Dropped my LCP w/ one in the chamber...

Dropped my LCP w/ one in the chamber...

This is a discussion on Dropped my LCP w/ one in the chamber... within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Well, I woke up this morning and was putting my elsie into my pocket when I fumbled the little bugger.. still half asleep, I remembered ...

Thread: Dropped my LCP w/ one in the chamber...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Dropped my LCP w/ one in the chamber... 
    Well, I woke up this morning and was putting my elsie into my pocket when I fumbled the little bugger.. still half asleep, I remembered it was loaded when I started loosing my grip and I immediately grasped at it to prevent it from falling... instead my middle finger caught the bottom of the CT laser and flipped it into the air before landing muzzle up.. I ducked as it bounced but when the gun settled I picked it up and checked it out.

The Little One.

6 +1 Buffalo Bore 90gr JHP (not +P)

And no dent in the primer. I guess a 3ft drop onto linoleum is nothing to fret over.

Hope this accidental drop testing puts someones mind at ease.. I know I feel better, now that my heart has calmed down..
    "If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." -Ronald Reagan

2. #2 Re: Dropped my LCP w/ one in the chamber... 
    I drop tested mine onto an empty casing with a good primer, similar to what Jeff Quinn did with his post-recall LCP. I too experience no such problems with my LCP denting the primer. Although one .380 cartridge did give its life for this test.
    -James
    My Blog Gear Reviews, Gun Rights Issues, Emergency Preparedness
    Now on Facebook

3. #3 Re: Dropped my LCP w/ one in the chamber... 
    Guess you had a great day then.............
    No bullet hole in you are the ceiling...................
    Ruger was watching out for you..................................
    Life is to short to shoot ugly guns....May Glocks live forever....

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Dropped my LCP w/ one in the chamber... 
    Glad it worked out. But the incident raises this question for me. Is it better to fumble for the gun and risk the admittedly small chance that you might catch it on the trigger or is it better to let it hit the floor and trust in the safety design? With Elsie's long trigger pull it probably is very unlikely that catching it on the trigger would be enough to pull the trigger to discharge. But, with something that has less trigger pull? What do you all think?
    My candidate for the next mammal on the endangered species list? The American Middle Class.

6. #5 Re: Dropped my LCP w/ one in the chamber... 
    Is there no firing pin block on this gun? I didn't think there was. Why not? Wouldn't this make it safer, especially from a drop? What is preventing this thing from going off if I drop it?

I'm pretty sure my XD 45 and my Taurus snubnose .38 have a firing pin block so it is pretty much impossible to go off if dropped. How safe is this LCP? I carry it more than any other gun and it is always chambered.

7. #6 Re: Dropped my LCP w/ one in the chamber... 
    Quote Originally Posted by TexDeuce
    Is there no firing pin block on this gun? I didn't think there was. Why not? Wouldn't this make it safer, especially from a drop?
    A firing pin block might add a little bit to the safety in a drop situation, but I feel that Ruger has done a great job with the safety issues concerning the LCP.

What is preventing this thing from going off if I drop it?
    The fact that the hammer is held back and there is a fairly strong spring on a lightweight firing pin is what makes the LCP safe in all but the absolute worst drops - and that would have to be muzzle down on a pretty hard surface.
    Skip Douglas

8. #7 Re: Dropped my LCP w/ one in the chamber... 
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeofahero
    Well, I woke up this morning and was putting my elsie into my pocket when I fumbled the little bugger.. still half asleep, I remembered it was loaded when I started loosing my grip and I immediately grasped at it to prevent it from falling... instead my middle finger caught the bottom of the CT laser and flipped it into the air before landing muzzle up.. I ducked as it bounced but when the gun settled I picked it up and checked it out.
    I would not expect any problem with a muzzle-up fall, as that would tend to move the firing pin further from the cartridge rather than closer to it.
    Skip Douglas

9. #8 Re: Dropped my LCP w/ one in the chamber... 
    Why didn't they just put a firing pin block on the LCP like other guns? How would this not make an accidental dishcarge all but impossible if dropped?

10. #9 Re: Dropped my LCP w/ one in the chamber... 
    Why didn't they just put a firing pin block on the LCP like other guns? How would this not make an accidental dishcarge all but impossible if dropped?
    I believe the answer to that is rather simple - it would cost more, driving the price to us up and probably would make the LCP no safer than it already is.
    Skip Douglas

11. #10 Re: Dropped my LCP w/ one in the chamber... 
    The lightweight firing pin + very strong FP return spring acts as a drop safety, similar to pre-series 80 1911s.
    unclenunzie

-------------------------------------------------
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!
    this space for rent

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads