Caution - Disassembly and the LCP's hammer block

This is a discussion on Caution - Disassembly and the LCP's hammer block within the LCP Technical forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; for those of you who MUST take their lcp competely all apart included taking the alloy frame off the grip, You will encounter a problem ...

Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Caution - Disassembly and the LCP's hammer block

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Caution - Disassembly and the LCP's hammer block 
    for those of you who MUST take their lcp competely all apart included taking the alloy frame off the grip, You will encounter a problem reinstalling the frame because of the hammer block which stays inside the grip and is NEVER TAKEN APART.

When you remove the front and back frame pin (leave the middle one alone) and then take the bottom plug out of the grip and remove the hammer spirng. An easy tool to do that is to take a coat hanger and cut it about 10 inches or so long, make a finger loop in one end and a pointed hook on the others. You can use this to remove the hammer spring with ease. don't over stretch it though..

That was the easy part. the frame will now just come out of the grip.

to reinstall is just as easy but look on the right side of the grip that tiny little hole is there for a reason. take a nail that fits in that hole or a punch or drill bit that fits in that hole and look down inside the grip. See that hammer block. just puch it allthe way forward and then push the punch/nail/bit through that hole. that locks the hammer block forward. now just slide the alloy frame back intothe grip and as you push down on it in the back then just remove the punch/bit/nail andyou have set the hammer block correctly. Otherwise the frame willnot go into place porperly. Thats what that little hole is for. really makes it simple.
    "JUST SHOOT IT LIKE U STOLE IT"!!

2. #2 Re: alittle hint 
    Jocko, you just saved more than a few from serious aggravation. Thank you.
    "Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars."

3. #3 Re: alittle hint 
    jocko!
    Member NRA, TxCDL & Texas CHL Holder..........
    GLOCK 19 9mm FS & GLOCK 26 9mm NS - 3rd Gens,
    TWO (2) RUGER LCP .380s,
    and a Taurus PT22 .22LR....

http://dot11net.net/~jiml/CHLTexasFlag.gif

4. #4 Re: Caution - Disassembly and the LCP's hammer block 
    Yep, Joko's the man
    Crazylegs

5. #5 Re: Caution - Disassembly and the LCP's hammer block 
    I took my LCP all the way apart, thinking of course that I could easily put it back together. I looked at lots of posts, looked at the parts diagram, and understood what to do about the hammer block and the little hole.

But I just can't get my LCP back together right.

Everything seems fine but the trigger ends up all the way back and won't reset.

Is there a video, or a detail set of instructions, that can save me? I'm tearing my hair out after maybe 20 tries.

6. #6 Re: Caution - Disassembly and the LCP's hammer block 
    All is well. I figured it out. I wasn't install spring #26 correctly. I was tensioning it clockwise when it needed to be tensioned counter-clockwise. Gun works fine now.

7. #7 Re: Caution - Disassembly and the LCP's hammer block 
    Quote Originally Posted by ttkt57

Is there a video, or a detail set of instructions, that can save me? I'm tearing my hair out after maybe 20 tries.
    I agree w/the South Dakotan...any good vid links on a detail strip/reassembly?

8. #8 Re: Caution - Disassembly and the LCP's hammer block 
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetKnuckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ttkt57

I agree w/the South Dakotan...any good vid links on a detail strip/reassembly?
    Not really. The main thing is the trigger bar and the litle spring that goes in the groove on the very bottom of the trigger bar. When taking that frame out of the grip this spring will slip off the trigger bar and most when assembling it, think the spring is wound clockwise and then put under the trigger bar, What will happen then is that the trigger will not reset, as many have found out. It is frustrating to say the least , as you now have the gun back together even.

The spring (the only spring which is up byt he trigger, is wound COUNTER CLOCK WISE and then installed under the trigger bar. Now your trigger will reset every time. really other than that, probalby no vidio is needed

To reset the frame inside the grip, the hammer block has to be set properly and if you will refer to my upper post about that little hole on the right side of the grip, that is also a no brainer. There is no reason to ever take that hammer block apart, other than if it or the spring breaks, which I have never heard of this ever happening with any of the 300,000 kt's which are out there plus ther 100,000 lcp that are now out there. That is a frustrating part to get back in also.

Nice to get to know your guns, but I don't take my car engine apart, so basically "IT IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT".
    "JUST SHOOT IT LIKE U STOLE IT"!!

9. #9 Re: Caution - Disassembly and the LCP's hammer block 
    Point taken, but I do generally like to do at least a nice detail strip of the slide and get all the heavy factory lube out of there.

Oh well, someone will make a youtube video of it.

10. #10 Re: Caution - Disassembly and the LCP's hammer block 
    great post , good for us wanna be gunsmiths....some polishing on the rough spots could smooth out the action a little as long as safety is first...dont want to make her full auto accidently

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads