American Steel ammo

American Steel ammo

This is a discussion on American Steel ammo within the LC9 Discussion forums, part of the LC9 category; I have been using Freedom Munition 115g new & remanufactured for over a year now in my LC9s Pro without one misfire or failure to ...

Like Tree7Likes

Thread: American Steel ammo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 American Steel ammo 
    I have been using Freedom Munition 115g new & remanufactured for over a year now in my LC9s Pro without one misfire or failure to feed.

Read the reviews on their American Steel ammo and bought 550 rounds.

First trip to the range with it today and in one 50 round box, I must have had ten failure to feeds where the slide stayed locked back. One complete round got stuck in the barrel and I had to tap the gun fairly hard to dislodge it.

A little disgusted since I still have 500 rounds left.

Anyone else use that ammo and had similar issues?
    Last edited by hddodgeguy; 09-09-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    Retired LEO
    Harley Davidson's & Guns, what else is there to say!!

2. #2 Re: American Steel ammo 
    I use Tula and Wolfs steel Amao all the time and never have any issues with them. The one thing I really do is to keep my feed ramp very clean and I also polish it was diamond ruge and a buffing wheel. I swear by this and it really works for me. I hope this Will help you out.
    davevabch likes this.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    μολὼν λαβέ

3. #3 Re: American Steel ammo 
    I have always really appreciated Tula ammo. In fact Tula is one of my favorites for all my Ruger semi's. I was using Tula even when it was getting a bad rap from internet chatter about it hard on extractors, (which was later debunked). Tula has been proven to be affordable, shoot well well, reliable and accurate. Thousands of rounds later, and my extractors are still going strong. The only down side, was the fact that you could not reuse the round for reloading, and I would average one hard primer strike in a box of 50. Recently that problem seems to have been corrected as I have not had any hard primers strikes.
    I have also shot thousands of rounds with Freedom 9mm with no problems, and have bought in bulk when on sale and cheap shipping sales were offered. I now only buy New ammo from them and not reloaded. Just feel like the brass will better perform for reloading. At around a Penny more per round, it is not big deal. However, I did see the "STEEL CASED AMMO" for sale by Freedom and wondered why anyone would buy it, as the cost difference was nil or close to it. Freedom also sells Remington ammo by the bucket. I only buy them now over the Freedom.
    Last edited by davevabch; 09-11-2016 at 06:07 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: American Steel ammo 
    Just ordered this......Maybe it will help.....still going to see if I can return the AS ammo....

Sure Feed Guide Rod Assembly for Ruger LC9s Pistols :: LC9s Performance Parts :: Ruger? Performance :: Galloway Precision
    Retired LEO

6. #5 Re: American Steel ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by hddodgeguy View Post
    Just ordered this......Maybe it will help.....still going to see if I can return the AS ammo....

Sure Feed Guide Rod Assembly for Ruger LC9s Pistols :: LC9s Performance Parts :: Ruger? Performance :: Galloway Precision
    Please post your findings with the new assembly hddodgeguy. I did notice this recommendation from the Galloway link:

"Use of quality ammo only recommend, like stock do not use steel cased ammo, SB ammo, Fiocchi ammo or any off brand reloads. "
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

7. #6 Re: American Steel ammo 
    Will do.....yep saw that warning also.....

If FN doesn't want to take back the ammo or I have to pay return shipping, I may try it in my new Springfield XD Mod 2 9mm and see what happens.
    Retired LEO

8. #7 Re: American Steel ammo 
    Update - Freedom Munitions is paying to ship the remaining 500 rounds back to them and issuing company credit. They said that when I reorder with the credit, they will give me free shipping.

Guess I couldn't ask for more. Learned a lesson, don't try to save a penny, buy what you know works.....
    Retired LEO

9. #8 Re: American Steel ammo 
    Just got done installing the new guide rod assembly on the LC9S.

I guess I have "Donald Trump" hands since after trying for 15 minutes to compress the heavy spring on the guide rod, it just wasn't compressing enough. I had to put on a pair of leather gloves and was able to get it done. Spring is 2lbs heavier than the factor spring.

I also installed the RTK trigger in red on my LCP after the LC9s job was completed. That was pretty straight forward. Glad I had an allen wrench the size of those small set screws.

Now to go to the range and see if there are any improvements....
    Retired LEO

10. #9 Re: American Steel ammo 
    Just curious, buy am a little confused as to why you are getting the heavy spring. You gun was shooting fine for a year with re manufactured ammo, and goes down with one brand of ammo. (the Freedom steel). The Galloway spring seems excessively heavy and the LC9S is already a fairly mild shooter from the factory. In fact, I think the recoil is very low for the sizel and it is very accurate. I just use the factory spring and have no failures. It makes me wonder if you will receive undo wear on the gun in the long run with such a heavy spring. How often to you plan to change out your springs? Galloway springs are expensive and did Ruger have anything to say about the heavy spring you will be using?
    Thanks for posting and keep us informed, try and let us know say about 500 rounds later or when you change out the spring for standard maintenance.

11. #10 Re: American Steel ammo 
    Quote Originally Posted by davevabch View Post
    Just curious, buy am a little confused as to why you are getting the heavy spring. You gun was shooting fine for a year with re manufactured ammo, and goes down with one brand of ammo. (the Freedom steel). The Galloway spring seems excessively heavy and the LC9S is already a fairly mild shooter from the factory. In fact, I think the recoil is very low for the sizel and it is very accurate. I just use the factory spring and have no failures. It makes me wonder if you will receive undo wear on the gun in the long run with such a heavy spring. How often to you plan to change out your springs? Galloway springs are expensive and did Ruger have anything to say about the heavy spring you will be using?
    Thanks for posting and keep us informed, try and let us know say about 500 rounds later or when you change out the spring for standard maintenance.
    Ruger didn't say anything negative about the heavier spring but said it really wasn't needed.

They sent me five new magazine springs which are longer than the ones that came with the magazines. But then again, maybe the factory ones were longer to start with......

I have not been back to the range to try them. Waiting on 700 rounds of the Freedom Munition 115g Reman to arrive.
    Retired LEO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads