Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why?

Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why?

This is a discussion on Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; My LCP is only a few months old and runs fine the way it came from the factory. When I see a video recommending a ...

Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? 
    My LCP is only a few months old and runs fine the way it came from the factory. When I see a video recommending a Wolf 13# recoil spring instead of the factory 9# spring I wonder what the benefit is. Can someone advise? I've never been one to change internals on any weapon carried for self defense but I admit to being curious. Thanks in advance . . . .
    Denny4kids likes this.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

2. #2 re: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? 
    ETS
    No advantage I can see---suspect poss. damage to the LCP may be more likely. Would just change factory springs from Ruger when you think it prudent.
    rayzer007 likes this.
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, SR 22, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

3. #3 re: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? 
    Splinter, search the forum on changing the recoil spring. There has been a lot of discussion on changing the spring and the spring number to use. I hope this will answer your question.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    μολὼν λαβέ

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 re: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? 
    Will do, thanks (I'm new here).
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

6. #5 Re: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? 
    If I change a spring, it comes from Ruger, or whoever made the gun. I never replace any internal gun part with any after market part. I trust the engineers to know what springs are right for proper function. Changing to something else may have desired short term effects but not so good long term.
    davevabch likes this.

7. #6 Re: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? 
    I actually like shooting Elsie and shoot her pretty well. I applied the same logic w/my J frame weapons, also difficult to shoot due to recoil. Thanks for your input.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

8. #7 Re: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    The Spring changing thing, IMO started when the LCP first came out. It seemed to be a main topic on forums. Post everywhere about which wolf spring was the best and on and on and on. I bought into it as well. I believe it was because the Little Pocket gun was so hard to shoot. We wanted a false crutch to help with the snappy recoil. Some gimmick that would all of a sudden make the gun manageable. It was a mass denial of facts. The fact that these guns were just miserable to shoot. A little Bucking Bronco that we just could not ride.
    Once I got over my denial, I decided that I was going to ride that SOB regardless of how hard he wanted to buck. Every week I would go to the range and take a ride, and every week he would throw me off his back into the ground. The more he threw me in the dirt, the more I became determined to put him in his place.
    Well then one day, I rode him, I did not go into the dirt. He figured out who was boss. Every week more, we became a team, If I did my Part, he would do his. It got to the point that he actually became fun to ride, my skills became better and better. Always, improving.
    I now have NO problem with recoil of this Little Gun. In fact I do not even notice it. I can shoot it very accurately and I can do it well, shooting it fast from the draw. And it opened up a door for a new hobby of shooting small pocket guns. I find them more fun to shoot now than bigger guns.

So my advice, shoot more, save your money for ammo. And you will find out that recoil springs are not the problem with the gun. The one that comes with the gun is perfect.

*note: Last night, I looked in my drawer of parts and saw that I have no less than five recoil springs from Ruger, springs that I use to replace for future maintenance. All in their little plastic bags. I also noticed that I still have a Old Wolf #12 unopened and it reads "Extra Heavy". I alway's get ready to just throw it in the trash, but then realize it is for nostalgic sake that I keep it. Also a reminder that it is not springs that will make the shooter, it is just consistent training.
    Leave it to you to turn a boring topic about springs into a good story . Thanks , Dave . You missed your calling .

9. #8 Re: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? 
    I had a problem with my original version LCP that I solved partially with manually smoothing the action (polishing certain areas with fine stones) and finally by using a 11# recoil spring. The problem was a very frequent failure of the slide to go fully into battery when charging the first round from a fresh magazine. I still use the 11# spring.

I suggest that nobody change springs without having a well thought-out reason and definitely not just because chatter on a forum suggests that some people have done so and liked the results. The stronger springs may actually cause long-term problems by significantly increasing the force of the slide when moving forward.
    Skip Douglas

10. #9 Re: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? 
    And I couldn't lock the slide back with a 13# spring. I've put the factory spring back in.

11. #10 Re: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? 
    ETS
    And, since it seems so many of us are so safety conscious, wonder how much the danger of an ND increases trying to pull back the slide on such a small gun with a stronger spring?
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, SR 22, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads