LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo - Page 2

LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo

This is a discussion on LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo within the LC9 Discussion forums, part of the LC9 category; Went to the range this morning to test some SD ammo in the LC9s. I used (2) 7 round mags. and (2) 9 round mags. ...

Like Tree10Likes

Thread: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Went to the range this morning to test some SD ammo in the LC9s. I used (2) 7 round mags. and (2) 9 round mags.

HPR Black Ops, Remington Golden Sabre, Federal Premium Hydra-shok, Hornady ATX, Hornady FTX, and Hornady FTX Lite.

Everything fired fine in the 7 round mags. but ALL 3 Hornady SD ammo had problems in both 9 round mags. Hornady ATX, FTX and FTX Lite.

The new round was sticking out of the slide, bullet end first, with the slide closed on it OR the new round was jammed tight between the mag. and the feed ramp.

Each problem happened with every 9 round mag. I feel it is a magazine problem when using Hornady SD ammo.
    Last edited by saltair; 01-31-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

2. #12 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Picture of the above problem.

LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo-hornady-atx.jpg
    NRA BENEFACTOR

3. #13 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    I called Ruger and they are going to send me 2 replacement 9 round mags. and a new Guide rod assembly.

I'll try the new mags. first and if still having problems I'll change out the Guide rod assembly. This is the first she, at Ruger, has heard of this problem.

Ruger Customer Service is Great!
    Last edited by saltair; 01-31-2017 at 02:17 PM.
    rayzer007, ETS and davevabch like this.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #14 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny4kids View Post
    I'm not a "just don't shoot that ammo" type of weapon owner. I believe it should go back to Ruger as many times needed until the weapon is not ammo sensitive any more. Its a bummer, Denny
    You are right Denny, especially the LC9S eats any ammo, at least every single thing I have ever put into it. Going to try out the Hornady XTP made by Freedom for both 9mm and 380. Even 9mm new will only be around $17.00 a box of 50.

https://www.freedommunitions.com/amm...r-xtp-new.html

6. #15 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Ruger sent me a 7 and 9 round mag. The LC9s shoots everything as long as I use the 7 round mag. I honestly feel the 9 round mag. is the problem. I think the mag. does not feed the Hornady ammo properly. I have not tried the New 9 rounder Ruger sent me but I have made up my mind not to use Hornady ATX, FTX ammo. Hornady works fine in my Lcp's but I have lost confidence and do Not feel comfortable carrying it.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

7. #16 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    You are right Denny, especially the LC9S eats any ammo, at least every single thing I have ever put into it. Going to try out the Hornady XTP made by Freedom for both 9mm and 380. Even 9mm new will only be around $17.00 a box of 50.

https://www.freedommunitions.com/amm...r-xtp-new.html
    dave, do you have a 9 round mag. for your LC9s? If you do let us know the results using the XTP.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

8. #17 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by saltair View Post
    dave, do you have a 9 round mag. for your LC9s? If you do let us know the results using the XTP.
    Yes, and will let you know. I recently had a order come in from Freedom as listed on ammo topic. Geco ammo, their Steel were among the order. I order quite a bit of ammo from Freedom, so it should not be long before I order more.

9. #18 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    I buy from Freedom munitions but have never tried the Geco ammo and I don't shoot Steel ammo, the range does Not allow Steel ammo.
    NRA BENEFACTOR

10. #19 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by saltair View Post
    I buy from Freedom munitions but have never tried the Geco ammo and I don't shoot Steel ammo, the range does Not allow Steel ammo.
    They are brass coated bullets with steel casing. I would not understand why they could give a hoot what kind of casing you use. Shooting steel cased ammo has been debated Ad nauseam and in my personal opinion perfectly fine to shoot. I have shot thousands of rounds with Tula, Bear, Wolf and on and on. More manufactures are going to the steel casing and it is getting cheaper all the time. I would ask your range to clarify exactly what they mean with term "steel ammo" and ask if you can shoot the Freedom or whatever. Regardless, I want to at least try this ammo out. I shoot a lot and every penny can add up quick.

Actually the slick coating may run even smoother in some guns.

http://www.ammoguru.com/steel-cased-...ctually-shoot/
    Last edited by davevabch; 02-11-2017 at 01:27 PM.

11. #20 Re: LC9s has problem with Hornady SD ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    ..... I would not understand why they could give a hoot what kind of casing you use.
    The answer is simple, Dave. Operators of a lot of ranges collect and sell the spent brass that's left after shooting sessions. They simply don't want to have to separate steel cases from the much more valuable (to them) brass cases.
    davevabch likes this.
    Skip Douglas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads