LC9 - failure to fire

This is a discussion on LC9 - failure to fire within the LC9 Technical forums, part of the LC9 category; I spent a couple of hours at the range this past week and had a problem with my LC9. I ran about 100 rounds through ...

Thread: LC9 - failure to fire

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 LC9 - failure to fire 
    I spent a couple of hours at the range this past week and had a problem with my LC9. I ran about 100 rounds through it and had no problems at all so the following day I went back and after about 45 rounds I had a failure to fire, cleared and fired off another round and then again FTFire. Pulled the gun apart and found the firing pin hole full of metal fragments. Cleared them, reloaded and fired off about 15 more rounds and again, FTFire. Policed up my brass and found the primers to be distorted and a lot of metal fragments throughout the gun when field striped. I had been using Remington FMJ ammo and all of the spent brass were distorted at the primers the same way. I was also shooting my S&W 1911 in 45 with the same Remington ammo, compared the primers, they were perfect. I called the customer service number for Remington and they are sending me a shipping label to return the spent brass so they could try to figure out what has happened. Might get a box of ammo from them but really just wish they would get this straightened out. If I had to guess it looks like the 9mm primers melted. Really odd.
    Be safe, Frank.

2. #2 Re: LC9 - failure to fire 
    there are some other posts on the web about this.

it happened with mine using S&B ammo.

I found the same situation with small 'discs' of metal but the primers did not look distorted.

'from the web' it is thought there is a sharp edge on the firing pin hole at the breech. the primer extrudes
    slightly, and the edge shaves the primer material.

it has been reported Ruger is chamfering the FP hole... others have tried it with some success.. (a very small chamfer)

when I tried it, I saw improvements with S&B ammo but I am not fully sold on the mod 'yet' (not enough rounds downrange)

3. #3 Re: LC9 - failure to fire 
    Quote Originally Posted by helderberg
    I spent a couple of hours at the range this past week and had a problem with my LC9. I ran about 100 rounds through it and had no problems at all so the following day I went back and after about 45 rounds I had a failure to fire, cleared and fired off another round and then again FTFire. Pulled the gun apart and found the firing pin hole full of metal fragments. Cleared them, reloaded and fired off about 15 more rounds and again, FTFire. Policed up my brass and found the primers to be distorted and a lot of metal fragments throughout the gun when field striped. I had been using Remington FMJ ammo and all of the spent brass were distorted at the primers the same way. I was also shooting my S&W 1911 in 45 with the same Remington ammo, compared the primers, they were perfect. I called the customer service number for Remington and they are sending me a shipping label to return the spent brass so they could try to figure out what has happened. Might get a box of ammo from them but really just wish they would get this straightened out. If I had to guess it looks like the 9mm primers melted. Really odd.
    Be safe, Frank.
    I had a similar problem with my LC9 getting primer shavings in the firing pin hole. I called Ruger and they asked me what I was using for ammo. When I told them they said that the LC9 is designed to use American ammo built to SAAMI specs. They will not guarantee it for Foreign ammo or reloads. I have used only American ammo since then and have had no problems. If you are having trouble with Remington I'd call Ruger and tell them. They said that if I had trouble with American ammo that they would ship the gun both ways and repair it. It seems that the problem is with soft primers.

4. #4 Re: LC9 - failure to fire 
    Thanks for the info. I contacted Remington and they sent me a label to return the shell casings for them to review. I will also contact Ruger as you suggested.
    Thanks for the help, Frank.

5. #5 Re: LC9 - failure to fire 
    I have had a problem with my LC9 that has me scratching my head. I've shot maybe 500 rounds through it since last July when I bought it new and had the shavings in the firing pin channel problem that was resolved with using only American ammo. The one that has me stumped is where on the first round after reload the firing pin will click and the round will not fire. Looking at the primer shows no mark so I don't think it was a light primer strike. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the slide is not quite all the way forward causing the pin to not reach the primer. During the last trip to the range I made sure to properly "slingshot" the slide to chamber the first round and had no problems. It has only happened a very few times, maybe 5 at the most. Any ideas?

6. #6 Re: LC9 - failure to fire 
    If you remember to do it, you can visually check the slide to make sure it has fully traveled into position after loading the first round from a magazine. If the slide is not perfectly in position, you can experiment with a trigger pull (on a safe range and with the pistol aimed downrange, of course) and see if you can duplicate the symptoms. Once you've proven the scenario, then you simply have to ensure that the slide is fully forward every time you load from a fresh magazine.
    Skip Douglas

7. #7 Re: LC9 - failure to fire 
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD
    If you remember to do it, you can visually check the slide to make sure it has fully traveled into position after loading the first round from a magazine. If the slide is not perfectly in position, you can experiment with a trigger pull (on a safe range and with the pistol aimed downrange, of course) and see if you can duplicate the symptoms. Once you've proven the scenario, then you simply have to ensure that the slide is fully forward every time you load from a fresh magazine.
    Thanks for the reply. I may try racking the slide gently next time I'm at the range just to see if I can duplicate it. My biggest and really only concern is when I'm carrying, I wouldn't want it to go click when I need it to go bang.

8. #8 Re: LC9 - failure to fire 
    Quote Originally Posted by alduane
    My biggest and really only concern is when I'm carrying, I wouldn't want it to go click when I need it to go bang.
    That is precisely the reason that you need to experiment enough to determine the root cause and figure out what to do to prevent the problem.
    Skip Douglas

9. #9 Re: LC9 - failure to fire 
    Have you checked the firing pin hole to be sure the port is clear? I found mine was not firing and the problem was the hole was full of filings. I called Ruger, they had me send it back to them as they believe the edge of the hole is probably raised and shaving the back of the case. I found the inside of the slide covered with brass filings and the hole full. It was so full it would not let the firing pin reach the primer. Take a look for your self and it might be the same for you.
    Good luck, Frank.

10. #10 Re: LC9 - failure to fire 
    Quote Originally Posted by helderberg
    Have you checked the firing pin hole to be sure the port is clear? I found mine was not firing and the problem was the hole was full of filings. I called Ruger, they had me send it back to them as they believe the edge of the hole is probably raised and shaving the back of the case. I found the inside of the slide covered with brass filings and the hole full. It was so full it would not let the firing pin reach the primer. Take a look for your self and it might be the same for you.
    Good luck, Frank.
    I did have that problem and was told by Ruger that if I had trouble with American ammo that they would fix it. I had problems with foreign ammo and reloads but after changing to all American factory ammo I haven't had that problem at all. The problem there was soft primers. Since I was familiar with the shavings in the firing pin channel I did rule that out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads