Rough chamber ...

Rough chamber ...

This is a discussion on Rough chamber ... within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; I don't remember seeing this, sorry if has been covered ... I shot two mags thru my new LCP awhile back when I first got ...

Thread: Rough chamber ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Rough chamber ... 
    Patch44
    I don't remember seeing this, sorry if has been covered ...

I shot two mags thru my new LCP awhile back when I first got it and things worked fine.

I finally got around to taking it out in the woods today to play around some. I got a FTF every other mag. I assumed I needed the polish and tune thing, and the break in thing, no biggie.

I took the barrel out and inserted a shell and noticed it hung about half way in. Not a ramp problem or undersized chamber, but a rough shot in the chamber about half way. I took my bore light and took a look and there is a spot in the chamber on the top that is visibly rough. You can feel the shell hit this spot when you simulate the loading process.

This kinda sucks actually ... shouldn't the chamber be pretty well honed smooth at the factory. I can understand feed ramp issues as this is a complex shape, but a smooth chamber is a no brainer I would think.

Anyway, I assume I can buff this out carefully but I am now messing with something more critical than the feed ramp, and removing excess material would be a bad thing.

Just curious how to proceed here, and also documenting another Ruger quality control issue.

John

2. #2 Re: Rough chamber ... 
    I am not mechanical and would rather have ruger fix the problem but YMMV. I think if you try and do it yourself, you may void the warranty and that could create problems later. Just contact ruger and have them ship you a label.
    __________________________________________________ ____

Not all who wander are lost.

3. #3 Re: Rough chamber ... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch44

I shot two mags thru my new LCP awhile back when I first got it and things worked fine.

I finally got around to taking it out in the woods today to play around some. I got a FTF every other mag. I assumed I needed the polish and tune thing, and the break in thing, no biggie.

I took the barrel out and inserted a shell and noticed it hung about half way in. Not a ramp problem or undersized chamber, but a rough shot in the chamber about half way. I took my bore light and took a look and there is a spot in the chamber on the top that is visibly rough. You can feel the shell hit this spot when you simulate the loading process.

This kinda sucks actually ... shouldn't the chamber be pretty well honed smooth at the factory. I can understand feed ramp issues as this is a complex shape, but a smooth chamber is a no brainer I would think.

Anyway, I assume I can buff this out carefully but I am now messing with something more critical than the feed ramp, and removing excess material would be a bad thing.

Just curious how to proceed here, and also documenting another Ruger quality control issue.

John
    jUST GET SOME POLISHG COMPOUND AND a dremel tool or just the arbor and cotton swab and it will fit in your drill even, or some 600+ grit auto sand paper and just polish it out. You aren't going to hurt a thing, that is all that ruger will do. It's not rocket science...
    "JUST SHOOT IT LIKE U STOLE IT"!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Rough chamber ... 
    Patch44
    Glad it's not rocket surgery, or I would be way screwed.

Already started on it with emory and a wooden dowel, just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something bad.

Thanks ...

John

6. #5 Re: Rough chamber ... 
    Already started on it with Emory and a wooden dowel, just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something bad.
    Just go easy with the Emory cloth. 400 grit with gun oil rolled up around a dowel. knock down any rough metal in the chamber. Follow with 600 grit with oil, in and out and in circular motion in the chamber (don't get into the barrel rifeling). Finish up with a felt bullet tip and polish rouge with a Dremmel.. Polish the feed ramp and chamber to a bright finish. The Dremmel Polish step is time well spent to reduce "break in" feed and extraction problems.

7. #6 Re: Rough chamber ... 
    Glad it's not rocket surgery
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

8. #7 Re: Rough chamber ... 
    Patch44
    ...it's a Bushism ...

John

9. #8 Re: Rough chamber ... 
    Apparently, Patch has never examined a Keltec P3AT barrel . My P3AT looks like it went through a blender but shoots fine. These little pocket barrels don't have to be perfect. Superficial rough stops should in no way impact on reliability or moving your bullet from barrel to intended target.
    "Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars."

10. #9 Re: Rough chamber ... 
    Quote Originally Posted by kraigster414
    Apparently, he has never examined a Keltec P3AT barrel . These little pocket barrels don't have to be perfect. Superficial rough stops shoud in no way impact on reliability or moving your bullet from barrel to intended target.
    Yup I had a kt barrel with half the rifling gone when i bought it, and the damn thing shot just as good as the replacement barrel they sent to me. never was a target gun for me anyway, more important was going bang every time. I wold hav eto say though at one time I thought the kt barrels were the worst I have ever seen. Seems today no complaints any more..
    "JUST SHOOT IT LIKE U STOLE IT"!!

11. #10 Re: Rough chamber ... 

John
    Are you sure its a rough spot in the chamber or could it possibly be a chunk of powder stuck to the side of the chamber. This may sound silly but it happened to me once with a Sig P220. The thing just started jamming after about 25 perfect shots. I disassembled the gun and when I looked into the chamber I noticed something which looked like a "rough spot" on the side of the chamber. It took a fine tipped flat screwdriver to break it loose! You might want to check it just to be sure.
    To "Serve & Protect"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads