How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Chamber Entry

This is a discussion on How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Chamber Entry within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; The ramp seemed really smooth so I didn't do some of the intermediate steps. I went right to the Dremel with felt tip and the ...

Thread: How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Chamber Entry

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Throat 
    The ramp seemed really smooth so I didn't do some of the intermediate steps. I went right to the Dremel with felt tip and the polishing compound and polished at low speed. In just a couple minutes the ramp was like mirror finish. I'll try to get a pic.

Steve
    Sig Sauer 226 9mm
    Colt Python .357 Mag
    Ruger Single Six .22LR/WMR
    Ruger LCP .380
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Browning Buckmark UDX 5.5 .22LR
    Glock 26 9mm
    Glock 35 40 S&W
    Kimer Ultra Carry .45

All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.... Edmund Burke

2. #12 Re: How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Throat 
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLiver
    I took a dremal with a tapered felt tip bit, and using a bit of Permatex value grinding compound with my dremal speed set to 1000 rpms ran this over my feed ramp and at the top of the breech (chamber). Breech had groves / tool marks on top part, this didn't take away much metal if any but really smoothed out these sections. I don't believe this was a problem area for me just something I felt needed done.
    Liver, you're makin' me nervous here. The goal is to polish NOT to take off metal or alther the geometry in any way. Sounds like you're fine and that you know what you are doing, but when I read about "grinding compound," removing tool marks, etc. a warning light goes on. Keep in mind, in some hands, a Dremel is more dangerous than a nuclear Iran.

Steve, you did good.
    "Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars."

3. #13 Re: How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Throat 
    A dermal felt tip when dipped in valve compound, imbeds itself in the felt and makes the felt IMO about like 1600 or lighter sandpaper, very smooth for polishing. This compound when used the way it is supposed to be, between metal to metal or valve to valve seat, would be too much. On my breech I took a very sharp pencil and ran it along the inside top of the chamber, and could feel the small groves / tool marks that I could also see with my loupe. I use the loupe to see fine marks and to do work that would be impossible to see. After running the felt over and through the chamber the pencil ran smoothly along the chamber. I know this sounds different but I have done this to all my auto feed ramps and they come out smooth as a babies behind. My LCP is the only auto that I have had a less then smooth breech to start with. Anyway the final results, after several FTF’s in the first 2 or 3 boxes of ammo, in fact in almost every magazine, is that my LCP now with 600 rounds has never FTF once since the treatment and I can and do trust it to go bang every time. I just went out Thursday and fired a box of AE, box of Rem. and a box of WWB and all was well.
    My Ruger's:
    Ranch Mini14 .223
    Single Six 6 in. .22
    LCP .380
    SP101 2 1/4 in. .357
    PC4 Carbine .40

4. #14 Re: How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Throat 
    Sounds like you know what you're doin' Liver.

5. #15 Re: How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Throat 
    I have always been the type that if it ain't broke don't fix it. That being said I am curious to know would y'all recommend polishing if you have not had any probs

6. #16 Re: How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Throat 
    Indy, don't fix what ain't broke if it has even the slightest potential to screw things up. Polishing only polishes. It can't hurt but can only help when done responsibly. Your call.

7. #17 Re: How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Throat 
    I'm an average mechanic, and would love if someone posted a youtube video on this topic as I dont trust myself with the technique yet. I will do some searching....

8. #18 Re: How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Throat 
    OK - not going to do the youtube thing but.....here's some stills. I used a Dremel tool with cone polishing felt (fits perfectly) and dremel compund. I used med speed and just lightly polished for about 30 seconds total (Intermittently).

As you can see, it's like a mirror finish. Don't have any "before" pics but it really feels like glass now.

Good luck - easy to do .

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Chamber Entry-img_0041.jpg   How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Chamber Entry-img_0042.jpg   How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Chamber Entry-img_0043.jpg   How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Chamber Entry-img_0044.jpg  
    Sig Sauer 226 9mm
    Colt Python .357 Mag
    Ruger Single Six .22LR/WMR
    Ruger LCP .380
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Browning Buckmark UDX 5.5 .22LR
    Glock 26 9mm
    Glock 35 40 S&W
    Kimer Ultra Carry .45

All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.... Edmund Burke

9. #19 Re: How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Throat 
    I want to polish the feed ramp and the barrel on my LCP. I don't currently own any tools to do this. What would I need to purchase to do the whole job and how much can I expect to pay?

10. #20 Re: How-to: Polishing the LCP Barrel Feed Ramp & Throat 
    Quote Originally Posted by stevec717
    OK - not going to do the youtube thing but.....here's some stills. I used a Dremel tool with cone polishing felt (fits perfectly) and dremel compund. I used med speed and just lightly polished for about 30 seconds total (Intermittently).

As you can see, it's like a mirror finish. Don't have any "before" pics but it really feels like glass now.

Good luck - easy to do .

Dremel compound? Do they sell it separately or is it only in a polishing kit? Need to check my Dremel, might have come with some compound, I have never used it for polishing just cutting out old toilet bolts and sink and tub drains. Its also great for grout removal.
    Bushmaster M4 Patrolman 556/223
    Ruger P94 40cal.
    Ruger P95PR 9mm
    2 Ruger P95DC 9mm's
    Ruger LCP .380
    Colt Cobra CTG .38 Special
    Raven Arms MP-25 .25 Auto
    Mossberg 500 12ga

Member of the VCDL ~ www.VCDL.org
    Lifetime NRA Member ~ www.nra.org

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New