Oxpho-Blue review

This is a discussion on Oxpho-Blue review within the General Non-Firearm Discussion forums, part of the General Category category; So I just got my 4 oz. bottle of Oxpho-Blue (OB) today from the UPS man along with 13# Wolff Springs, Pearce extensions, and a ...

Thread: Oxpho-Blue review

1. #1 Oxpho-Blue review 
    So I just got my 4 oz. bottle of Oxpho-Blue (OB) today from the UPS man along with 13# Wolff Springs, Pearce extensions, and a bunch of parts to fix up some other firearms. Love it all so far. I was going to wait until tomorrow to try the OB but I couldn't resist and had to break into it this evening. I decided to practice on some magazines I had picked up at a yard sale for two dollars for both. They are for my M-1 Carbine and figured for two bucks if I messed up it was ok. Here is the before pic:

As you can see heavily rusted. I started off with 120 sand paper and then just took my time. After I was satisfied I moved onto 240 sand paper and kept going till I took all of the rust and previous finish off. I then washed the magazine in Dawn and hot water; rinsed well and then soaked in almost boiling water until it was hot to the touch. Took it out and dried with paper towels making sure not to touch the metal with my fingers.

I laid the magazine on newspaper and then donned gloves! Then by taking cotton balls and soaking them in the small dish I filled with the OB, I was able to start the process. I did one side at a time; rub on, let dry for one minute, wipe off with dry paper towel, and then let air dry. I repeated this process on all sides until they all had one coat completed on them. After it was bone dry again, I took fine steel wool and polished the whole thing, wiped off with dry paper towel, and the repeated until I got to the shade I wanted.

Here is the final product:

Overall I am very pleased with OB! It was very easy to use and the results were fantastic for me. The magazine actually looks better in real life and has a deeper color and fullness the camera doesn't pick up; a nice blue/grey that compliments the Carbine nicely. The only thing I would have done differently is to have heated the metal before each application of OB. I can't wait to try it on some of my beater and project guns!

And here is one last photo of the finished one next to the second magazine that I will do soon:

Hope yall find this useful and let me know if there is anything else you would like to know!

2. #2 Re: Oxpho-Blue review 
    Wowwww........Looks great....Good work........
    Life is to short to shoot ugly guns....May Glocks live forever....

3. #3 Re: Oxpho-Blue review 
    Nice job, Thanks for posting.

RICHGCOOP

4. #4 Re: Oxpho-Blue review 
    Very nice. That stuff made the mag look almost new. Thanks for posting.

5. #5 Re: Oxpho-Blue review 
    Look like it did a pretty good job. Thanks for the info and review.

6. #6 Re: Oxpho-Blue review 
    PDX
    Looks like it worked like a charm.

if there is any rust not wanting to let go i've used that nylon brush attachment on my dremel.
    for bigger job's i've always used the old wire wheel on fast power drill (found my bat op ones don't go fast enough)

But now a days i'm all about the easy ways. lol
    -------------------------------
    *I'm NOT an EXPERT on ANYTHING and ALWAYS open to learn*

7. #7 Re: Oxpho-Blue review 
    Oxpho-Blue is a very great product. I had a Vintage pellet rifle worth quite few bucks. The barrel was old and needed re-blueing. I was recommended OB by a friend and the results were fantastic. First of all, i cleaned the barrel to remove all oil. Then I took a lighter and hair dryer and heated it up, and then used the OB.
    Note: It is very important to HEAT THE METAL and then apply the OB. Also note that the "CREAM" VERSION OF OB works the best.

It really is a great product.

Regards
    Dave@vabch

8. #8 Re: Oxpho-Blue review 
    I've used it for cosmetic touch ups. Very good results, and one of the best for cold bluing. Also very thin and wears quickly.

Sean McGinnes: Do you not believe in a higher power?
    Cullen
    : Yes, sir. I wear it on my hip.

9. #9 Re: Oxpho-Blue review 
    To counter the thinness I found that repeating the application over and over again is most useful. Brownells says something like 3 to 4 applications. I think I ended up doing about 12. It's a matter of time and elbow grease vs. the look you want or need. I touched up the slide of a Ruger P95 where the factory blow molded box rubbed on the bluing. Works as good as anything else available and better than most.
    Science fiction is just the stuff no one has figured out how to do yet.

10. #10 Re: Oxpho-Blue review 
    Just a quick thought... what if I let the magazine soak in the tray of OB for an elapsed time? Keep everything constant except time and complete immersion. Seems like a test to perform next week!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads