Best way to soften a leather holster?

This is a discussion on Best way to soften a leather holster? within the LCP Accessories forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; I bought a leather holster for my LCP that works fine - it has a "hook" at the bottom that catches the inside of the ...

Thread: Best way to soften a leather holster?

1. #1 Best way to soften a leather holster? 
    I bought a leather holster for my LCP that works fine - it has a "hook" at the bottom that catches the inside of the pocket and stays put when the LCP is drawn. Problem is it's new and a bit stiff and snug yet. I assume it will get easier over time but I'd like it to be easy now. Any tricks to smooth it up besides wearing on the LCP by drawing it? (I do have a Nemesis as well but I like the leather holster with the hook better). Thanks.

2. #2 Re: Best way to soften a leather holster? 
    Quote Originally Posted by tpcollins
    I bought a leather holster for my LCP that works fine - it has a "hook" at the bottom that catches the inside of the pocket and stays put when the LCP is drawn. Problem is it's new and a bit stiff and snug yet. I assume it will get easier over time but I'd like it to be easy now. Any tricks to smooth it up besides wearing on the LCP by drawing it? (I do have a Nemesis as well but I like the leather holster with the hook better). Thanks.
    I would suggest to not try and soften the holster. That may make it lose its molding. Try wraping the gun in saran wrap or use a zip lock bag. Put it in the holster and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Then remove and re-insert the gun and it should be looser. You can do this a few times til you get it where you like it. If you have a small strip of leather you could use it the same way. Insert the strip then the gun, wait a few minutes. Remove gun and leather try gun again. Or try using some tennis shoe, shoe strings in place of the leather strips.

3. #3 Re: Best way to soften a leather holster? 
    Wrapped my LCP in a sock, then a plastic bag. Left combination in holster several evenings and now my holster and LCP with CT an excellent snug fit.

4. #4 Re: Best way to soften a leather holster? 
    Quote Originally Posted by rmharp
    Wrapped my LCP in a sock, then a plastic bag. Left combination in holster several evenings and now my holster and LCP with CT an excellent snug fit.
    No foot smell after that?

5. #5 Re: Best way to soften a leather holster? 
    ...try all the above suggestions...use clean socks per lws...rm likes his holsters "macho rugged" .

I've used this product many times to help with smoother draw. Works quite well:

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_li...ellaneous.html

Please don't use treatments that seal the leather pores...not good. The softer the leather holster, the more difficult it will be draw the LCP, as you will have more surface contact. The synthetic holsters material is generally slicker than leather. Just an opinion. YMMV

Tarheel

6. #6 Re: Best way to soften a leather holster? 
    Soften was probably a poor choice of words - easier to draw would have been more correct. I did the sock over the gun inside a baggie and that enlarged the holster just enough to make it easier to draw. Thanks.

7. #7 Re: Best way to soften a leather holster? 
    The method I used for my Desantis OWB leather holster was to put Miss Elsie (unloaded of course) into a sock and place in holster making sure it was a tight fit (medium to heavy weight sock). I did this for several days and it did stretch it a little however it was still difficult to achieve a quick draw. I then proceded to take Miss Elsie to bed for several nights. The combination warmth and humidity relaxed the leather for a perfect fit. Honestly officer it was strictly a platonic relationship as my wife was also there!
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! Benjamin Franklin

8. #8 Re: Best way to soften a leather holster? 
    When my leather holsters are stiff and new, I massage Neatsfoot oil into the leather by hand to soften and protect the leather. Re-applying once a year will keep your holster in good shape.

9. #9 Re: Best way to soften a leather holster? 
    Come on guys..........clean socks and baggies work the best.

10. #10 Re: Best way to soften a leather holster? 
    Holsters are made to a mold....they are designed to "wear into" the body shape and the gun. They DO NOT need to be softened!!!

In my experience the most comfortable holsters I have and that are the most worn and used.....were "worn in"..

A new holster should be "worn-in", i.e., worn with gun enclosed in an un-demanding situation... (I'd never wear a "new" holster when SD was a chance)

They need body heat and contact with the body and get their final shape .......

For cleaning, a light scrubbing with saddle soap sufficed....and gave a soft sheen....

I have several holsters that I use on a regular basis that were "worn in" in this manner they all work well, are secure and comfortable to wear......

No softening needed!!
    NRA BENEFACTOR LM
    NYS Rifle and Pistol Association LM
    Empire State Arms Collectors Association LM

Everyone Needs a Code They Can Live By....

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads