Unloading the chamber

Unloading the chamber

This is a discussion on Unloading the chamber within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Hi. I've experienced some difficulty unloading the live shell from the chamber on my new LCP. This is unique compared to my two other automatics. ...

Thread: Unloading the chamber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Unloading the chamber 
    Hi. I've experienced some difficulty unloading the live shell from the chamber on my new LCP. This is unique compared to my two other automatics. What is the best method?

2. #2 Re: Unloading the chamber 
    I like to tilt the gun to the side so it ejects downward and I pull the slide back by pinching it with my thumb and index fingers in front the ejection area which allows the bullet to fall right in my hand

3. #3 Re: Unloading the chamber 
    I usually do this with the mag removed and use grap the slide with my left thumb/index finger and cover the ejection opening and the live round falls into the magwll into my right hand that is holding the gun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Unloading the chamber 
    I also remove the magazine, pull back slide and tilt gun sideways and shake
    Better to have it and not need it, Than to need it and not have it!

6. #5 Re: Unloading the chamber 
    Is the round getting stuck on the extractor? If I don't pull the slide hard and fast all the way to the rear my rounds will hang up on the extractor and not eject. Anyone else? This is the only gun I have ever had this occur on.

7. #6 Re: Unloading the chamber 
    Quote Originally Posted by croutson
    Is the round getting stuck on the extractor? If I don't pull the slide hard and fast all the way to the rear my rounds will hang up on the extractor and not eject. Anyone else? This is the only gun I have ever had this occur on.
    The LCP's design has a lot of compromises in it to get it so small. One of those compromises is the size of the extractor. The forces involved in manually extracting a round are not anything like what happens after firing a round, and extracting a loaded round is very different from extracting an empty case.

Nothing is wrong. It's just the way it is with the LCP (and probably most competitive pistols of the same size).

To extract a loaded cartridge from the chamber, merely drop the magazine out and pull the slide back with medium force and speed. Allow the cartridge to drop down through the empty magazine well. It's simple.
    Skip Douglas

8. #7 Re: Unloading the chamber 
    My LCP "throws" the chambered round out of the top 99.9% of the time. The other 0.01% I have to jiggle the pistol until it comes out the bottom.

9. #8 Re: Unloading the chamber 
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD
    Quote Originally Posted by croutson
    The LCP's design has a lot of compromises in it to get it so small. One of those compromises is the size of the extractor. The forces involved in manually extracting a round are not anything like what happens after firing a round, and extracting a loaded round is very different from extracting an empty case.

Nothing is wrong. It's just the way it is with the LCP (and probably most competitive pistols of the same size).

To extract a loaded cartridge from the chamber, merely drop the magazine out and pull the slide back with medium force and speed. Allow the cartridge to drop down through the empty magazine well. It's simple.
    I wish it were that simple, if I do as you suggest the loaded round will hang on the extractor every time. After getting stuck I have to hold the slide back and shake the crap out of my LPC to make her let go of the round. I also own a Colt Compact, Keltec p32, Glock 26, Ruger P89 and none of them do this. My LCP is flawless under normal shooting conditions but it is annoying when it happens manually unloading it.
    Thanks for your response.

10. #9 Re: Unloading the chamber 
    Hi. Thanks for the responses. I am using Golden Saber hollow points. I am not certain where it hangs up, at he base or the hollow point. But I am a bit concerned when this live round is jammed. I unloaded several times with different speeds and I think a very firm, fast pull on the slide best ejects the round.

11. #10 Re: Unloading the chamber 
    You can all ways use the slide hold open lever. Put your thumb nail under the lever and push up then rack the slide. This will hold the slide open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads