Round not going all the way into chamber?

Round not going all the way into chamber?

This is a discussion on Round not going all the way into chamber? within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Ok so I got my LCP last Wednesday and the only ammo I could find was a WWB with the truncated nose. I took it ...

Thread: Round not going all the way into chamber?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Round not going all the way into chamber? 
    Ok so I got my LCP last Wednesday and the only ammo I could find was a WWB with the truncated nose. I took it out to the range today after and was not happy. Seems oh, every 5th or 6th round would hang up on the feeding ramp. All I had to do was push the slide forward and it would close and shoot. Sometimes it was like in slow motion, it would hangup, then close by it self. After I was done shooting, I took it home polished the feed ramp with dremel tool and felt tip. It looks nice and shiny now.

So should I get some of the Wolff 13 or 15# springs or try different ammo first?

Thanks

Brad

2. #2 Re: Round not going all the way into chamber? 
    The polish job will probably help. I have used and still use that ammo and have never had one "hang" on the feed ramp. I would try the same ammo now and see if the polish job fixed the problem first. Another thing I did before the first round went down the barrel was to rack the slide like 500 times (probably more because I didn't keep good count). I have had NO "hang" rounds or jams at all. I have put over 700 rounds thru it to date. The only problem I have is that the casings fly out in every imaginable direction and distances (which isn't really a problem but I like to recover all my brass). I am going to get the springs to try to tame the recoil and see if I can tame the distance the casings are ejected. So I would try more of the ammo and see if the polish worked, JMO, but would buy ammo if you can find it.
    Bushmaster M4 Patrolman 556/223
    Ruger P94 40cal.
    Ruger P95PR 9mm
    2 Ruger P95DC 9mm's
    Ruger LCP .380
    Colt Cobra CTG .38 Special
    Raven Arms MP-25 .25 Auto
    Mossberg 500 12ga

Member of the VCDL ~ www.VCDL.org
    Lifetime NRA Member ~ www.nra.org

3. #3 Re: Round not going all the way into chamber? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Drundel
    Ok so I got my LCP last Wednesday and the only ammo I could find was a WWB with the truncated nose. I took it out to the range today after and was not happy. Seems oh, every 5th or 6th round would hang up on the feeding ramp. All I had to do was push the slide forward and it would close and shoot. Sometimes it was like in slow motion, it would hangup, then close by it self. After I was done shooting, I took it home polished the feed ramp with dremel tool and felt tip. It looks nice and shiny now.

So should I get some of the Wolff 13 or 15# springs or try different ammo first?

Thanks

Brad

I had the same problem as you. The polish job helped a little but I still had problems. The 13# wolf springs though were like magic. I love that little lCP now. It hasn't had a feed ramp loading problem since then and I've tried all sorts of ammo.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Round not going all the way into chamber? 
    Hi Drundel, you're sure to get lots of help with your new gun here. I'm guessing you cleaned and lubed her before shooting. Make sure the inner, smaller spring's flair is forward. I'm also guessing you only have one mag and didn't try another. You can also try polishing the breech bottom that drags across the hammer. Lube it too. Some say this gun runs better wet with lube. I'd also bust down and clean the mag too. You more than likely fixed it with the feeding ramp/chamber polishing, so just try the wwb again and see how she does now. Keep us posted and good luck.

6. #5 Re: Round not going all the way into chamber? 
    I had a hesitation at the feed ramp on my new LCP as well but it broke in just fine. The action was smooth as silk after 75 or so rounds with no fluff and buff.

Clean the gun well and work the slide a few times, you'll be fine.

7. #6 Re: Round not going all the way into chamber? 
    Had same problem...didn't hesitate with trying different ammo and ordered new springs from Wolff. Got the package deal with a 13#, a15#, and a 16#. All solved the problem but the I liked the #16 the best. Elsie is perfect now
    Later,
    Bear

"I'm not paranoid....I'm Prepared" !

8. #7 Re: Round not going all the way into chamber? 
    Quote Originally Posted by xdglocker
    Had same problem...didn't hesitate with trying different ammo and ordered new springs from Wolff. Got the package deal with a 13#, a15#, and a 16#. All solved the problem but the I liked the #16 the best. Elsie is perfect now
    heavier recoil springs and a good polish on the feed ramp and rounds down range and 99% of all issues will solve itself.
    "JUST SHOOT IT LIKE U STOLE IT"!!

9. #8 Re: Round not going all the way into chamber? 
    Quote Originally Posted by jocko
    Quote Originally Posted by xdglocker
    heavier recoil springs and a good polish on the feed ramp and rounds down range and 99% of all issues will solve itself.
    What is the best method to polish the feed ramp?

Does a heavier recoil spring make it harder to 'rack" the slide?
    From "The Outlaw Josie Wales": Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'!

10. #9 Re: Round not going all the way into chamber? 
    Does the round enter the chamber but the slide doesn't go fully forward, say the last 1/8" or so? If that is the problem polishing the ramp won't help. Mine was like that. I had to send the gun back anyway to get a new extractor and Ruger reworked the barrel to correct the problem. A stronger spring would probably fix it, along with break-in.

11. #10 Re: Round not going all the way into chamber? 
    Quote Originally Posted by davekp
    Does the round enter the chamber but the slide doesn't go fully forward, say the last 1/8" or so? If that is the problem polishing the ramp won't help. Mine was like that. I had to send the gun back anyway to get a new extractor and Ruger reworked the barrel to correct the problem. A stronger spring would probably fix it, along with break-in.
    u might have had a bad extractor with yours doing that but normally a good polished feed ramp with good recoil springs will do the job that yours was doing. Stronger springs especially, ...I just feel those 13 and 15# recoil springs are going to be a real benefit to lcp people.
    "JUST SHOOT IT LIKE U STOLE IT"!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads