LCPII - bent recoil spring

LCPII - bent recoil spring

This is a discussion on LCPII - bent recoil spring within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Hi, I got my new ruger lcp2 last week, cleaned it and took it to the range yesterday, shot 70 rounds through it, one failure ...

Like Tree7Likes

Thread: LCPII - bent recoil spring

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 LCPII - bent recoil spring 
    Hi,
    I got my new ruger lcp2 last week, cleaned it and took it to the range yesterday, shot 70 rounds through it, one failure to eject which is no big deal. I was happy with the new trigger and all. Took it back home to clean it and boom,both the inner and outter recoil springs are slightly bent right from the end of the guide rod, roughly 15 degrees off. I just wonder if this is normal or should I give Ruger a call, I also have an old lcp shot it plenty but the springs are perfectly straight. (when I cleaned my lcp2 the first time I did take the springs off the guide rod but I don't think it matters which way you put them back in since they are the same size at both ends.)

2. #2 re: LCPII - bent recoil spring 
    Give Ruger a call (336-949-5200) , they have Excellent Customer Service. Another member on this forum had the same problem.

CrazyJoe, Welcome to the forum.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

3. #3 re: LCPII - bent recoil spring 
    Thanks, I was hoping it's just a normal occurrence in semiauto pistols, hope they'll send me a pair of new springs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 re: LCPII - bent recoil spring 
    Quote Originally Posted by saltair View Post
    Another member on this forum had the same problem.
    Right you are, saltair. Here's a link to the other member's thread:

LCP II first range report

And no, I don't think bent springs are a normal occurrence in semi-automatics. I'd suggest CrazyJoe mention to Ruger that he's aware of at least one other instance of bent springs in an LCP II and ask Ruger if they want him to return his gun or send him a pair of new springs.

6. #5 re: LCPII - bent recoil spring 
    Since the Generation 2 Lcp's the springs are the same size at each end. In fact if you roll the springs on a flat smooth surface the springs should roll fairly straight. Your bent springs seem to be a defect.

Keep us informed of the outcome...many very knowledgeable members on this forum. Do not be afraid to ask questions.

saltair
    NRA BENEFACTOR

7. #6 re: LCPII - bent recoil spring 
    Quote Originally Posted by bld522 View Post
    Right you are, saltair. Here's a link to the other member's thread:

LCP II first range report

And no, I don't think bent springs are a normal occurrence in semi-automatics. I'd suggest CrazyJoe mention to Ruger that he's aware of at least one other instance of bent springs in an LCP II and ask Ruger if they want him to return his gun or send him a pair of new springs.
    If you ask I'm sure they will just send you the new springs. Hate to be without Elsie for a week.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

8. #7 re: LCPII - bent recoil spring 
    Thanks guys, i've read the other guy's post, my springs look just like his, I'm gonna have to give Ruger a call, dadgummit I just got my gun a few days ago. I'll keep yall posted

9. #8 re: LCPII - bent recoil spring 
    Myself I don't worry about a bent recoil spring because that's what the guide rod is in there for.
    I have an A 22 pistol that the spring almost looks like a pretzel but it functions just fine.
    I have a Colt 1903 32 auto pistol that I've had for many years the spring is bent and I've never had a malfunction with it.
    So even if River replaces your Springs do not throw the bent ones away that way you always have a good backup set.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

10. #9 re: LCPII - bent recoil spring 
    Yeah i'm keeping the bent ones for sure, I didn't worry about it too much either as they dont seem to affect the functionality of the gun, but just in case better have'em straight than bent
    RICHGCOOP likes this.

11. #10 Re: LCPII - bent recoil spring 
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHGCOOP View Post
    Myself I don't worry about a bent recoil spring because that's what the guide rod is in there for.
    Live and learn, Rich. Thanks.

Quick question. My concern with a bent spring isn't just the spring itself. It's whether whatever is causing the load on the spring to be applied unevenly (because other than a defect in the spring, that's what usually causes springs to bend) is an issue that could ultimately affect the LCP II's reliability. In other words, is the bent spring the problem or only the symptom of a bigger problem? And do the springs in LCPs (Gen 1/Gen 2/Custom) tend to bend as well?
    Last edited by bld522; 01-23-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads