New round jammed in chamber, can't clear....please help

This is a discussion on New round jammed in chamber, can't clear....please help within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; So, I got my new LCP a week or two ago and finally made it to the range today. My 11th round jammed while cycling ...

Thread: New round jammed in chamber, can't clear....please help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 New round jammed in chamber, can't clear....please help 
    So, I got my new LCP a week or two ago and finally made it to the range today. My 11th round jammed while cycling into the chamber. I cant get it to clear. I dropped the mag and when I pull the slide back the entire barrel comes back with the slide. I got the take down pin out but same thing, barrel comes back with slide and will not go all the way forward (slide is jammed about a 1/4" to the rear). Strange thing is, if I put an empty mag back in, I cant move the slide at all. Anybody had this problem or no how to clear it and/or fix it. Thanks

We need more info.about it. Some pictures would be a big help.

RICHGCOOP

Here's a couple of pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New round jammed in chamber, can't clear....please help-ruger-1.jpg   New round jammed in chamber, can't clear....please help-ruger-2.jpg  

Did you try using a peace of wood dowel in the muzzle end of the barrel and tap it with a hammer?

What did the other fired brass look like?

RICHGCOOP
    Last edited by SkipD; 05-23-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHGCOOP View Post
    Did you try using a peace of wood dallrod in the muzzel end of the barrel and tap it with a hammer.
    What did the other fired brass look like.

RICHGCOOP
    No, I'll try that... The other brass looked fine. Didnt see any scoring.

Did the primers look normel on the other fired brass.

RICHGCOOP

Quote Originally Posted by RICHGCOOP View Post
    Did the primers look normel on the other fired brass.

RICHGCOOP
    I didn't even think to look at that. And all brass was discarded already at the range.

just keep yourself clear of the barrel when trying to clear it since it sounds like it didn't fire.
    I'd take it to a gunsmith and let them do it unless you know what you are doing.

This is potentially a very hazardous thing to deal with. It requires absolute understanding of what is going on because of the live round in the chamber. Call your local gunsmiths and find one who is willing to deal with the problem for you.

The most important thing, of course, is safety but it's critically important to ultimately find out WHY the cartridge jammed in the chamber.
    Skip Douglas

10. #10 Re: New round jammed in chamber, can't clear....please help 
    Update... Called Ruger and they offered to have it shipped back to them on there dime but I had to bring it to a gunsmith first to get the live round out before I could send it in. The gunsmith had my LCP for two days and said that was the worst jam he has ever seen. Attached is a picture of the round that was jammed in the gun. He couldn't find anything wrong with the gun so he told me to look at the ammo closely for any defects. He also suggested I send it to Ruger to be checked out.

As soon as he said inspect the ammo to me, A light bulb went on over my head. I had forgotten that 1 of the 5 boxes of ammo I bought, 1 of them came with damage to the box. One of the corners was sort of crushed but it didn't look that bad so I didn't even think about it. After inspecting the ammo that came in that box, the rounds on that corner all looked similar to the round that got jammed in my gun. But they were not as bad or obvious as that one was. I think the rest of the damage must have occurred either while the round was being cycled into the chamber or while the gunsmith was getting it out of the chamber.

So, even though the gunsmith suggested I send it back to Ruger, after discovering the damaged rounds and inspecting the gun myself. I could not find any signs of damage to the gun at all, nor could the gunsmith. So I went back to the range and fired 100 rounds though the gun with zero problems.

I learned a very good lesson today, inspect each round before putting it into the mag, especially when the box is damaged.

Thanks for the help and advise guys. Even though I hate to admit it, I'm very happy that this problem was more my fault for not inspecting the ammo and had nothing to do with the dependability of my LCP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New round jammed in chamber, can't clear....please help-jammed-round.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads