Procedure for Forming Kydex-

This is a discussion on Procedure for Forming Kydex- within the LCP Accessories forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; I came across this post that details step by step the process of making a holster out of Kydex. I found it fascinating and thought ...

Thread: Procedure for Forming Kydex-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Procedure for Forming Kydex- 
    I came across this post that details step by step the process of making a holster out of Kydex.

I found it fascinating and thought it might be of some interest to others here.

http://www.steyrclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2602

Figured it would be pretty sweet to play around with some different carry design options for the LCP and perhaps incorporating an extra clip into the holster design.

This post makes it appear so clear that makes me think I could do it. :P

"God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it." Daniel Webster

2. #2 Re: Procedure for Forming Kydex- 
    Best illustration I have ever seen on Kydex holster making, now I know I will be making some holsters. KnifeKits is the best place I have found for parts so far. Anyone found any other suppliers of holster parts and supplies.

3. #3 Re: Procedure for Forming Kydex- 
    Looks like fun. I will have to try and find a toaster oven at a Yard sale.

4. #4 Re: Procedure for Forming Kydex- 
    I got into making holsters a few months ago and the link listed above was a big help. The best thing to do is get the basic supplies and start playing. You can make several custom holsters for the price of one commercially made. I made my press from scraps of wood, threaded rods, and camper matting from walmart. The camp mat is thin so I doubled it up. The denser foam of the camping mat is great for very detail forming of small guns, knife sheaths, and mag holders. For larger guns, I use the foam from Knifekits. My best design so far is a two piece IWB, totally concealled (tucked T-shirt and jeans) for my LCP. It's the fastest access deep concealment holster I've seen. The nice thing is, if you mess up just throw it back in the oven and reheat. One tip I would have is make sure you spray some WD40 on the foam before pressing to prevent any sticking issues.

5. #5 Re: Procedure for Forming Kydex- 
    Quote Originally Posted by mltman
    I got into making holsters a few months ago and the link listed above was a big help. The best thing to do is get the basic supplies and start playing. You can make several custom holsters for the price of one commercially made. I made my press from scraps of wood, threaded rods, and camper matting from walmart. The camp mat is thin so I doubled it up. The denser foam of the camping mat is great for very detail forming of small guns, knife sheaths, and mag holders. For larger guns, I use the foam from Knifekits. My best design so far is a two piece IWB, totally concealled (tucked T-shirt and jeans) for my LCP. It's the fastest access deep concealment holster I've seen. The nice thing is, if you mess up just throw it back in the oven and reheat. One tip I would have is make sure you spray some WD40 on the foam before pressing to prevent any sticking issues.
    mltman: Please post some pictures of your IWB that you made
    I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money....
    YOU CAN KEEP THE "CHANGE"

6. #6 Re: Procedure for Forming Kydex- 
    I just placed an order with knifekits, now I just need to stop at the second hand store and get a toaster oven. I will post some pics.

7. #7 Re: Procedure for Forming Kydex- 
    Good luck with the Kydex forming. I tried to post some pics but not sure if it will work. If you are looking for a toaster oven, make sure it will hold a 12x12 sheet. Some toasters are pretty small. Your kitchen oven will work also. I use a rotary hand tool for cutting and sanding.

8. #8 Re: Procedure for Forming Kydex- 
    To post pictures see this link

I don't know if my wife will like the idea of me puting a piece of plastic in the oven, so if I can't find a large enough toaster oven I will just have to do it when she is not home.

9. #9 Re: Procedure for Forming Kydex- 
    One forum that had a thread on forming Kydex mentioned that there was a residual smell after heating it in the oven and his wife didn't appreciate it. Anyone know of this is true?

10. #10 Re: Procedure for Forming Kydex- 
    I never used the kitchen oven but also never noticed a big lingering smell from the toaster oven. I'll attempt to post a few pics again.

[ IMG]http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/mltman/Holsters/Kydex-Holsters-030-web.gif[/IMG]
    [ IMG]http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/mltman/Holsters/KydexHolsters001.jpg[/IMG]
    [ IMG]http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/mltman/Holsters/Kydex-Holsters-009-web.gif[/IMG]
    [ IMG]http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/mltman/Holsters/Kydex-Holsters-008-web.gif[/IMG]
    [ IMG]http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/mltman/Holsters/Kydex-Holsters-005-web.gif[/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads