Greasing the LCP - Page 3

Greasing the LCP

This is a discussion on Greasing the LCP within the Gunsmithing forums, part of the General Category category; When I was young and stupid, I used WD-40 on my shotgun, after a few months, I noticed this brown curd inside the trigger group, ...

Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Greasing the LCP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Greasing the LCP 
    When I was young and stupid, I used WD-40 on my shotgun, after a few months, I noticed this brown curd inside the trigger group, I took it apart, and it was all gummed up from the WD-40. Needless to say, I stopped using WD-40 on my shotgun.

2. #22 Re: Greasing the LCP 
    You're right. WD-40 may not gum up easily, but it eventually will over time if you keep using it.

Twenty some years ago, I received a beautiful S&W Mod. 41 (made in the late 50s or early 60s) from my late grand uncle. The pistol was well maintained and fully functional, but the safety lever was stuck in the "off" position and would not move. I knew he had been using WD-40 to clean his guns for years. So I detail stripped the gun to give it a complete cleaning. Sure enough, I found brown stuff gummed up inside causing the safety lever inoperable. ... After carefully removing the curd with toothpick and flushing the gunk with GunScrubber, the pistol was back in order.
    Joenaper likes this.

3. #23 Re: Greasing the LCP 
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokyT View Post
    You're right. WD-40 may not gum up easily, but it eventually will over time if you keep using it.

Twenty some years ago, I received a beautiful S&W Mod. 41 (made in the late 50s or early 60s) from my late grand uncle. The pistol was well maintained and fully functional, but the safety lever was stuck in the "off" position and would not move. I knew he had been using WD-40 to clean his guns for years. So I detail stripped the gun to give it a complete cleaning. Sure enough, I found brown stuff gummed up inside causing the safety lever inoperable. ... After carefully removing the curd with toothpick and flushing the gunk with GunScrubber, the pistol was back in order.
    Reminds me of my experience with my early 1980's model 41.

Dad used WD-40 on the 41 back in the day, and when I inherited it, I had a lot of light strike misfires. I detail stripped the gun, and found the telltale brown lacquer left by dried WD-40 gumming up the firing pin channel. A few minutes with pipe cleaners and solvents, and the residue, and the problem, went away.

Use WD-40 to displace water, remove the WD-40, then apply a proper lube or protectant.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #24 Re: Greasing the LCP 
    Spray lubricants are very easy to just add new over old , over and over again without cleaning .

6. #25 Re: Greasing the LCP 
    CLP to clean then MP7 to lube is about all I use anymore. Sometimes a little Remoil on the surface if going to the safe for storage.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time." Mark Twain

7. #26 Re: Greasing the LCP 
    jhb
    New User
    TW25B applied with a tooth pick. One drop is enough for two guns.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads