Ditch the extension grips

Ditch the extension grips

This is a discussion on Ditch the extension grips within the LCR Accessories forums, part of the LCR category; Some of you know that I have moved on to the Pico as my CCW pocket pistol. It has become such a pleasure to shoot. ...

Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Ditch the extension grips

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Ditch the extension grips 
    Some of you know that I have moved on to the Pico as my CCW pocket pistol. It has become such a pleasure to shoot. Most beginners will not like the gun or shoot it well. But for those that are avid shooters of pocket guns, you may find that fall in love with it as I have.

One thing I have learned. Surprisingly the small thin grip will actually fit like a anchor in between the third and forth fingers with the flush Magazine. It really does provide a solid hold with the gun especially with the grip tape I had placed on it.

I had placed the LCP and the Pico side by side for comparisons many times in the past month. Actually they are very similar in design and the grips, without the extension magazines on the LCP's.(Gen 2). Obviously the two biggest differences is the Thinner Pico, and the fact that the Pico has a larger bore axis. Larger receiver/ heavier receiver made out of Stainless Steel.

So, what I found out with my shooting the gun, is yes, what I had originally thought was that the Pico flush or flat magazine plate would be the best choice of shooting the gun. It is. It is also my belief now that the long finger extension is not for shooting at all, but for pulling the gun out in certain carry options. The long finger grip would make the shots pull down and left and they did.

Light bulb now turned on! So bingo, I have shot thousands and thousand of rounds out of LCP's and while I am very accurate with the gun, the shots no matter how tight the group were, would always have a low left pattern. So, I took the LCP to the ranges early am yesterday. But this time I took the LCP but with one difference. I had removed the extended magazine base plates and replaced them with the flush/flat mounted Plates. LOL, PROBLEM SOLVED! The gun now anchored better just like the Pico and the gun zeroed more accurately.

So it is now my belief that Ruger knew what they were doing from the beginning. Extended base plates came later, which gave the NEWBIE (like myself at the Time) the perceived notion that the plates actually controlled the gun better. When actually I was just not accustomed to shooting such a small pistol. Man this took me a long time to learn and thousands of rounds to figure it out.

I suggest you try it. But only if you are a experienced shooter of these guns. Newbies will still have to get use to just shooting the gun and morphing into the dynamics of handling a pocket pistol.
    Another suggestion, Ditch the Hogue grip. Shoot the gun the way Ruger engineers designed the gun in the first place. Shoot the gun enough times without the grip, master it just like it was made and guess what? The Hogue will feel like a fat inner-tube around your stomach if you go back to it. (PS, I wear a size Large almost extra large glove, and I have long fingers). This did not make any difference when I finally learned how to shoot the gun after many rounds.

These are my opinions and solutions that have come my way from just plain get out the door and shoot experience. It is also one of the reasons I now love the Pico. While both guns are great guns, the heavier slide on the Pico eliminates the heavy "slap" of the LCP and provides a much milder shooter with much less recoil even with hot ammo. Plus it conceals even better. And as I have mentioned, NOT A GUN FOR THE BEGINNER.

I have given you some food for thought. You will never know until you at least try. And it may require patience and practice. Hopefully your ending will be as happy as mine.
    Last edited by davevabch; 04-29-2017 at 06:46 AM.
    keithdog likes this.

2. #2 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Still no failures at all?And hows the new one?
    Last edited by pennsy; 04-29-2017 at 07:13 AM.

3. #3 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Quote Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
    Still no failures at all?And hows the new one?
    The gun has been churning out every ammo I can think of. I have lost count at present. Will have to go back and look at all my online orders, and check existing stash, should be around 600 or more. I am not going to be concerned with how many rounds with this gun, I feel confident it will hold up for thousands and with two guns it will just be a inconvenience to try and keep up. Just ordered a 1000 rounds from Freedom, more Fiocchi. The second gun still has not arrived or even shipped as of Yesterday. Usually Bud's is pretty good, they have it listed as moved into the shipping department. Hoping I will get a shipping notice Monday.

Interesting thing about the trigger. I spent time each night loading up the Gen 2 and the Pico with snap caps. I would then take each gun in both hands and pull the triggers. Then switch hands. They are very very close with the Pico a few pounds stronger in pull. The odd thing is that now the Gen 2 almost seems to light lol. This is after shooting so many rounds through the Pico. However when shooting the Pico I do not even notice any heavy pull until around 150 rounds into the gun. But I now prefer the Pico trigger. Regardless, both are great triggers. And I will stand by my statement that I believe double action guns are great for pocket guns and much safer than some of the stuff out there now.

But here is something I am thinking about. Perceived trigger on a heavier double action. Practice with the heaviest trigger possible and the gun you shoot with, will be even feel much lighter. Hence also safer.
    I have a very heavy double action Pellet gun that I will use for training this summer. Might even try using a finger exerciser for better grip, I alway's have used a grip exerciser. I have one at home and one in my car. Lol, My right hand is much stronger now than my left. I get lazy and don't switch over like I should. I also have a set of dumbells that I do three times a week for the wrist and use one for holding the gun up in shooting position. I practice pulling the weight up and I practice holding it in shooting position for as long as possible and then repeating. Makes long range session easier, and gives more support to any firearm.
    dkma22 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Wow . You take it to a different level . I practice lifting 16 oz Busch . Thanks for reminding me about the grip exercisers . I always had them around but they all disappeared with the kids . I'm going to pick them up at Wally World . The arthritis may not allow it though . With all the shooting you do you should get paid for it or at least get some free ammo from a sponsor . Start your own YouTube channel .LOL

I am in the process of removing my pinky extensions also .

6. #5 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Start your own YouTube channel . LOL
    +1. I'd follow it for sure.
    davevabch likes this.
    Self-defense Rule #1: Time is of the essence!

Ruger 10/22, Muzzlelite Stock Bullpup
    Beretta Bobcat, .22 Rimfire
    Ruger LCP Gen. 2, .380 ACP
    Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

7. #6 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Wow . You take it to a different level . I practice lifting 16 oz Busch . Thanks for reminding me about the grip exercisers . I always had them around but they all disappeared with the kids . I'm going to pick them up at Wally World . The arthritis may not allow it though . With all the shooting you do you should get paid for it or at least get some free ammo from a sponsor . Start your own YouTube channel .LOL

I am in the process of removing my pinky extensions also .
    Yes the 16 oz makes a good workout, I prefer the 32 oz. I now get all my running exercise jumping out the car and running into the store for a six pack lol.

You tube channel for guns? We need to eliminate most of them. I take all of them with a grain of salt. It would not work for me. I am too blunt, and would end up throwing a certain gun against the wall and beating it with a hammer. Might be dark entertainment for some. Really do not understand why people do these. Heck, if Hickcock45 was the only one, it would not hurt me. I do like a few others but it is a short list.

Now hold my beer and watch this

8. #7 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Hickok is the best . I take the others with a grain of salt . Like all media . Those curved mag extension Ruger gives out are to make the pistol look cool I think . And that tiny little extra is enough to make them print in the pocket and even the belt for that matter .

9. #8 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    I trust you guys judgement to do whatever you wish. I like mine for the extra finger grip plus I like the extra round extensions for certain types of carry, but that's just me. I shoot fine with them. Groups are tight an to my satisfaction. To each his own.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

10. #9 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Quote Originally Posted by mukwah View Post
    I trust you guys judgement to do whatever you wish. I like mine for the extra finger grip plus I like the extra round extensions for certain types of carry, but that's just me. I shoot fine with them. Groups are tight an to my satisfaction. To each his own.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    If you are going to use them , you might a well get an extra round out of it . I made my 7 rounder my spare mag for the rare occasion I carry a spare mag .

11. #10 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    I use the Ruger 7 round extended mag in the gun for my EDC, just works better for me. I also added the Hogue grip sleeve b/c Elsie slid around in my hand after each shot while using the flat mag base & the extended base. Again, to each his/her own but thanks for posting. I made my decision after shooting several hundred rounds.
    davevabch likes this.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads