LC9s slide lock back on partially empty mag.

LC9s slide lock back on partially empty mag.

This is a discussion on LC9s slide lock back on partially empty mag. within the LC9 Discussion forums, part of the LC9 category; Hi all, I've searched this forum but have not found this problem mentioned. However I have had some interesting reading. I've had my LC9s since ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bojangles
  • 1 Post By Bojangles

Thread: LC9s slide lock back on partially empty mag.

1. #1 LC9s slide lock back on partially empty mag. 
    New User
    Hi all, I've searched this forum but have not found this problem mentioned. However I have had some interesting reading.

I've had my LC9s since August 2016 and have probably put about 500 rounds through it. I really love to shoot it but lately it has developed a problem where the slide locks back after just a few rounds are fired. it's not "jammed". All I have to do to chamber a new round is to pull back and release the slide. It may happen again within the same mag. Sometimes a complete mage will function properly all the way through, but that's a 50/50 chance. I called Ruger and they sent me a replacement mag (I didn't look to see if it was USA or Italian made). It did not help the problem and I sent it back. They told me to send the LC9s back to them but I thought I'd do a little investigation first.

I've tried four 7 round Ruger mags and a ten round ProMag. Same problem.
    I've run several brands of 115gr FMJ. Same problem.
    I've run Critical Defense 115gr. Same problem.
    I've cleaned the gun and the mags. Same problem.

I've read elsewhere in the forums that it may be that I am thumbing the slide lock button during recoil. I'll check that out (with lipstick ) tomorrow at the range. The slid lock spring is not broken, but I don't know if it's weak or not.

However the oddest thing I've noticed is that when the slide locks back, the very next cartridge in line has moved forward more than 1/4 inch and upon inspection the nose of the bullet has a very small gouge right on the side where it would contact the slide lock trip tab. I've also noticed that as I start from a newly loaded mag, each cartridge slips forward a little at which point I get the slide lock problem and the next cartridge has moved 1/4 inch or so forward. I have read about the last few cartridges loaded into the mags wiggle up and down and around a bit. Mine do that as well. Don't know if that relates to my problem.

LC9s slide lock back on partially empty mag.-bulletgouge.jpgLC9s slide lock back on partially empty mag.-microscope-gouge.jpgLC9s slide lock back on partially empty mag.-slidelock.jpg
    Hopefully these photos illustrate the cartridge position and bullet condition.

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. #2 Re: LC9s slide lock back on partially empty mag. 
    New User
    Range Report: Put lipstick on the slide latch lever and was rather conscious of my grip. Went through several mags with no premature slide lock until I got sloppy with a two handed grip that was probably too bunched up. The slide locked before the last cartridge was fired. There was lipstick on my thumb, probably from recoil.
    -So it appears to me that the above pictures are a RESULT of my poor grip and not the CAUSE of the slide lock.
    -I've readjusted my grip and will try again at the range on Tuesday.
    -I also compared the slide lock's resistance to movement on an LC9 and my LC9s. The LC9 definitely has a stronger spring. I'll look into that.
    rayzer007 likes this.

3. #3 Re: LC9s slide lock back on partially empty mag. 
    New User
    Range Report: The grip change (lower and more forward with left hand) made a big difference but did not entirely stop the slide lock problem.
    I compared the slide lock lever resistance on my LC9s to an older LC9. The LC9s is definitely lighter.
    Does anyone know it the Item Number: 61651 LC9® SLIDE STOP SPRING in at ShopRuger.com is supposed to be the same for the LC9s? It doesn't explicitly say so.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: LC9s slide lock back on partially empty mag. 
    mxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojangles View Post
    Range Report: The grip change (lower and more forward with left hand) made a big difference but did not entirely stop the slide lock problem.
    I compared the slide lock lever resistance on my LC9s to an older LC9. The LC9s is definitely lighter.
    Does anyone know it the Item Number: 61651 LC9® SLIDE STOP SPRING in at ShopRuger.com is supposed to be the same for the LC9s? It doesn't explicitly say so.
    I checked the respective manuals on the Ruger website and it shows both having the same part number [CP03720].

6. #5 Re: LC9s slide lock back on partially empty mag. 
    New User
    Thanks, Appreciate it! Wonder why my older LC9 has more resistance. Maybe manufacturing tolerances or final spring shape.

7. #6 Re: LC9s slide lock back on partially empty mag. 
    New User
    OK. Problem solved. Got new Slide Stop spring from Ruger - no charge. Disassembled LC9s to get to the spring and noticed that a slight reforming (bending) of the spring may be all that was needed. Since I had a replacement spring as a backup I gave it a slight downward preset bend and reassembled. The slide lock lever has better resistance now. The last shot slide lock works just fine, but most importantly the slide lock with a partially empty mag hasn't happened at all in the last two range visits.
    rayzer007 likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads