What bullet grain weight to use.... - Page 3

What bullet grain weight to use....

This is a discussion on What bullet grain weight to use.... within the LC9 Discussion forums, part of the LC9 category; Originally Posted by bberg100 The more I learn about the Polycase Interceptor / Ruger ARX, the more intrigued I am. Grabbed a box for the ...

Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What bullet grain weight to use....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by bberg100 View Post
    The more I learn about the Polycase Interceptor / Ruger ARX, the more intrigued I am. Grabbed a box for the LCP, haven't made it to the range yet. They are the epitome of fast & light. Awesome wound channels, but the rep didn't know if the displayed tests had any clothing etc. I am still a believer in tried and true. Gonna take a lot of convincing for me to carry them versus the Hornady CD that has been proven to work the majority of the time.
    Is that the anmo that has a bullet that resembles a Phillips head bit? If so, that just reminds me too much of those Federal Gaurd Dogs.

I dunno, those that you mentioned, and these, might be good, I just think for personal defense, a tried and true hollow point is the way to go. Maybe I'm wrong.
    @corneileous I really didn't mean to irk you...
    You didn't, I just didn't want this thread to go in that direction where everyone starts saying their choice is the best...lol.
    All I can say is try what intrigues you. 90% of ammo will function flawlessly in 90% of the guns for 90% of the shooters.For your LC9 I would carry the Hornady CD 115g, or the Federal HydroShock 124g. They are customer favorites and you rarely hear/read about a failure. There is not an ammo 100% effective all the time. Clothing - bulk, material, etc., hitting a clothing rivet or cell phone or belt buckle or ... Build a relationship with the folks at your LGS, even if it is a big Cabela's or such. They generally are truly interested in giving you good advice, and you can read real quick if they are shining you on. Most of the folks on this forum are likewise going to give you their honest opinion, sometimes not what you wanted or expected. Honestly your opening statement sounded to me like "tell me the best ammo for my gun" thus the wandering through the barbershop.
    I apologize for making it appear that way.

I think I'll be pretty happy with the Federal HST.

My only concern is just the bullet weight issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by corneileous; 11-08-2016 at 09:35 AM.

2. #22 Re: What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    One bullet type that should get serious consideration for defensive use is the Barnes all-copper hollowpoint bullet. This type is one that's used by the folks at Cor-Bon and they call it their DPX bullet. For their 9mm Luger standard-pressure load (as opposed to the high-pressure "+P" load), they use a 95gr. bullet and rate the load at 1300FPS from a 3=1/2" test barrel. This load has gotten some seriously good reports when tested on animal cadavers. I use Cor-Bon DPX loads in my LCP (.380 ACP) and my Glock 19 (9mm).

Click on this link for Cor-Bon's web page on their DPX loads.
    Last edited by SkipD; 11-08-2016 at 03:49 PM.
    Skip Douglas

3. #23 Re: What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    I may test and look at the reviews for the Federal Premium 150gr HST @900fps. Right on the box there is a pistol shape and the word Micro under it. Depending on the powder they use this could be a soft shooter.
    https://www.federalpremium.com/ammun...se-hst/p9hst5s
    In my experience a heavy bullet has more knock down power. When I first started shooting IDPA competition my weapon was a SR9c and I was using cheap Winchester and Federal 115 grain rounds. They would only knock down a steel pepper popper target if I hit it at the very top. I tried a stage with another shooters 147gr reloads and the poppers fell know matter where the hits were. Most .380 rounds just bounce off the poppers unless we tune them for light rounds then the wind will blow them over a lot.
    I now reload 147gr foe IDPA with a fast powder @890fps and the recoil is light and they knock down anything.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=pepp...w=1366&bih=635

Whatever you pick for carry, make sure they are accurate in your weapon! Shoot some 20-25 yard groups from a rest. This will also show if your sights are off. If need be have another shooter give it a try with your weapon. Denny
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #24 Re: What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post

I think I'll be pretty happy with the Federal HST.

My only concern is just the bullet weight issue.
    Enjoy the Federal HST in either weight. They're both great rounds. You'll start taking the fun out of all this by obsessing about the weight difference, and it's not that important. The differences aren't that great. Accuracy trumps caliber , and accuracy trumps weight differences! There's no magic round!

Now go out and enjoy your gun!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

6. #25 Re: What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    Well, here's another one.. What about gun wear between light and heavy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. #26 Re: What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Well, here's another one.. What about gun wear between light and heavy?
    In my opinion, things like the very minor differences (if there are any) in gun (barrel) wear are totally insignificant. What matters for a self-defense weapon is simply the terminal performance to be able to stop aggressive action of a "bad guy".

The round that knocks over an inanimate target (such a the steel targets talked about above) better may or may not cause more internal damage that can result in stopping the aggression faster.

Terminal performance coupled with a firearm that can be adequately controlled by the shooter under a variety of conditions is what concerns me for a self-defense package.
    rayzer007 likes this.
    Skip Douglas

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads