Ruger Pistol Forums banner

RTK Trigger and Galloway Mods

12K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  gymowner 
#1 ·
I am a big fan of my LC9 even though it has way too much trigger pretravel and a long trigger cycle.

I would like to install the Galloway hammer and trigger bar. I also like the adjustable RTK "Short Stroke" trigger. Ross at RTK confirms that this trigger will not work with the Galloway trigger bar but is compatible with the Galloway hammer mod.

I am trying to determine if the RTK Short Stroke trigger plus the Galloway hammer will be as (or more) effective as the Galloway mod alone. The Galloway mod appears to make a huge difference in the trigger cycle but the long overtravel remains, so I am not convinced I can improve accuracy of rapid successive pulls. The RTK Short Stroke trigger can be adjusted to improve overtravel.

#6 ·
Guys, we have been through this before.... the only way it will effect reliability is if you don't loctite the set screws. If you blue loctite the set screws they will not move without some serious leverage. If you are that anal go with the red loctite, a torch will be required to move them then. The LC9 short stroke trigger is fine for use without the hammer mod... Which I do not recommend. Stock hammer fall is stronger than the modded version, from what I hear. In essence it is the same set up as the sweet pea trigger. Several people on this forum, including myself, have the sweet pea installed with no issues. Granted I have a medical reason for the adjustable trigger install, the others have their own reasons. Cliff read the other threads on this forum. Same guys are boohooing, look past that and read about the positives and decide for yourself if it is for you. 1911 defense guns have been modded to fit the users hands since who knows when. Others are afraid of making changes.
John

#10 ·
Here is my take for what it is worth. In regards to the LC9 trigger, it is what it is. Change it if you want or don't. It is your gun. What I don't understand is the "I bought an LC9 and I don't like the trigger" reviews on some of the gun sales websites. Was the trigger a surprise? This is not intended for the OP or anyone else on this thread. I just can't wrap my head around guys that say I sold my LC9 because I didn't like the trigger. How the heck did you buy it in the first place? That trigger leaves plenty to be desired right in the gun shop. And yes, I do own one. And yes, the trigger was a mile long right in the store where I bought it.

#12 ·
Well, I hate to admit this, but yes, the trigger was a surprise to me. The LC9 was the first gun I ever bought. I bought it solely on how it fit in my hand, as I have smaller hands. Yes, I'd shot a Kimber, a 1911, a F.I. Industries model D ... all those triggers felt about the same. I NEVER encountered a trigger like the LC9. I just didn't know. Newbie to firearms mistake. I REALLY like most everything about my LC9, but the trigger pull is unsettling to me. Maybe I will buy a Galloway kit (and have my husband install it) and maybe I won't, don't know yet .... so yeah, maybe there are a rare few like me who got a surprise. oops.

#11 ·
BigDog makes a good point but there is so much I like about the LC9 I was willing to accept the trigger, or make the mods that I knew were available. This gun simply outscores the competition in my opinion - the perfect size, feel, accuracy, quality. Despite the long trigger movement it is a very smooth trigger. I compared it to the Bodyguard, TCP, LCP, and a Keltec and the LC9 was far and above better for me. No handgun is perfect for every person or situation.

I appreciate the feedback on the RTK trigger.

#13 ·
Well I kinda like the long trigger pull on my LCP...seems like it is an added safety feature. During CCW training I shot a Glock 19 for a bit & was surprised by the difference & shortness of trigger pull. Definitely something I'd consider upon reholstering as I don't totally trust the trigger shoe safety (?) yet. When I get an LC9 I plan on not using the safety (so far I'm thinking) and really WANT the long travel. Still up in the air about the Mag disconnect too.

#14 ·
Has this cured the side to side wobble on the trigger. I have been carrying one of these for several months now, and find it to be a fine little back up gun. I just hate the slop in the trigger, I am aware of the 2 different RTK triggers and all of he rhetoric that has transpired over the good and not good things felt by many. I just want the side to side action to stop. It detracts from the accuacy and gives the gun a cheap feel.After 4 decades of carry, I can say other than that, it's a good little gun more than accurate enough, even with using the laser only out to 25 yards.I happen to like it better than most other guns in it's size. I carried an lcp in the front pocket which had been replaced by this now. I also spoke to Ruger and they explained the need for the slop, as the frame would heat up and the trigger would seize, but that doesn't mean I have to put up with it.Did the RTK end the side to side movement? thanks

#16 ·
When first checking the gun prior to purchase, the side to side play on the trigger fo housing was not really noticeable, to answer the gentleman who asked abouy how one might purchase the gun with such a problem. The long pull didn't bother me, after hundreds of guns I adapt to just about anything. It was only after a couple hundred rounds, that it appeared to become noticeable. That's when I called Ruger. I can still deal with it the way it is, it's just that if it can be made not to do that, "flop side to side" with an eigth of play on either side, I would prefer to fix it. But if it is only going to shorten the distance required to fire the gun, I would leave it as it was designed to be.
I am not one who subscribes to changing things that aren't broken, only improving things that can be improved without making them possiblly unsafe.Ruger claims it was designed to work that way, now it also could be easily shimmed, but that could cause a different problem. It the Galloway or RTK, or Northwood, were to remove the slop, it would just make it a better gun.Also having a 1/4 inch of playside to side, could cause ones finger to slide off of the trigger if wet or oily, which isn't exactlly a safe thing for a carry gun. I just would prefer a more stable trigger.I can't remember having a trigger this sloppy in a gun for a very long time. Oddly the gun still fires accuratelly at distances from 0-25 yards, and I haven't had a flyer yet, but who knows what the future holds. I learned during 4 decades of carrying, if there is something that you feel is wrong, chances are you are right, and if you don't fix it, it will come back and bite you later.But if it stays the way it is and doesn't get wose, I can live with it, "at least until it annoyes me to where it causes me to loose confidence in the gun, "not there yet".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.