Fired my LC9 in self defense..... on a deer

Fired my LC9 in self defense..... on a deer

This is a discussion on Fired my LC9 in self defense..... on a deer within the LC9 Discussion forums, part of the LC9 category; During the recent gun deer hunting season my Dad wounded a doe. We waited until about 7:30 PM to track it and after following the ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Skutr
  • 1 Post By davevabch
  • 1 Post By Denny4kids

Thread: Fired my LC9 in self defense..... on a deer

1. #1 Fired my LC9 in self defense..... on a deer 
    During the recent gun deer hunting season my Dad wounded a doe. We waited until about 7:30 PM to track it and after following the trail for about 150 yards we found it laying down, head up looking at us. We needed to put it down but because it was after official hunting hours we didn't have a long gun with us. The only gun we had was my LC9 loaded with 125 gr hollow points (I'm licensed for concealed carry).

I slowly walked to about 30 feet away, got down on one knee for a stable shooting position and aimed for its head. My son was behind me with the spot light and just as I'm 1/2 way through the trigger squeeze it jumps up and runs STRAIGHT at me. My son panics and drops the spot light leaving us in complete darkness. My Infantry background took over as I squeezed off two quick rounds.

My son got the spot light back on in time for me to see the deer fall over two feet away. Our best guess is that my first shot missed and my second hit the spine at the base of the neck.

What did I learn? Hollow points work. I like being a redneck. The LC9 trigger squeeze is really long. 9 mm can be a one shot kill and my Dad needs to spend more at the range.
    Last edited by SkipD; 12-02-2016 at 08:42 PM.
    RICHGCOOP, Denny4kids and rpott3 like this.

2. #2 Re: Fired my LC9 in self defense..... on a deer 
    Good shooting. Thanks for posting.

3. #3 Re: Fired my LC9 in self defense..... on a deer 
    Sounds like a great hunting trip! Its great your training kicked in! Here in Idaho the further north we hunt we have those pesky wolves to deal with. I carry my trusty Glock 20 10mm just in case.
    One of the things I learned from your story is that everyone needs their own light. Your Son did great, even a charging doe could mess you up pretty bad. Denny
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Fired my LC9 in self defense..... on a deer 
    The deer in my opinion was probably not charging to hurt you, (just my speculation) but just disorientated and trying to escape. I have seen this numerous times. One hot day we shot a large doe. My friend and I carried it for a good ways back to camp. We would take a few breaks along the way. On one break we sat down, took off our coats and rested. We were sitting there chatting when we saw the doe pick up her head, look around and tried to take off on wobbly legs. She did not make it far and collapsed.
    Denny, I hope you never have to kill a Wolf, they are beautiful animals and I hope they never go into extinction. I personally would never shoot one except in a life or death situation. In my area in the South, they have transplanted the Red Wolf, and this has been working out well. Minimal effect on the deer herd and as I mentioned, just beautiful animals.
    Denny4kids likes this.

6. #5 Re: Fired my LC9 in self defense..... on a deer 
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny4kids View Post
    Sounds like a great hunting trip! Its great your training kicked in! Here in Idaho the further north we hunt we have those pesky wolves to deal with. I carry my trusty Glock 20 10mm just in case.
    One of the things I learned from your story is that everyone needs their own light. Your Son did great, even a charging doe could mess you up pretty bad. Denny
    +1 toytraindoc
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    μολὼν λαβέ

7. #6 Re: Fired my LC9 in self defense..... on a deer 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    Denny, I hope you never have to kill a Wolf, they are beautiful animals and I hope they never go into extinction. I personally would never shoot one except in a life or death situation. In my area in the South, they have transplanted the Red Wolf, and this has been working out well. Minimal effect on the deer herd and as I mentioned, just beautiful animals.
    We have a Wolfe problem here in Idaho, They seem to kill the Elk just for fun. Our Grey Wolf weighs about 100 lbs. A big adult Male could be 120 lbs. I read about someone that killed a 175 lb Grey. A Red Wolfe weighs and is about the same size as our large Coyote. I would not want to mess with a Red Wolfe!
    I would only kill a Wolfe if it was necessary. It's not my job to thin the pack. Den
    davevabch likes this.
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads