Follow-up on broken takedown pin

This is a discussion on Follow-up on broken takedown pin within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; I recently sent my LCP back to Ruger for repair when the head broke off the takedown pin. While the gun was still completely functional, ...

Thread: Follow-up on broken takedown pin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Follow-up on broken takedown pin 
    I recently sent my LCP back to Ruger for repair when the head broke off the takedown pin. While the gun was still completely functional, it was impossible to takedown the gun for cleaning, and the other observation was some damage on the frame where the head broke off.

Ruger fixed the gun under warranty (it's one of the first models) and is even replacing the frame. They also replaced a bunch of springs, too. The gun has been now returned to Ruger 3 times, and I'm very impressed with Ruger's turnaround time. 1st time was for shells ejecting about as fast as the bullet -- fixed no charge. Second was for a recall -- fixed no charge. And, not once was the gun ever out of service -- fires every time.

2. #2 Re: Follow-up on broken takedown pin 
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy925
    I recently sent my LCP back to Ruger for repair when the head broke off the takedown pin. While the gun was still completely functional, it was impossible to takedown the gun for cleaning, and the other observation was some damage on the frame where the head broke off.

Ruger fixed the gun under warranty (it's one of the first models) and is even replacing the frame. They also replaced a bunch of springs, too. The gun has been now returned to Ruger 3 times, and I'm very impressed with Ruger's turnaround time. 1st time was for shells ejecting about as fast as the bullet -- fixed no charge. Second was for a recall -- fixed no charge. And, not once was the gun ever out of service -- fires every time.
    The "headless"takedown pin can be removed by inserting a stiff wire (paperclip or tiny drill bit) in the tiny hole in the slide on the right side. Just pust the remaining parts of the takedoen pin out.

Having a spare takedown pin on hand (they're about $2) saves being without the LCP for a few weeks....
    Sent from a Windows 3.1, 88 Mhz 486 DX2 running Netscape 1.0 via 14.4 b modem
    [/quote]

3. #3 Re: Follow-up on broken takedown pin 
    Yeah. I figured I could "push" the pin out but couldn't find anything that would work. Also, with the frame damage it seemed like a good idea to send it in.

Anyway, I just got it back (turnaround was less than two weeks including my shipping). No charge!

They replaced the:
    Hammer catch spring
    Recoil spring inner
    Recoil spring outer
    Frame
    Takedown pin

It seems to me the recoil springs are heavier than what was in there but it could be my imagination. Hopefully I'll have time to check it out tomorrow.

4. #4 Re: Follow-up on broken takedown pin 
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy925
    Yeah. I figured I could "push" the pin out but couldn't find anything that would work. Also, with the frame damage it seemed like a good idea to send it in.
    There's a trick to getting the LCP takedown pin out if the head's popped off. First, you need a pointed tool to push the hairpin spring (seen in the hole on the left side of the LCP) out of the way of the pin. Then, you need to push the pin out from the opposite side of the LCP using another pointy tool. Some folks have said that an Exacto knife blade can work as a push tool.
    Skip Douglas

5. #5 Re: Follow-up on broken takedown pin 
    Finally got out to the range today. Just wanted to see how the LCP was functioning after the repairs, and as always I was able to put 3 magazines through it without a hitch. Felt the same as it did before even with all the replacement springs. Looking forward to trying that new Hogue grip, but that's another story.

6. #6 Re: Follow-up on broken takedown pin 
    Happy for you Elsie is back home where she belongs........
    Hope the Hogue grip works out for you.......
    Life is to short to shoot ugly guns....May Glocks live forever....

7. #7 Re: Follow-up on broken takedown pin 
    Where can I order a spare takedown pin? Thanks!

8. #8 Re: Follow-up on broken takedown pin 
    Quote Originally Posted by fivedog
    Where can I order a spare takedown pin? Thanks!
    Just call Ruger.........
    Life is to short to shoot ugly guns....May Glocks live forever....

9. #9 Re: Follow-up on broken takedown pin 
    http://shopruger.com/SC03750-LCP-Tak...uctinfo/61518/

You can order a take down pin online at the above link.
    BA

10. #10 Re: Follow-up on broken takedown pin 
    Thanks for the removal tip. My first take-down pin broke at 1200 rounds. Not following my advice of replacing the take-down pin every 1000 rounds, the head of the take-down pin came off at 2200 rounds.
    Thanks to your tip I did not have to send the gun back to Ruger this time. I have 3 replacements in reserve.
    Your tip was so simple, thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads