New IWB holster

This is a discussion on New IWB holster within the LCP Accessories forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; This is a DeSantis Insider. Got it off Amazon for about $25. Has a very sturdy clip to hold it onto your pants and is ...

Thread: New IWB holster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New IWB holster 
    This is a DeSantis Insider. Got it off Amazon for about $25. Has a very sturdy clip to hold it onto your pants and is very well made. Still need to break it in, as the LCP is a tight fit right now. Don't know if/when I'll use it, but I have in case I need it.

http://i.imgur.com/3mOScMW.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/t00kXuk.jpg

2. #2 Re: New IWB holster 
    If you use it let us know how it works. Only had one DeSantis leather holster so far. It was a really tight fit at first also.

3. #3 Re: New IWB holster 
    To me it looks like an unfinished holster.
    It has not been formed fit to the gun and it has not had the edges burnished.

RICHGCOOP

4. #4 Re: New IWB holster 
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHGCOOP View Post
    To me it looks like an unfinished holster.
    It has not been formed fit to the gun and it has not had the edges burnished.

RICHGCOOP
    You are correct on both accounts. Is that a problem? Please educate me.

5. #5 Re: New IWB holster 
    To form fit a holster first make sure your gun is empty then wrap it in a plastic bag or plastic rap.
    Dampen your holster with water or rubbing alcohol. Put your gun in the holster and take something like a kitchen table knife with a nice rounded handle and used round handle and work all the leather down in all the nooks and crannies of the gun.
    With the leather still damp you can burnish all the edges of the edge of the holster that is round them down and over.
    There should be some good videos on YouTube on how to do it.

RICHGCOOP

6. #6 Re: New IWB holster 
    Here is a holster I make back in 1976.

RICHGCOOP
    Last edited by RICHGCOOP; 03-11-2014 at 02:32 PM.

7. #7 Re: New IWB holster 
    When I ordered my Stoner Holsters I also ordered some Holster Dressing which I applied inside and out to help soften the leather. Really helped to "break in" the holster and I apply often to keep the leather conditioned. Always apply a Good leather conditioner to your holsters when in storage and more often when in use. Some conditioners will darken the leather.
    Rich, that is a Handsome Holster, very nice job.

8. #8 Re: New IWB holster 
    I'm pretty sure the holster is finished just as they wanted it. First is a type of leather that comes finished just as you see it. It does not appear to be high quality vegetable tanned leather. It is more like upholstery type leather. There is no wet molding of any type done to the holster. The molding is not done so that that same pattern can be used for many different guns. I would suspect that same holster might be used for as many as 5-10 different guns, and if you alter the sewing pattern some it could be used for many more. I'm not sure even if it was wet molded, that it would take or hold much molding due to the relatively low quality of leather.

Without molding the holster will not have any or much retention. Stick the gun in it and hold it upside down and see if it falls out. Unload the gun first! Once it breaks in some more, I'm sure it will not hold the gun in the holster.

If you do try to wet mold it, it will need to be sealed afterwards. If you don't or can't seal it, I would suggest not even trying to wet mold it. A good sealer helps the holster maintain its shape after wet molding. With that type of leather I'm not sure you will be able to burnish the edges very much. You could buy some Edge Kote or Dura Edge from Tandy Leather (if one is near you) and use that on the edges. They can get messy if not careful.

With this holster adding a leather conditioner probably won't hurt it as there is no wet molding on it. However, for anyone with a quality vegetable tanned leather holster, don't add conditioners!!!!! Most conditioners say they soften the leather. Just read the label and you will see. Leather softeners will make a holster lose its molding and/or retention over the years. Use Renaissance Wax on holsters and you can get a small jar of it at Midway USA or google for it. Neutral shoe polish can be used also on the outside too. Use either one very sparingly, let dry and then buff with soft cotton rag

Personally, I would not do anything to it. You got a $25 holster, so take that for what it is worth. If it works for you, then carry it and be happy. If it does not work out for you, I might suggest spending a few more dollars some where to get a much better holster. Also look at getting a holster with some forward cant and especially if it is a little bigger gun. Cant will make it a little easier to conceal and less printing.

9. #9 Re: New IWB holster 
    Yeah, you're right on there lws380. The directions said to put the gun in a thin sock and stick it in the holster overnight, to stretch out the leather a little. I played around with wearing it in different positions and found I don't like it. Going back to Amazon.

10. #10 Re: New IWB holster 
    Hmm, just discovered the Sticky and Remora IWB holsters. I have a DeSantis Superfly, which I think will work the same way. Gonna try it later on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads