New leather holster break in

This is a discussion on New leather holster break in within the LCP Accessories forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; I just got a Pocket Holster from Guru and a CT. Anyone have any tips for breaking it in. It's awfully stiff. Some leather conditioner ...

Thread: New leather holster break in

1. #1 New leather holster break in 
    I just got a Pocket Holster from Guru and a CT. Anyone have any tips for breaking it in. It's awfully stiff.
    Some leather conditioner or just let it break in naturally over time?

Andy
    shhh, librarian packing

2. #2 Re: New leather holster break in 
    ....Andy, it depends on your goal. If the holster is designed to handle better being rigid, then I advise against conditioners. A holster starts it's life as too tight, breaks in, gets too loose, then finally wears until it's flabby and way too loose to be effective. Anything that speeds break-in too much, will shorten the life of the holster.

If it's simply too stiff and you want it softer, then use a conditioner made especially for a gun holster. They are void of water in the conditioner...rust waiting to happen otherwise. I have always put my gun in a thin baggie at night and just crammed it into the new holster. During the initial period I carry the gun in the holster normal style during the day. It won't take long for the leather to stretch and be form-fitting. I have a new Kimber in a baggie in a new and very tight Mitch Rosen holster...sitting my in my gun safe as I type. It is already loosening up and feels much better. The holster is custom molded for the Kimber Pro model, so it's tight initially by design. JMHO.

Tarheel

3. #3 Re: New leather holster break in 
    I am no expert but everything I have read says "no leather conditioner" for holsters. The most popular method that I know of is: put a thin sock or wax paper or a plastic bag over your gun then insert it into the holster, let it sit over night. Then holster and unholster many times. If it is still to tight repeat. Some people prefer wax paper because you can layer the wax paper. I opted for wax paper, I layered mine with 3 layers. I also drew my gun with the wax paper a few times and I also drew it without the wax paper many times. it took about 3 days for me to get it where I wanted it. People which are informed/educated on this matter will tell you to use caution to not layer the gun to thick because you will make your holster too loose. Also leather conditioners will soften your leather and you don't want that either. There are other methods, but this is the one I found to be more popular.

Richard

4. #4 Re: New leather holster break in 
    The main part of the holster is fine and holds the gun perfectly. It's a wallet holsternow I'm not sure what it's called but it has the backing to make it look like a wallet. That part is extremely stiff and doesn't look natural in my pocket. Too many jagged ends. That's the part I want to break in, to give it a more natural look.

Andy
    shhh, librarian packing

5. #5 Re: New leather holster break in 
    The main part of the holster is fine and holds the gun perfectly. It's a wallet holsternow I'm not sure what it's called but it has the backing to make it look like a wallet. That part is extremely stiff and doesn't look natural in my pocket. Too many jagged ends. That's the part I want to break in, to give it a more natural look.
    Von Buck,

Know exactly what you mean. I also have a holster from Guru that I bought a couple years ago for my Kel Tec P32. The best thing you can do is carry it! Trust me, it gets better with age. The jagged edges you talk about will start to bend over, sort of like how a leather wallet does to your butt, it will take on a shape of its own and become very comfortable. I now carry a wallet holster from Bear Creek for my LCP that I have had for about 2 mos now and it is just where I want it in terms of break in. Good luck, and congrats on your rig.
    Glock 19, Glock 27, Taurus 85, Kel Tec P32, Ruger LCP, Taurus 1911

6. #6 Re: New leather holster break in 
    That's what I figured what would happen. I keep her in my front pocket, but when sitting around the house I think I'll keep it in the rear pocket to help.
    I'm having fun sitting around the house and aiming with the CT. I bet i'll go through the batteries in a few weeks, like someone mentioned in another thread.
    Can't wait until I can till the range.

Andy
    shhh, librarian packing

7. #7 Re: New leather holster break in 
    I heard that you should not put ANYTHING on it, Let nature take its course and you will be MUCH happier with the end result!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads