Recomended Mods for LCP

This is a discussion on Recomended Mods for LCP within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; I'm new on the forum and a new LCP owner. I have enjoyed searching the posts on this fine little gun but am starting to ...

Thread: Recomended Mods for LCP

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Recomended Mods for LCP 
    I'm new on the forum and a new LCP owner. I have enjoyed searching the posts on this fine little gun but am starting to think about modifications to make it better. I'm thinking Hogue Hybrid grip and new springs and guide rod. Any thoughts on other accessories and which spring work the best. Seems a lot of people prefer the 13# springs but I was wondering about how the 11 = 12 # springs work as well. I'm a little concerned about making the slide harder to rack.

Thanks for any input
    WK

2. #2 Re: Recomended Mods for LCP 
    Most folks don't need any changes done to the LCP.

My LCP, even after smoothing up obvious friction points (polishing the feedramp, smoothing out various things related to the slide, etc.), was a bit cranky about fully feeding the first round from a fresh magazine. That's even with rather vigorous "slingshotting" of the slide. Installing a Wolff 11# recoil spring set in place of the factory 9# spring set made all the necessary difference. I could probably go back to the 9# spring set after having shot the pistol a bunch now.

The trigger on the LCP is a little hard to pull compared to other pistols and, of course, it has a lot of travel. Bear in mind that the trigger design is the ONLY "safety" on the LCP, so I would strongly advise against replacing it with some of the fancy adjustable trigger kits that are being sold today.

Some folks have the sights replaced with taller and more visible sights. Each to his own, but I don't even use the sights on the LCP when doing controlled "point shooting" which, in my opinion, is the way the LCP was designed to be used.

You would probably do well to put the finger extension on the magazine and get a couple more magazines with the finger extensions on them. That can give you more control over the pistol, but it does make it slightly harder to conceal the LCP.

Make SURE that you get and use a decent holster (or several different ones like some folks here do) that protects the trigger from inadvertently pulling it when re-holstering the LCP.

Get lots of ammo and practice combat-style shooting. That means rapidly pulling the trigger while keeping the pistol pointed at the target. Doing a lot of dry firing also goes a long way toward improving your performance. Just make absolutely sure that you remove all live ammo from the room and check several times that it's out of the room before starting a dry-fire session.
    Skip Douglas

3. #3 Re: Recomended Mods for LCP 
    SkipD, Is right on %100.
    Save your money and buy more guns.

RICHGCOOP

4. #4 Re: Recomended Mods for LCP 
    Thanks SkipD,

I am going to polish the feed ramp and contact parts as I do on all my Auto Pistols. First thing I did was put the extension on. It helped a lot with accuracy. Thats why I'm thinking Hogue Grip for more purchase with my old hands. Recoil is not bad even after 50 - 75 rounds. I haven't shot more than that because i spread the Range time with my 9mm and 45. I got a nemesis pocket holster with the gun and it seems to work OK but I am ordering a Remora very soon. i like them for all my carry guns.

5. #5 Re: Recomended Mods for LCP 
    The only mods that I have made to my Elsie was to by Ruger finger extensions to all my mags. The other was a 11# Woff spring set. We have to police the brass at our local gun club. And the 11# springs cut the distance in half. And seemed like a good compromise as I didn't want the slide to be any harder to rack then necessary. I also added a Crimson Trace laser.
    Last edited by RogueLCP; 06-12-2012 at 09:29 PM.

6. #6 Re: Recomended Mods for LCP 
    I've made a few mods to my LCP. The Hogue Hybrid was a big help to me; as you said, it gives more purchase and helps dampen recoil. I added Crimson Trace, as well.

I opted for the 13# recoil spring which seemed to lessen felt recoil quite a bit for me. It did make racking the slide more difficult, but not onerously so, even with seventy-two-year-old hands.

I had the mag extensions on, but took them off recently; I found that I actually shot better groups without them and the gun is easier to conceal.
    Ruger Security Six, Ruger Mark III, Ruger SR9, Ruger LCP, Ruger SP101, Ruger LC9

7. #7 Re: Recomended Mods for LCP 
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHGCOOP View Post
    SkipD, Is right on %100.
    Save your money and buy more guns.

RICHGCOOP
    I like the information in that video, but those shorts are somehow disturbing... Can you even buy shorts like those anymore?

8. #8 Re: Recomended Mods for LCP 
    I use a Hogue grip, finger extensions and a Crimson Trace....haven't made any internal mods and don't intend to....not broke so doesn't need fixin!!

9. #9 Re: Recomended Mods for LCP 
    Welcome to the forum WK! I agree with all the advice so far. I'm not a fan of the heavy recoil springs but can't deny the success others have had. I installed the impact guns +1 mag extension on both my mags and they work flawless. They are a little ugly though. My LCP lives in a nemesis holster in my right front pocket at all times and won't draw right for me with a padded grip deal. Mine is purely a self defense weapon either main or backup. So far 750 rounds for training and 250 staying current.
    Your trigger will smooth out and you will get used to it. My Safety Officer at an IDPA match let me run a stage with my LCP and when you aim/point and shoot under pressure your training will take over and the long trigger pull and heavy recoil won't be an issue. I really like my LCP!
    May I suggest that when you polish your barrel feed ramp watch one of the videos or just remember to polish perpendicular to the radius. I thought you could find a a dremel polisher that fit the radius of the feed ramp and polish away. Nope! all polishing must be done in the direction the bullet feeds. Thank God for the people who share their knowledge with me!
    Have fun training with your weapon and listen to Skip when he says to be careful when you dry fire. Believe me I know! All my ammo gets locked in a box when I dry fire at home! Denny

10. #10 Re: Recomended Mods for LCP 
    Thank you all for the advice. I think I'm going to leave My LCP stock for a while until I get a few more rounds through it. I like the grip extension and want to try the hogue grip, not expensive if I don't like it. The BT guide rod looks nice as well.

Thanks again WK

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads