What bullet grain weight to use.... - Page 2

What bullet grain weight to use....

This is a discussion on What bullet grain weight to use.... within the LC9 Discussion forums, part of the LC9 category; I carry Hornady 135gr +P Critical Duty in my SR9c. The ammo passes the FBI tests. Denny...

Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What bullet grain weight to use....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    I carry Hornady 135gr +P Critical Duty in my SR9c. The ammo passes the FBI tests. Denny
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

2. #12 Re: What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    Something additional - in this thread, you have not even addressed what caliber you are interested in and what firearm(s) you are interested about using the cartridge(s) in. Answers to these questions will help to narrow the potentially extremely wide range of answers you could get for your discussion.
    Skip Douglas

3. #13 What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipD View Post
    Are you not interested in WHY someone would choose a particular bullet type/style/weight in a particular caliber? If you're trying to choose something, I'd think that sort of information would be extremely useful.
    Of course I'm interested in WHY. That's the whole intent of this thread.

Just because bberg assumed I was asking everybody what the "best" is, don't assume that as well.

I realize in the end it's gonna all come down to me and what I intend to use.
    Something additional - in this thread, you have not even addressed what caliber you are interested in and what firearm(s) you are interested about using the cartridge(s) in. Answers to these questions will help to narrow the potentially extremely wide range of answers you could get for your discussion.
    Well, not to be facetious but since I posted my topic in the LC9 Discussion Forum, I figured it was implied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #14 Re: What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    There are probably thousands of posts on the internet about the subject of what bullets perform better than others for each of many calibers. In order to really get the best feedback for your situation, it might be good to define how you would expect to use the chosen bullet(s). For example:

• Are you looking to defend your home and/or defending yourself in a variety of locations outside the home?
    • Would you expect someone who you would want to defend against to be dressed in a heavy coat during the colder months or is lighter clothing the norm year-round?
    • If you're thinking of defending your home, what are the spaces like? Are the rooms small or very large? How are the walls built (considering projectiles possibly passing through a wall or walls and putting family members at risk as a result, or even having projectiles bouncing off very hard walls, etc.)?
    • What sort of contact distances with a "bad guy" would you expect where you might be?
    • Are you limiting your firearm(s) consideration to the LC9 (9mm and very short barrel and prohibiting use of "+P" ammunition)?
    • Are there other situations can you think of that might require a somewhat special choice of bullet types for you to use?
    Skip Douglas

6. #15 What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    There are probably thousands of posts on the internet about the subject of what bullets perform better than others for each of many calibers. In order to really get the best feedback for your situation, it might be good to define how you would expect to use the chosen bullet(s). For example:

Are you looking to defend your home and/or defending yourself in a variety of locations outside the home?
    Yes.
    Would you expect someone who you would want to defend against to be dressed in a heavy coat during the colder months or is lighter clothing the norm year-round?
    Both.
    If you're thinking of defending your home, what are the spaces like? Are the rooms small or very large? How are the walls built (considering projectiles possibly passing through a wall or walls and putting family members at risk as a result, or even having projectiles bouncing off very hard walls, etc.)?
    Yes and, it's a fairly average small house that's old. Don't really have to worry so much about barrier protection for other room occupants but, I don't think I want my bullets to go through the assailant and ending up in either of the two vehicles outside.

I'm not going to be using full metal jacket range ammo for home or personal defense, not even them silver, (can't think of the name of them) range ammo-looking personal defense rounds, I'm going to use actual hollow points. Right now the Ruger is loaded with 147g Federal Premium HST personal defense rounds that have been FBI approved.

What sort of contact distances with a "bad guy" would you expect where you might be?
    Prolly no more than 5 feet unless an intruder breaks in the house in the middle of the night, then he's gonna be staring down the barrel of my 40 caliber Beretta that has a lot more rounds.
    Are you limiting your firearm(s) consideration to the LC9 (9mm and very short barrel and prohibiting use of "+P" ammunition)?
    Yes because Ruger recommends against +P ammunition usage in the LC9s.
    Are there other situations can you think of that might require a somewhat special choice of bullet types for you to use?
    No, don't think so.

My question is just primarily why do some people prefer lighter, faster bullets over slower, heavier bullets and why.

As far as what the LC9s likes grain-wise to preventing FTE and FTL, that's another question. I know some guns don't like lightweight ammo. My Beretta Storm for example has liked almost everything I've shot out of it except some 60 grain ammo. I had a FTL when doing a rapid fire test. After the 6th round, the empty shell casing didn't come out.

7. #16 Re: What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    Just get out and start shooting. You will find out all the answers yourself. "Become one with the gun". My two LC9's don't seem to give a dang what you put in them. I reload with 124.
    Denny4kids likes this.

8. #17 Re: What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I'm not going to be using full metal jacket range ammo for home or personal defense, not even them silver, (can't think of the name of them) range ammo-looking personal defense rounds, I'm going to use actual hollow points. Right now the Ruger is loaded with 147g Federal Premium HST personal defense rounds that have been FBI approved.
    What barrel length were the Federal rounds approved for? The shorter barrel lengths simply won't provide the same velocity as longer barrel lengths.

Velocity is critically important for a hollow-point bullet to perform (expand) as intended. At lower velocities, some hollow-point bullets may not expand at all and thus would perform similarly to round-nose full metal jacket bullets. Lighter pistol bullets were invented as a way to achieve higher velocity in smaller handguns so that expansion could be more consistent in a self-defense target.

When analyzing self-defense ammunition, you must consider the firearm YOU intend to use and not just the advertising hype for the particular ammunition. The FBI approval of that load you mentioned, for example, would apply only to the weapons issued by the FBI or others with similar performance characteristics.
    Skip Douglas

9. #18 Re: What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    What barrel length were the Federal rounds approved for? The shorter barrel lengths simply won't provide the same velocity as longer barrel lengths.
    This I don't know. I've seen ballistics tests but I don't know if what gun was used was disclosed. But yes, I know that longer or shorter barrels will have different velocities.
    Velocity is critically important for a hollow-point bullet to perform (expand) as intended. At lower velocities, some hollow-point bullets may not expand at all and thus would perform similarly to round-nose full metal jacket bullets. Lighter pistol bullets were invented as a way to achieve higher velocity in smaller handguns so that expansion could be more consistent in a self-defense target.
    See, this is why I'm asking. I just want what will be effective.
    When analyzing self-defense ammunition, you must consider the firearm YOU intend to use and not just the advertising hype for the particular ammunition. The FBI approval of that load you mentioned, for example, would apply only to the weapons issued by the FBI or others with similar performance characteristics.
    So, in other words, are you basically saying that whatever one decides to choose would be fine? I mean, in a lot of ways, I think a bullet is a bullet. Of course, there's a reason why we have self and home defense ammo and why we have range and plinking ammo but, I'm just curious which is more effective between light and fast and heavy and slow.

10. #19 Re: What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    Just get out and start shooting. You will find out all the answers yourself. "Become one with the gun". My two LC9's don't seem to give a dang what you put in them. I reload with 124.
    Have you tried anything super-light? I'm not saying my Ruger would have the same results as my Beretta 40 did with 60 grain rounds but, I just don't want to burn through a bunch of ammo and money finding out if something on the extreme light side will be reliable. But, if there is a valid argument that lightning fast rounds proves more effective then I may have to consider it.

11. #20 Re: What bullet grain weight to use.... 
    The more I learn about the Polycase Interceptor / Ruger ARX, the more intrigued I am. Grabbed a box for the LCP, haven't made it to the range yet. They are the epitome of fast & light. Awesome wound channels, but the rep didn't know if the displayed tests had any clothing etc. I am still a believer in tried and true. Gonna take a lot of convincing for me to carry them versus the Hornady CD that has been proven to work the majority of the time.

@corneileous I really didn't mean to irk you, I spend all day behind the counter at a LGS answering the same questions. I "love" customers that "must" buy an autoloader, but can't rack the slide, they do everything but call me an idiot when they buy it. It soon comes back in trade for a revolver. Same with ammo. All I can say is try what intrigues you. 90% of ammo will function flawlessly in 90% of the guns for 90% of the shooters. For your LC9 I would carry the Hornady CD 115g, or the Federal HydroShock 124g. They are customer favorites and you rarely hear/read about a failure. There is not an ammo 100% effective all the time. Clothing - bulk, material, etc., hitting a clothing rivet or cell phone or belt buckle or ... Build a relationship with the folks at your LGS, even if it is a big Cabela's or such. They generally are truly interested in giving you good advice, and you can read real quick if they are shining you on. Most of the folks on this forum are likewise going to give you their honest opinion, sometimes not what you wanted or expected. Honestly your opening statement sounded to me like "tell me the best ammo for my gun" thus the wandering through the barbershop.

PS - For my Springfield EMP 9mm, I carry the Winchester Ranger 127g +P+ the department issued before I retired. It functions flawlessly in my gun. It will destroy a gun in short order with regular use, I run reloaded 124 ball for practice & plinking.
    Ruger -Charger, LCP, 1911, Single-Six, Mk III, Charger, GP-100, Blackhawk 41, Super Blackhawk 44, Super Redhawk 480
    S&W - Model 60 .357, Model 29 44
    1911 - Ruger SR-1911, Kimber Tactical II, Colt Gold Cup, Rock Island 1911A1, Springfield EMP (9mm), GSG (22lr)
    A few other auto loaders
    Numerous Single Action wheel guns
    Too many long guns to list...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads