LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo - Page 3

LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo

This is a discussion on LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo within the LC9 Discussion forums, part of the LC9 category; Originally Posted by saltair Picture of the above problem. Attachment 8257 I'm not a gunsmith but that doesn't really look right....

Like Tree10Likes

Thread: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by saltair View Post
    Picture of the above problem.

Attachment 8257
    I'm not a gunsmith but that doesn't really look right.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

2. #22 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdogdaddy View Post
    I'm not a gunsmith but that doesn't really look right.
    I took this picture at the gun range. As soon as it happened I pulled out my Android cell phone and took the picture. The one picture I did not take, and wish I had was the round was stuck horizontally with the casing jammed against the mag. and the bullet tip jammed against the feed ramp. Each situation happened multiple times but only with the 9 round mags.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

3. #23 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    I took this picture at the gun range. As soon as it happened I pulled out my Android cell phone and took the picture. The one picture I did not take, and wish I had was the round was stuck horizontally with the casing jammed against the mag. and the bullet tip jammed against the feed ramp. Each situation happened multiple times but only with the 9 round mags.
    You might want to de-bur the magazine edges and the follower edge of the magazine. I just use a little sand paper or a light file. Obviously this is a mag issue and not the gun. (Or at least that is my best guess),
    saltair likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #24 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    At my LGS they check all ammo with a magnet to determine if it has steel components. They told me that the brass coated bullet has a steel core which eats up the back stop and they have had MANY instances where the bullet would bounce back and land behind where the shooter is standing. They showed me pictures of the back stop before they repaired it. It was on the Long range side where you can fire up to a 5.56. They have examples of the steel bullets and a magnet does stick to them.

Other than what they have showed or told me I know nothing about steel ammo. I would think the steel casing would be detrimental to the extractor.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

6. #25 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    You might want to de-bur the magazine edges and the follower edge of the magazine. I just use a little sand paper or a light file. Obviously this is a mag issue and not the gun. (Or at least that is my best guess),
    This would be a good rainy day job, like today, thanks for reminding me.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

7. #26 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    My next range visit will be a Self Defense round test of the 9mm ammo I have on hand, the Federal Premium 147 gr. Hydra-Shok jhp, Hornady critical defense lite 100gr ftx, Hornady custom 124 gr. xtp and HPR Black Ops 85 gr. OTF, which I have never fired.

I was really surprised with the Hornady FTX having failures in the LC9s or should I say the LC9s having failures with the Hornady FTX...The last couple days I have been thinking to narrow down my Self Defense ammo to 1 or maybe 2 types of ammo. I was talking to the guys at my LGS and all but 1 use the Liberty Civil Defense round but they can not keep it in stock long enough for me to try it. The other guy uses the HPR Black Ops 85 gr. that I mentioned above. LC9s owners, or anyone, please chime in.
    Well, in my case, HST 124gr standard pressure in my nines. Although I still have some CD on hand, and been slowly using it.

In my 380's, anything with a XTP, as CD and the FTX just doesn't get the required penetration. I'd like to try some LeHigh, but not bad enough to order it online. Ruger's ARX? I'll pass for now.

8. #27 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    +1 on the HST 124 gr. standard pressure .

9. #28 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    ETS
    Quote Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
    +1 on the HST 124 gr. standard pressure .
    124gr. HST standard press. had pretty nearly perfect performance in plain gel and denim/gel tests by Shoot'n the Bull.

(but .380 HST underpenetrated--alas, life remains complicated )
    ETS
    ++++(Ed)++++
    Rugers presently owned: LCP II, LC9S(semi-pro), Convertible Single Six (x2), Mark II, SR 22, M77(.223), Mini-14
    NRA Benefactor
    Freedom 's Never Free
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant taste of death but once.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads