wolff springs?

This is a discussion on wolff springs? within the LCP Accessories forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Is there any downside to the Wolff spring? My hands are pretty strong, so I don't think I'd have trouble racking the slide with the ...

Like Tree2Likes

Thread: wolff springs?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 wolff springs? 
    Is there any downside to the Wolff spring? My hands are pretty strong, so I don't think I'd have trouble racking the slide with the 13# spring. As long as it doesn't affect the functionality of the LCP, it sounds like one of those must-do mods.

2. #2 Re: wolff springs? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang_Bang View Post
    Is there any downside to the Wolff spring? My hands are pretty strong, so I don't think I'd have trouble racking the slide with the 13# spring. As long as it doesn't affect the functionality of the LCP, it sounds like one of those must-do mods.
    Changing out any of Ruger's parts is definitely NOT a "must-do" thing unless there is a really good reason for it.

Are you having ANY problems at all with your LCP? If so, it might be a good idea to discuss the problems rather than a "no-reason" mod.
    Skip Douglas

3. #3 Re: wolff springs? 
    Ya, big drawbacks ... The Wolff springs will tame the recoil some guys are so fond of. It will also prevent you from having fun picking up your brass from the far reaches of the range. But the worst of it is the insistent degrading barbs from the guys who are fearful of of upgrading their firearms for any reason.
    Really though, there has been a few guys here have had a problem with the #13 spring not allowing the slide to lock the slide in the rear position. I haven't heard of the #11 and #12 springs causing this issue. The stronger springs are also challenging for those with arthritis or strength issues in the hands.
    Other than these issues Wolff springs has aided in the reliability of many, many firearms for a long time.
    John

Ante Omnia Armari "Before all else, be armed"

4. #4 Re: wolff springs? 
    Other than keeping your brass from flying so far I can see no good reason to change the springs.
    Take the time to break it in it was engineered right.

RICHGCOOP

5. #5 Re: wolff springs? 
    Cutting down the distance the brass was thrown was the reason I installed a #11 spring. We have to police the brass at out local gun club. Installing the Wolff spring cut my distance by about half. Making cleanup a lot easier.

6. #6 Re: wolff springs? 
    Hmm...I have no problem with the recoil or the brass flying far (since I don't pick it up anyway). If the new spring caused the gun to recoil less though, it wouldn't be a bad thing. The LCP is my carry gun a lot of the times in the summer, so I don't want to do anything to compromise reliability. From what I've read on here, a lot of people like the Wolffs. I can see why some people like to leave the gun "as is" but a lot of times, it can be improved upon. For example, I put the Hogue Hybrid grip on and I like it waaaay more than the stock plastic.

7. #7 Re: wolff springs? 
    IMHO, big difference between changing a grip and changing internals. I would change internals in a second if I felt a need, but so far I don't. No biggie though. You can always try it and change back if you don't feel any difference.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

8. #8 Re: wolff springs? 
    It’s been almost 20 years since I obtained a paper catalog from Cylinder & Slide, Inc., but I recall I read somewhere in there Bill Laughridge mentioned about possible ill effects of using “heavier-than-OEM” recoil springs (pertaining to 1911)…

Basically if you use a recoil spring that is significantly heavier than the stock spring, it actually tames down the pounding of hot loads when the slide opens, which helps reduce wear and tear in some areas of the gun. However, when the slide goes back into battery, it slams back with more force, which actually accelerates wear and tear in other areas… For instance, 13lb Wolff spring that seems very popular is 4lb heavier than the stock 9lb spring. When the slide comes back into battery with this spring, it actually slams back with a significantly more force. Obviously this will accelerate wear and tear in some areas over time... Of course, LCP is a type of gun that is carried more and shot less. So this “accelerated wear and tear” caused by heavier recoil spring may not be a big concern to many…

I personally think the stock 9lb spring seems rather weak (compared to Kel-Tec P3AT’s 11lb stock spring). So I use 11lb Wolf spring with B-T blackened stainless steel guide rod for increased reliability. Now my LCP works perfectly with 6 different kinds of ammunition I tested with, some of which caused malfunction with the stock spring.
    RogueLCP likes this.

9. #9 Re: wolff springs? 
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokyT View Post
    It’s been almost 20 years since I obtained a paper catalog from Cylinder & Slide, Inc., but I recall I read somewhere in there Bill Laughridge mentioned about possible ill effects of using “heavier-than-OEM” recoil springs (pertaining to 1911)…

Basically if you use a recoil spring that is significantly heavier than the stock spring, it actually tames down the pounding of hot loads when the slide opens, which helps reduce wear and tear in some areas of the gun. However, when the slide goes back into battery, it slams back with more force, which actually accelerates wear and tear in other areas… For instance, 13lb Wolff spring that seems very popular is 4lb heavier than the stock 9lb spring. When the slide comes back into battery with this spring, it actually slams back with a significantly more force. Obviously this will accelerate wear and tear in some areas over time... Of course, LCP is a type of gun that is carried more and shot less. So this “accelerated wear and tear” caused by heavier recoil spring may not be a big concern to many…

I personally think the stock 9lb spring seems rather weak (compared to Kel-Tec P3AT’s 11lb stock spring). So I use 11lb Wolf spring with B-T blackened stainless steel guide rod for increased reliability. Now my LCP works perfectly with 6 different kinds of ammunition I tested with, some of which caused malfunction with the stock spring.
    That makes a lot of sense. That 13# spring would be a 44% difference compared to stock. I think maybe I'll give the 11# a try, like you mentioned. I've read other comments saying that the stock spring was weak. If the 11# is what comes with the P3AT, I'd think it'd be fine for the LCP, since it's basically a Kel-Tec copy. It makes sense to give it a try. If there is a slight reduction in recoil, and also a reduction in the chance of ammo malfunction, that sounds pretty nice to me

10. #10 wolff springs? 
    I have a Wolff #11 recoil spring in my LCP. The reason being my takedown pin walked out once. I got new pins from Ruger, installed the slightly heavier spring to reduce the force on the pin during firing recoil. Working fine so far. Yes, it did somewhat slow the flying brass but I noticed no recoil difference in the hand. My LCP has gotten easier to rack with use and I have grip tape on both sides of the slide.
    WWPD - What would Paladin do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads