Walking take down pin

This is a discussion on Walking take down pin within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; I read the tech sticky on this issue. But for anyone interested, my LCP take down became so loose, it would not just walk, but ...

Thread: Walking take down pin

1. #1 Walking take down pin 
    I read the tech sticky on this issue. But for anyone interested, my LCP take down became so loose, it would not just walk, but would fall out if simply turned on it's side. In fact, I had to tape it to the gun to send to Ruger. I have fired a ton of ammo through this gun just to let you know. I will post the results when the gun returns.

Regards
    Dave@vabch

2. #2 Re: Walking take down pin 
    Dave....Hope to see your range report soon.....Ruger will fix it.....

I assume it was not that way when you got it.....But maybe it was a little large to start with...

I wonder what caused the hole to be that big that holds the pin in.....
    Life is to short to shoot ugly guns....May Glocks live forever....

3. #3 Re: Walking take down pin 
    Chances are that the hairpin-shaped retaining spring that holds the takedown pin in has cracked and no longer stays tight in the pin's groove.

Replacing it doesn't take much if one is able to pull the sub-frame out of the LCP and replace it properly, but for the average Joe it's probably better to send the pistol in to Ruger.
    Skip Douglas

4. #4 Re: Walking take down pin 
    Interesting! Just received LCP and the notes say: "ITEM REPLACED: BROKEN FRAME (BROKEN) BROKEN TAKE DOWN PIN DETENT

It appears they replaced the whole polymer frame. regardless, it is nice to get her back. Boy, she seems so small after carrying around her big brother LC9 for three weeks.

Regards
    Dave@vabch

(BROKEN FRAME) TAKE DOWN PIN DETENT

5. #5 Re: Walking take down pin 
    The "pin detent" is the spring I was describing.
    Skip Douglas

6. #6 Re: Walking take down pin 
    Skip, the whole polymer frame was replaced. I believe there was a crack in it. This pistol was shot a lot. Not unusual for me to shoot 150 to 200 rds per session and a lot of sessions. Any way, the gun handled quite a lot of abuse and the bottom line is Ruger Repaired the pistol. The LCP is a tough little sucker. The great concealment quality, the accuracy the design of the trigger etc make this one of the most advanced firearms every made. I carried my LC9 for the past few weeks, and was, in fact getting use to the size. A great gun (marvelous as Mitt would say) but reality is what it is and I'm going back to the LCP for everyday day carry. I was looking for a new gun, maybe another 9mm for CCW. I have thought about the Nano, the Khar cm9, another 340 like the sig 238,or maybe the new Mustang lite and on and on. But the bottom line is, NOTHING BEATS THE LCP.

Regards
    Dave@vabch

7. #7 Re: Walking take down pin 
    Dave.....You are back in action....Buy lots of ammo and go shootin.....
    Life is to short to shoot ugly guns....May Glocks live forever....

8. #8 Re: Walking take down pin 
    Back to the range yesterday with LCP after the new frame replaced. Dang! the take down pin broke. Like I mentioned earlier, this gun has a lot of rds. through it. So they replaced the frame that was cracked along with the spring detent broken. So I go to the range and right away I get jams. Come home and I notice the take down pin has been sherd off. I wondering if this could because of the ammo. I probably have about 2000 rds through his gun and it has never had failures except ammo from USAAMMO. Ok, Now I tried Freedom ammo 100gr. It was that ammo I was using when the gun went down and now is the same ammo that was used when it returned and the take down pin broke. The ammo does not seem HOT, but I wondering if it could be. Any advice?

Dave

9. #9 Re: Walking take down pin 
    I had the same problem with one of my Elsie's. I replaced the stock 9 lb recoil spring with a 11 lb spring from Wolff and it took care of the problem.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads