Ditch the extension grips - Page 2

Ditch the extension grips

This is a discussion on Ditch the extension grips within the LCR Accessories forums, part of the LCR category; Dave, I have a different view. I use the Hogue grip. It helps to position my trigger finger better on the trigger. I also use ...

Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Ditch the extension grips

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Dave, I have a different view. I use the Hogue grip. It helps to position my trigger finger better on the trigger. I also use the 7 rnd extension. It allows my 2nd finger to have a much better perch on the grip. And yes, it makes for a more controlled draw. To each his own.
    Last edited by louchia; 05-08-2017 at 04:20 PM.
    davevabch likes this.

2. #12 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Quote Originally Posted by louchia View Post
    Dave, I have a different view. I use the Hogue grip. It helps to position my trigger finger better on the trigger. I also use the 7 rnd extension. It allows my 3rd finger to have a much better perch on the grip. And yes, it makes for a more controlled draw. To each his own.
    I am not trying to change the way a person feels most comfortable with. That is all good. I felt the same for years and had a Hogue on for years, later took it off, and put in back on briefly and it felt horrible. Of course as I have mentioned, I now shoot the Pico on a regular basis. My only suggestion was to give it a try for a while. The Pico has a extended grip, the Ruger has one. But you have to look at the design and come to a conclusion that they will force the gun to push the barrel down when the gun is fired. Yes, the extended grips can be adjusted to, but is this natural for the real engineering of the guns? I do not think either gun was.
    I have also wondered over the years, if this unnatural force of pushing the magazine into and against the gun would cause failures in some guns? Since magazines have been know to cause many failures in guns.

These are just random thoughts. Maybe nothing. I am glad I did move away from the extended mag extensions, but yes, that is just me. And if you are happy with your results, and the Hogue feels comfortable then no need to fix it, if it ain't broke.
    louchia likes this.

3. #13 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Maybe the engineers have little hands.
    davevabch likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #14 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Hmmmmm. I'll try it, why not. I'm not as concerned with printing as I used to be but I'll always try something if it makes me shoot better. The grip extention does feel better tho but I'll try it

6. #15 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Quote Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
    Wow . You take it to a different level . I practice lifting 16 oz Busch . Thanks for reminding me about the grip exercisers . I always had them around but they all disappeared with the kids . I'm going to pick them up at Wally World . The arthritis may not allow it though . With all the shooting you do you should get paid for it or at least get some free ammo from a sponsor . Start your own YouTube channel .LOL

I am in the process of removing my pinky extensions also .
    So, you're saying Dave could be the new Hickok45? I like that idea!

7. #16 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Quote Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
    So, you're saying Dave could be the new Hickok45? I like that idea!
    Lol, I am not even worthy of shining the man's shoes. I would love to shoot with him some day. I am not above being embarrassed. He always closes with "Life is Good". Yea I would say living with your own outdoor range and shooting all day is about as good as it gets. God broke the mold after creating this shooting son of a gun. Just a pure Natural ability honed to a razor sharp edge after so many years and experience.
    Last edited by davevabch; 04-29-2017 at 06:19 PM.

8. #17 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Dave, I always like your input on things. I may not agree 100% of the time, but it's always good food for thought. I'm kind of new here, only a few months, but your in put is to be commended as far as I am concerned. I belong to a bass fishing site that has guys like you and they are a major contribution to the site. So thank you. Today I shot the LCPII I was recently gifted by my son. I shot it very well I think the way it came with the extended finger plate installed to the magazine. I can't wait to try it again without the finger extension. Thank you for your input and opinions. AND, if you decide to put out YouTube videos, I think they will go over very well. There are a lot of guys who would enjoy seeing you smash a crappy gun with a sledge hammer!
    davevabch and ETS like this.

9. #18 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    I have two of the grip exercisers, one in my car, and one on the second shelf of my coffee table. Many, many sets of 20 on each hand daily.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    davevabch likes this.
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

10. #19 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    Quote Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
    . Today I shot the LCPII I was recently gifted by my son. I shot it very well I think the way it came with the extended finger plate installed to the magazine. I can't wait to try it again without the finger extension. Thank you for your input and opinions. AND, if you decide to put out YouTube videos, I think they will go over very well. There are a lot of guys who would enjoy seeing you smash a crappy gun with a sledge hammer!
    Keith congrats on your new LCP ll. I am sure the gun will give you many years of pleasure. I loved reading about how your son gifted you with this gun. That was more important than any info or shooting experiences with different guns that we talk so much about. I really hope you and your son can stay together and shoot together in the coming years. You should be so proud of him.
    I hope you shoot that LCP ll often, and get to love shooting the Pocket guns like I do. Thank you so much for the post about your gift. Thousands of post about gun here, but some post are remembered more than others and yours will stay with me.
    Just like post with Denny and his sons, and others. Keep on shooting the LCP my friend and keep us posted on range results.
    keithdog likes this.

11. #20 Re: Ditch the extension grips 
    I despise grip extensions. They change the geometry of the grip enough I find the gun harder to control, and I have large hands. I grew up shooting single actions, the grips are generally small enough my little finger curls under them adding a tremendous amount of control. Same with the pocket rockets, use your pinky for control.

I get a kick out of folks adding big finger grooved Houge type grips. It eliminates the ability of the gun to roll in your hand causing your wrist to absorb more recoil and I find it harder to get back on target for a follow up. Ever see Miculek, or others, using a finger grooved grip?
    Ruger -Charger, LCP, 1911, Single-Six, Mk III, Charger, GP-100, Blackhawk 41, Super Blackhawk 44, Super Redhawk 480
    S&W - Model 60 .357, Model 29 44
    1911 - Ruger SR-1911, Kimber Tactical II, Colt Gold Cup, Rock Island 1911A1, Springfield EMP (9mm), GSG (22lr)
    A few other auto loaders
    Numerous Single Action wheel guns
    Too many long guns to list...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads