Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? - Page 4

Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why?

This is a discussion on Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Originally Posted by bld522 Exactly. Most importantly, however, what would you recommend to those who are experiencing a problem manually chambering the first round from ...

Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? 
    Quote Originally Posted by bld522 View Post
    Exactly. Most importantly, however, what would you recommend to those who are experiencing a problem manually chambering the first round from a full magazine that isn't overcome by slingshotting the slide . . . install an aftermarket spring or call Ruger?

My concern is that people who don't know what they're doing will change their LCP innards willy-nilly based on the fact that you changed yours and have absolutely no idea what effect that will on their LCP and perhaps more importantly, their legal position if they ever have to defend themselves in a court of law. As I said before, your opinion carries more than the average amount of weight around here.
    I agree totally that folks who don't have a clue about gunsmithing and gun design should leave the innards totally alone. I don't think that Ruger (or any other manufacturer for that matter) would recommend any third-party inner parts. What Ruger will do, of course, is take their product back and do what it takes to make it work correctly.

External tweaks like grips (or grip pads, etc.) that don't affect the inner workings of a firearm are, in my opinion, fair game for retail sales and application by the majority of firearm owners.
    Skip Douglas

2. #32 Re: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? 
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
    I agree totally that folks who don't have a clue about gunsmithing and gun design should leave the innards totally alone. I don't think that Ruger (or any other manufacturer for that matter) would recommend any third-party inner parts. What Ruger will do, of course, is take their product back and do what it takes to make it work correctly.

External tweaks like grips (or grip pads, etc.) that don't affect the inner workings of a firearm are, in my opinion, fair game for retail sales and application by the majority of firearm owners.
    Yes, I agree with your take on external mods. And you're absolutely right about Ruger not recommending any third-party inner parts. Ruger actually warns people in writing not to install them. (Folks can read the warnings for themselves on page 11 of the LCP Instruction Manual and page 10 of the LCP II Instruction Manual. Both Instruction Manuals are available online.)
    Last edited by bld522; 05-12-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    A man's got to know his gun's limitations!

Ruger 10/22, Muzzlelite Stock Bullpup
    Beretta Bobcat, .22 Rimfire
    Ruger LCP Gen. 2, .380 ACP
    Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

3. #33 Re: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? 
    I know my limitations (no mechanical ability) and never assume I know more than the engineers that built the gun. This is a tool I trust my life to and take my range practice seriously. If the gun fails my next step is calling the factory and beyond that it might be sold if I cannot trust it. I've carried a J frame most of my adult life so the .380 platform is relatively new to me.
    bld522 likes this.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #34 Re: Change recoil spring from 9# to 13#? Why? 
    I went with the 12# spring as a compromise in the middle ground. I thoroughly investigated all the reasons and decided i'd give it a go. After all, it is quite simple to switch back and the cost of a single spring set was minimal. The function of my Gen1 LCP has been smooth and consistent. It is much tamer and more reliable since the switch. I for one would not go back to the 9# spring that came stock in my gun. (as a side note; Gen2 guns came with an 11# spring) Is it for everyone? Likely not... doesn't hurt the gun to give it a try. Oh, the take down pin has never walked its way out of the frame. I've also worked with a gunsmith for a couple years some time ago and subsequently torn down all the guns I've owned save a few, and done my own work on them when and where needed aside from any machine work.
    pennsy, Denny4kids and Smokie_Okie like this.
    John

Ante Omnia Armari "Before all else, be armed"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads