Best ammo for the LC9

This is a discussion on Best ammo for the LC9 within the LC9 Discussion forums, part of the LC9 category; I just got the LC9 and was wondering what is a good ammo to use with it... Looking for a range load and a security ...

Thread: Best ammo for the LC9

1. #1 Best ammo for the LC9 
    ptroxx
    I just got the LC9 and was wondering what is a good ammo to use with it...
    Looking for a range load and a security load.. I live in the great state of CA...

Thanks for the help

2. #2 Re: Best ammo for the LC9 
    ptroxx,

I broke mine in with Winchester White Box and Hornady Critical Defense. I've got 70+ rounds through her with no issues. I also use Hornady CD in my LCP with no issues. More info here -> http://www.hornady.com/store/critical_defense/

LarryS

3. #3 Re: Best ammo for the LC9 
    +1 for Winchester White Box. It is reasonably priced and available just about every place. I use a lot of different ammo, primarily whatever is on sale. I don't use steel cased ammo, but if it is cheap and ammo I will give it a try. When I carry I use Hornady Critical Defense.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

4. #4 Re: Best ammo for the LC9 
    Somebody will be a lot smarter than me on this and give you loads (get it..loads) of information on it, but I can tell you the HP is hollow point. The J, I am assuming is Jacketed Hollow Point. Hollow points are more likely to mushroom/expand and will cause more damage to whatever they hit. They will also cost more.
    Women fear me. Fish dig me. Wait....did I say that right?

5. #5 Re: Best ammo for the LC9 
    For SD, if you stick to the top brands, and it functions well in your firearm, you're good to go. Really isn't a magic bullet, though I'm always looking. I think the +P makes up a little in a sub 3.5" barrel.
    This list always comes up from Dr. Gary K. Roberts, a wound ballistics expert and medical doctor:
    Barnes XPB 115 gr JHP (copper bullet) (Corbon, I would assume)
    Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal HST 124 gr +P JHP (P9HST3)
    Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
    Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
    Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Sean McGinnes: Do you not believe in a higher power?
    Cullen
    : Yes, sir. I wear it on my hip.

6. #6 Re: Best ammo for the LC9 
    Quote Originally Posted by ptroxx
    Thanks for the info guys...now I have another newbie question...

there are a few different typs. like FMJ(full metal jacket) TMJ ? ? JHP ? ? TMJ...

Im in california and want to make sure im not getting something that I cant fire her ein the great state..LOL

what is best to use ? ? and what the difference. ? ?
    JHP = jacketed hollow point, and is primarily used for self defense carry, Gives the bullet a chance for some penetration as well as expansion.
    FMJ or TMJ = full/total metal jacket or sometimes referred to ball ammo, and should be used for practice. This is usually much cheaper. My Glock26 will shoot anything for practice, but I stick with a good American made JHP for self defense carry.

Mightymouse gives you a very good list for SD carry rounds. As always, I highly recommend trying different carry rounds to make sure what you choose will function 100% in your carry weapon! And, with the shorter barrel, I personally would stay away from a 147 grain SD round, as it doesn't have enough fps speed out of the barrel. Of course, my opinion only. Do your research on ballistics, and you'll be able to formulate your own personal choices. Good luck. Yogi
    Virtues are learned at Mother's Knee

Vices are learned at some other Joint

7. #7 Re: Best ammo for the LC9 
    Check out your local gun shops or the Walmart type stores for ammo. I usually buy from Ammunition To Go, an online vendor that tends to stock what I like to carry. Buy lots of ammo at one time and the S & H is relatively cheap. There are lots of internet sellers, just google the type of ammo you're looking for and start comparing. Yogi
    Virtues are learned at Mother's Knee

Vices are learned at some other Joint

8. #8 Re: Best ammo for the LC9 
    Where I'm at, Federal is cheaper than WWB at Walmart. I use Hornady Critical Defense in both my LCP and LC9 for carry loads.

9. #9 Re: Best ammo for the LC9 
    I also just picked up some 115gr. WWB at Wallie World to try. But my first 150 rds. thru my LC9 was some Monarch. It to was 115gr. FMJ practice ammo. The reloadable brass kind not the steel case stuff. It was 10.00 a box of 50 at our local Academy Sports. Functioned perfectly in the LC9 with no failures. Good cheap practice ammo IMO.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads