LCP Modifications - Please Read

This is a discussion on LCP Modifications - Please Read within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; The forum moderators have noted several posts of late regarding material modifications to the LCP. We believe that subject should be approached with extreme caution ...

Thread: LCP Modifications - Please Read

1. #1 LCP Modifications - Please Read 
    The forum moderators have noted several posts of late regarding material modifications to the LCP. We believe that subject should be approached with extreme caution for the following reasons:

* Ruger does not endorse any modifications and an owner doing so will void the warranty.

* An inappropriate modification could render the pistol unsafe.

* There are serious legal implications should a modified handgun malfunction and injure a bystander. This parallels the warning regarding the use of +P ammunition in the LCP.

* Elsiepeaforum.com does not endorse recommendations that stray from Ruger's, or other gun manufacturers, stated position on this matter.

* Ruger provides disassembly instructions that do not go beyond basic field stripping of the pistol. They will inspect and repair any known defects, usually at no charge to the owner. Most parts may be ordered from Ruger, but they warn in the manual that proper installation is the owner's responsibility and liability, thus the lack of further detailed disassembly instructions.

* Firearms are designed, engineered, manufactured and tested by experts. The average owner is not a qualified gunsmith and should not experiment in these often troubled waters.

* The LCP has a extremely high reliability/functionality rate OTB. Too often we note a procedure being recommended that implies that a serious product deficiency exists when that is not the case.

Please think carefully about advice you provide and advice you accept regarding the modification of the LCP. We simply are pointing out what we feel is in your best interest. There are certain applications that we do not consider as material modifications, such as the fluff and buff routine that many of us have adopted. In fact, most threads related to that issue specifically warn the member/guest to remove the bluing only and do not alter the metal beneath. Discussions regarding concerns about the LCP are encouraged. If a consensus is reached, then the concern and recommendation(s) if deemed appropriate should be forwarded to Ruger for consideration.

Thank you for listening and please do be careful. One accident is one accident too many.

The Moderators

2. #2 Re: LCP Modifications - Please Read 
    Hank (Tarheel), excellent post. I too am a little concerned about some of the recent tutorials that I have read, albeit I have to say, they are extremely informative, enlightening at times, and well-written. And if I can speak for all the moderators at Elsie, I think we have some of the most knowledgeable and willing-to-share members (did I say well-behaved too?) of any online gun forum. Having said.....(you knew it was coming ), keep in mind that the LCP is a mass-produced weapon and while it may lack some of the refinements found in other guns costing hundreds more, has a stellar out-of-the-box record for reliability and simplicity. There is very little that needs to be done to this gun that will provide a significant improvement - know and accept its limitations, appreciate its strengths.

Nevertheless, the occasional problem will occur that cannot be addressed with the simple mods we've suggested (fluff and buff, feed ramp and chamber polishing, proper lubrication and cleaning, etc all discussed here and elsewhere in the forum). In those cases, it is best to send your gun back to Ruger for a look (and a fix). You are dealing with a company with perhaps the best customer service in the industry and that should provide a degree of comfort.

When considering a home "make it better project" a couple of thoughts to keep in mind.....

1. Do you have the requisite skills to perform the job? (In my case, my tool kit at home consists of a butter knife and the Yellow Pages. If i can't fix it with the butter knife, I grab the Yellow Pages.) In short, know your limitations.

2. Do you have the proper tools to perform the work?

3. Are the benefits to be derived worth the expenditure of time and potential risk to your gun, your safety, and your warranty?

4. Have others with a comparable skill level performed the work successfully and did they experience a significant improvement in functionality?

5. Simple parts like guide rods can be replaced at no charge (I am told) - Ruger will keep you in guide rods forever if necessary should the part need to be replaced. Frames, barrels, and slides are a different story.

The LCP is a relatively simple design point and shoot pocket .380, but IMHO, it's the best $300 point and shoot pocket .380 available on the market today at that price point. It has an excellent reputation, kudos to you for choosing wisely. Don't go overboard in an attempt to improve. There is the danger of going one step forward and two steps back.

Rich
    "Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars."

3. #3 Re: LCP Modifications - Please Read 
    This topic has been placed in the LCP Technical forum as a Sticky per the suggestion of several members and the moderators concurring. The thread has been edited and is now locked. Thank you for your supportive thoughts on the matter.

Hank

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads