LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo

LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo

This is a discussion on LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo within the LC9 Discussion forums, part of the LC9 category; Took the LC9s to the range yesterday and shot Freedom Munitions ball ammo with no problems. When I loaded a mag. of Hornady FTX I ...

Like Tree10Likes

Thread: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Took the LC9s to the range yesterday and shot Freedom Munitions ball ammo with no problems. When I loaded a mag. of Hornady FTX I had a failure to extract, 2 failures to eject (stovepipe). 7 rounds and 3 problems. I went back to the fmj ammo and no more problems. Approx' 100 rounds have been fired, total. Definitely will go back to the range for more self defense round testing.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

2. #2 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Strange. I believe FTX is the bullet used in Critical Defense. I don't often hear about problems cycling Critical Defense.

Dave
    Dave

3. #3 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by saltair View Post
    Took the LC9s to the range yesterday and shot Freedom Munitions ball ammo with no problems. When I loaded a mag. of Hornady FTX I had a failure to extract, 2 failures to eject (stovepipe). 7 rounds and 3 problems. I went back to the fmj ammo and no more problems. Approx' 100 rounds have been fired, total. Definitely will go back to the range for more self defense round testing.
    I just would not use the ammo. Never shoots well out of my guns. No problems actually but just does not feel right and lousy accuracy. I bought a bunch of it when my LGH has a big sale. Should have known. they never have sales.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by dkma22 View Post
    Strange. I believe FTX is the bullet used in Critical Defense. I don't often hear about problems cycling Critical Defense.

Dave
    +1 toytraindoc
    davevabch likes this.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    μολὼν λαβέ

6. #5 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    My next range visit will be a Self Defense round test of the 9mm ammo I have on hand, the Federal Premium 147 gr. Hydra-Shok jhp, Hornady critical defense lite 100gr ftx, Hornady custom 124 gr. xtp and HPR Black Ops 85 gr. OTF, which I have never fired.

I was really surprised with the Hornady FTX having failures in the LC9s or should I say the LC9s having failures with the Hornady FTX...The last couple days I have been thinking to narrow down my Self Defense ammo to 1 or maybe 2 types of ammo. I was talking to the guys at my LGS and all but 1 use the Liberty Civil Defense round but they can not keep it in stock long enough for me to try it. The other guy uses the HPR Black Ops 85 gr. that I mentioned above. LC9s owners, or anyone, please chime in.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

7. #6 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    I just would not use the ammo. Never shoots well out of my guns. No problems actually but just does not feel right and lousy accuracy. I bought a bunch of it when my LGH has a big sale. Should have known. they never have sales.
    These are almost the exact same words one of the employees said at my LGS.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

8. #7 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    I know it's going to be expensive but for the next few range trips I'm going to concentrate on the Self Defense ammo! Pay now or Pay later.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

9. #8 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    New User
    My Walther PPS (original version) doesn't like Hornady Critical Defense 115gr with the FTX bullets. It never had issues with any other ammo, including plenty of my reloads, but the FTX bullets seemed to hang up on the feed ramp the only time I used them. I run Hornady XTPs in it just fine though. No issues with the FTX bullets in my Glock 26.

10. #9 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    I would like to Try and explain something else that happened when I was firing the FTX ammo. I have thought about it but I cannot find an answer.

About the 3rd round I pull the trigger and "click", I'm thinking misfire so I remove the mag. pull back the slide and no bullet in the chamber. I still have a few more rounds in the mag so I insert the mag. While doing so, a lady in the range lane next to me gets my attention and hands me a live round that she said "came from my gun". She said she was watching me while waiting for her son to finish shooting. It ejected from my gun, flew over my head and landed on the floor behind me, according to the lady. Can a live round and casing eject at the same time? Never heard of it.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

11. #10 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    I'm not a "just don't shoot that ammo" type of weapon owner. I believe it should go back to Ruger as many times needed until the weapon is not ammo sensitive any more. Its a bummer, Denny
    bld522 likes this.
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads