LC9s front sight question

LC9s front sight question

This is a discussion on LC9s front sight question within the LC9 Discussion forums, part of the LC9 category; I know the front sight of the LC9s is adjustable and can be removed but it looks like it would take a very small allen ...

Like Tree4Likes

Thread: LC9s front sight question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 LC9s front sight question 
    I know the front sight of the LC9s is adjustable and can be removed but it looks like it would take a very small allen wrench to remove the screw.
    Does this tiny screw have to be removed to adjust or remove the front sight?
    NRA BENEFACTOR

2. #2 Re: LC9s front sight question 
    Are you sure the front sight is adjustable? Most pistols which have adjustable sights have adjustments only for the rear sight.

I just checked Ruger's web site and their web page at Ruger LC9s states that the rear sight is drift adjustable (for windage only) and the front sight is fixed. Looking at the parts list, the front sight appears to be held in with a dovetail but I don't think it's intended to be moved off center for windage.
    Skip Douglas

3. #3 Re: LC9s front sight question 
    Skip, I understand what you are saying but if this is the case how does the front sight get changed for another sight?, or changed for replacement. Maybe I should contact Ruger. I just thought someone on the forum has been there and done it.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: LC9s front sight question 
    Quote Originally Posted by saltair View Post
    Skip, I understand what you are saying but if this is the case how does the front sight get changed for another sight?, or changed for replacement. Maybe I should contact Ruger. I just thought someone on the forum has been there and done it.
    Because the front sight is connected to the slide using a male dovetail on the bottom of the sight, any replacement sight must have exactly the same dovetail fitting as part of it.

Why would you want to change the factory sight on an up-close belly gun? I don't even bother to try to use the sights when training for close combat. I strictly use point-n-shoot technique that typically has me eyeballing across the top of the slide while focusing on the target.
    Skip Douglas

6. #5 Re: LC9s front sight question 
    Saltair,
    That's a pin not a set screw.
    You can drill the pin out or you should be able to drive it straight thru.

7. #6 Re: LC9s front sight question 
    Thanks Guys, I have no intention of changing the sights but being analytical like I am I was just curious. Any sight problems and the gun returns to Ruger for repair.

I bought a sight removal/adjustment tool to use on the Shield (shooting left) and it got me thinking about the LC9s sights. My LGS gunsmith retired and the new gunsmith has a full time job and is only available part time.
    Last edited by saltair; 01-30-2017 at 06:58 AM.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

8. #7 Re: LC9s front sight question 
    New User
    As both a new member and a new owner of a LC9s Pro I must say it is really a very nice handgun! Shoots nicely and to point of aim at 30 feet. Very nice trigger and grip size is compatible with my hand. 100% function with several factory SD ammunition loads and my handload's using 125 gr. plated RN and 3.9 grains of Tightgroup. My eyes are not what they were several years ago so I am replacing the sights with XS Sight Systems DXT standard dot night sights. I have tritium sights on most of my handguns and I can see them under all conditions. Have on order a sight pusher from the Glock Store and hope it arrives this week so I can install the new sights. I have used the Big Dot on a full size service pistol but went with the standard on this small pistol thinking it would present a better sight picture than the Big Dot. With a change of sights I believe this Pro will be a perfect small yet powerful carry handgun.

9. #8 Re: LC9s front sight question 
    New User
    Finally got around to replacing the sights on my LC9s Pro. The rear was tight but not too bad and the XS night sight went in with out very much trouble. The front is fit very tight and it took a bit of work to remove it. It is not pinned in place...just a casting mark where the pin hole would be. (I checked the slide to verify that there was no hole through the slide). XS tritium front was just too tight and required a bit of metal removed from the dovetail surfaces on the sight to allow for a very snug fit. I used my brass drift and had to re-file the edge to keep it square as there is very little purchase on the blended sight base. I know it looks good with the radius base but squared up would make the task much easier. One does have to be careful with the removal and installation of sights on these pocket rockets. I am liking the standard tritium front with the vertical tritium bar rear. Indexing is easy in low light and it works very well in daylight. I still need a very minor adjustment to have then centered up perfectly. (the sight pusher from the Glock Store just does not work on the LC9s slide. The blended bases is not enough purchase for the pusher blades to work).

10. #9 Re: LC9s front sight question 
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
    Because the front sight is connected to the slide using a male dovetail on the bottom of the sight, any replacement sight must have exactly the same dovetail fitting as part of it.

Why would you want to change the factory sight on an up-close belly gun? I don't even bother to try to use the sights when training for close combat. I strictly use point-n-shoot technique that typically has me eyeballing across the top of the slide while focusing on the target.
    I train the same way. However as you say, even though you are not directly using the sight you are "eyeballing" the front sight. Can't really describe the action of this procedure but it is just a show of how the human eye can adjust to a multi action. Night sights aid in fast action even with point and shoot. "The outer boundaries of peripheral vision correspond to the boundaries of the visual field as a whole." I am not one to give a technical explanation, but what ever it is it works for me.

11. #10 Re: LC9s front sight question 
    Shot my LC9spro yesterday for the first time in over a year. I have to admit I was terrible with it. It occurred to me I never shot it well. The sights always seem to be non instinctive . Did some reading and decided to black out the rear dots and paint the blade white. Looks better to me and hope it helps. Going to try again today and see how it goes. Here is an article on why 3 dots may not be the best. AS Wiley Clapp once said "When I'm shooting, I want to see sights and not a
    geometry problem".

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/no...pistol-sights/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads