LCP trigger job?

This is a discussion on LCP trigger job? within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; I'm down to the LCP vs. the Taurus TCP. I like everything about the LCP better than the Taurus except for the trigger. The Taurus ...

Thread: LCP trigger job?

1. #1 LCP trigger job? 
    I'm down to the LCP vs. the Taurus TCP. I like everything about the LCP better than the Taurus except for the trigger. The Taurus has a lighter trigger with a slightly shorter pull.

Is there anything that can be done to an LCP to improve the trigger? Or would such modification be unsafe?

2. #2 Re: LCP trigger job? 
    imvho, such a modifications would be VERY "unsafe", but that's jmo. The ONLY safety on the LCP is a) the long, hard trigger pull, and b) the 5" between your ears. The "Worst Case" consequence of putting a "light trigger" .380 (sans safety) in MY front pocket with the muzzle pointed where the muzzle normally points, is not really something i want to think about.

StaySafe,
    MG
    ...my third carry piece was a U.S. Army P-1Alpha Pershing Missile with a XXX kt. thermonuclear warhead. I never got a chance to use that one either.

3. #3 Re: LCP trigger job? 
    Quote Originally Posted by dgposton
    Is there anything that can be done to an LCP to improve the trigger? Or would such modification be unsafe?
    The trigger system in an LCP can be smoothed up by someone with the proper knowledge, experience, and tools.

I would not consider this a "modification", but merely getting the pistol's trigger mechanism working more like it was designed to work as opposed to what we get with high volume production.
    Skip Douglas

4. #4 Re: LCP trigger job? 
    dragonman
    If used in a defensive situation adrenaline will operate the trigger regardless of the pull weight....

I would spend the time and money on training with the trigger as is. Many owner are proficient marksmen with the factory trigger, use will also smooth it out a bit.

5. #5 Re: LCP trigger job? 
    Quote Originally Posted by dgposton
    I'm down to the LCP vs. the Taurus TCP. I like everything about the LCP better than the Taurus except for the trigger. The Taurus has a lighter trigger with a slightly shorter pull.

I had a Taurus TCP and got rid of it. Came with defective magazines, hard to use magazine release and the assembly pin kept coming out and it finally egg shaped the hole in the frame where the pin goes in. What a piece of crap. Go to Taurus Armed and read about all the problems people are having with them, which is most of them.
    The LCP is of much higher quality. I haven't had one problem with mine and it is just as accurate, even with a slightly heavier trigger.

6. #6 Re: LCP trigger job? 
    ..dg, I would never buy a first generation gun. I think that holds doubly true for Taurus pistols. The LCP has its' own share of probs when first introduced, but those have apparently been corrected, as few negative reports surface these days. Usually when someone encounters issues we find a little fluff and buff, plus shooter technique advice takes care of the matter.

I own a UntraLite 85 and have never had an issue with it...but it's a revolver. Taurus has improved over the years but they still haven't gained their sea legs in the pistol category, IMHO. I have watched several forums for months following the TCP reviews authored by owners, not one-time-out professional writers of gun critiques. The reports are positive and negative, however the extremes are...well, way too extreme. The probs encountered are often serious, requiring a return to Taurus. There are many recent reports of a 6 week turnaround time...that's not acceptable.

The TCP has some very nice features and is a dandy pistol...if it functions properly. Personally, I'd go with the LCP simply because its' over the growing pains period. Give the TCP another year and reevaluate. You can probably work out a swap for not much of an investment loss. Becoming accustomed with trigger travel on the LCP is quickly realized with use. My $.02.

Tarheel

7. #7 Re: LCP trigger job? 
    I agree about the LCP trigger. Once you practice with it a bit, the trigger is a non-issue. The only other people that seem to complain mightily over the LCP trigger are the guys accustomed to Kimbers and the like with uber light and crisp trigger pulls. You aren't buying that with a LCP. What you are buying is an inexpensive self defense weapon with no other safety but that long trigger pull. I personally don't mind it, but I'm used to the long trigger pull on double action revolvers.
    -James
    My Blog Gear Reviews, Gun Rights Issues, Emergency Preparedness
    Now on Facebook

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads