. Overcorrectness in different ways. Use big muscles that don't goof things up. Use those two middle fingers to grip to weaken the corrupt overcontrol of the right hand.
    When shooting the LCR. I was surprised. The barrel is short. So jump or twist isn't a problem. Just hold it steady and the bullet is off going where it should. I had to figure out the two finger grip analysis. Didn't think of it before. It does help me with good shooting. I feel very natural with it.
    BTW: I have the 357.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Bigger Hogue grip, LCR 9mm 
    I go back to Sam Snead's description of gripping the club only tightly enough to "hold a small bird safely" within the two handed grip. I think it is a point more of leverage. The pinkie is the furthest force vector from the main action (muzzle rise), and even being the weakest of the digits, it has remarkable power to counter the upward vector upon firing.

Like the Royal and T'Gallant sails of a square rigger; they may be much smaller, but being distant from the force vector (the drag of the water against the hull), they give as much power as a Course or Topsail at 1/10th to 1/5th the physical size due to the "distance" from reaction force to drag.

Yes, you can steady the weapon using middle and ring finger, but the reflex against the muzzle rise of the pinkie comes in on the follow up shot(s), and that is where I'm seeing the greatest improvement in a $23 upgrade. I also notice that I'm not "regripping" between shots, but this may be as much a part of the drag of the skin against the rubber as the muzzle flip.

There was much comment on the Ruger produced video of the early 3" LCRX in .38 SPL where the factory shooter was regripping on each shot. Not sure of his level of expertise (you'd have to figure it was better than average"....

6. #5 Re: Bigger Hogue grip, LCR 9mm 
    I have to ask. Seriously don't mean to argue. But.... What muzzle rise?
    It may be that I have had extensive experience shooting revolvers. Six to eight inch barrels. There is muzzle rise and twist. I don't notice any rise or twist with my LCR?
    On my analogy with the golf grip. That is a rationalization trying to figure out why it's so shootable to me. It just is. I just grab it and shoot. Never any problem.

7. #6 Re: Bigger Hogue grip, LCR 9mm 
    Probably more in line with getting the sights back down for the 2nd shot.

At 5 yards, the natural rise when using the longer grip is perfect for a mid trunk followed by "head" shot on an IDPA target.

The "2 to the heart, 1 to the head" (on paper) is a little harder to do, and really a chore when using the smaller grip.

8. #7 Re: Bigger Hogue grip, LCR 9mm 
    May I ask exactly which grip this is you bought? Is it the Tamer with no finger grooves? That looks very much like a Jerry Miculek grip. Good reasons for that grip. Yup...only downfall is less concealability.

On the two shot. Practice a bunch. And the double tap becomes second nature. I love El Capitan.

9. #8 Re: Bigger Hogue grip, LCR 9mm 
    Yes....that's the one I say looks very much like a Jerry Miculek grip. I'm considering trying that or the Bantam. I'm open minded enough to try something even though I really like what I have. Just for the sake of: Will it actually work better for me?

I want to check and make sure. That Tamer doesn't have plastic sides on it. Does it? Like the Bantam? Doesn't look like it.

EDIT: I also want to add. I look forward to finding out more on that Pachmayr. At one time they were king. I remember getting a Hogue for a Redhawk. Thing was just plain too big. Pachmayr had one that worked good for me. Always open minded and trying what works best.

10. #9 Re: Bigger Hogue grip, LCR 9mm 
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieHunt View Post
    I'm considering trying that or the Bantam.
    I'm using the Bantam on my LCR 9mm because of the slick plastic sides. So much better for pocket carry. Not so much better for faster follow up shots. I carry the revolver more than I shoot it so I accept the trade off.
    Avid Mouse Gunner and author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

11. #10 Re: Bigger Hogue grip, LCR 9mm 
    what model grip is that? I could sure use something on 327 Mag.
    Last edited by pokerace; 05-06-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads