Realistic range time w/Elsie?

Realistic range time w/Elsie?

This is a discussion on Realistic range time w/Elsie? within the General LCP Discussion forums, part of the LCP Pocket category; Supplies needed: Elsie and at least two mags; 50 rounds of ammo; & standard size paper plates. Starting at three yards I empty the mag ...

Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Realistic range time w/Elsie?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    Supplies needed: Elsie and at least two mags; 50 rounds of ammo; & standard size paper plates. Starting at three yards I empty the mag into the plate as fast as possible, combat reload and repeat. Moving the target to five and seven yards I repeat, slowing down a bit as distance increases. The goal is to keep all the rounds on the plate (tight groups are unimportant). I started doing this with my J frames, using speed loaders & speed strips, after reading about it somewhere a couple of years ago. If I can keep all my rounds on the plate at all three distances I believe I can adequately defend myself (I am a gunfight survivor). I also shoot LEOSA qualification every summer using my Glock 17.

I'd be interested in what others do. I'm somewhat limited b/c I use a public range.
    Denny4kids and RICHGCOOP like this.
    Splinter
    LEO (Retired)

2. #2 re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    Great drills you have there! I perform about the same drill at times but push it out to 10 yards. weak hand and one hand shooting is helpful for me. No matter what I will always practice what I am bad at. You could start with an unloaded weapon, that would give you one more reload per drill. I'm a firm believer of using a shot timer. For your drill at the range the countdown timer on your phone could be used to set a par time to beat. Denny
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

3. #3 re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    I am a firm believer in the saying " fast is slow but smooth is fast " . I shoot mostly at a indoor range & they do have limits, one is no rapid fire, shots must be 1 second apart, I do hear people that crowd that second. As for me I fire again as soon as the sight is back on the target. they say you can not draw from a holster so what I do is turn away from the target then turn back pick up the pistol & fire on the target. If I am having a good day I like move from lower & upper points on the target one shot each. I have heard it recommended to shoot between 5 & 7 yards so I shoot at 8.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RugerPistolForums.com
    Advertisements

5. #4 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.mike1407 View Post
    I am a firm believer in the saying " fast is slow but smooth is fast ".
    I've always heard it as "Slow is smooth and smooth is fast".

But as a competitive shooter since 1987, my opinion has always been that slow is slow and fast is fast!
    Denny4kids likes this.

6. #5 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    Realistic range time w/Elsie? In my view if you shoot at a range with rules you can not have realistic range time w/elsie. 1 second between shots? smooth is fast? how do you know fast? 5 to 7 yards? why is that? Please don't fool yourselves! What if the shot is 1 foot? I'm ready...You? I could go on and on how range shooters are fooling themselves! I was one of them! Denny4kids!
    Joenaper and mr.mike1407 like this.
    "We do not rise to our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" Archilocus, Greek Soldier, Poet, 650 B.C.

7. #6 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    Great drills you do at the range splinter. It takes disaplin to do what you do at the range and keep up the great work.
    toytraindoc

NRA Life Memeber
    Why come to me for answers? What have I done to deserve such generosity.
    In GOD We Trust
    Question Everything
    μολὼν λαβέ

8. #7 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    Splinter, thanks for starting this thread. I'm looking for any kind of drills that can be done at public indoor ranges that are useful in building SD skills. I love shooting and enjoy pretty much all types of shooting but when it comes down to improving the skills that may save my life or my loved ones some horrible day, I find the 4 or 5 days a year I get to shoot at a friend's farm to be so much more valuable than near weekly visits to the indoor range. I've been trying to find an outdoor club within reasonable driving distance for a couple of years now. The very few in my area are essentially over-subscribed and are not taking new members or have waiting lists which I've been told can be years long. I'm looking into IDPA matches as a way of gauging where I am and what I can work on.
    Denny4kids likes this.

9. #8 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    Nothing beats first shot placement and nothing ends a gunfight faster than first shot placement. Quick drills at 3 and 7 yards without using sights are the way to go. A pie plate is an excellent way to go, forget about shot groups. Also, DO NOT USE YOUR SIGHTS, because you are not target shooting. Looking for sights is looking to die. I would go so far as to not even worry about reloading, because if you have first shot critical placement, you are the winner! There is no second place prize in a gunfight.

These are the points that I drum home to all my defensive carry students.

10. #9 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    Thanks, mktfish. Your post contains words to live by . . . LITERALLY!
    Joenaper likes this.
    A man's got to know his gun's limitations!

Ruger 10/22, Muzzlelite Stock Bullpup
    Beretta Bobcat, .22 Rimfire
    Ruger LCP Gen. 2, .380 ACP
    Ruger SR-101 .38+P
    Remington 870, 12 ga

11. #10 Re: Realistic range time w/Elsie? 
    Kind of what I do except with a 10" steel plate .(at safe min. distances) Safe min. distances dictates I shoot at greater distances than mentioned here but I figure if I can hit at those distances , I can hit up close . Very rarely do I shoot for groups except to check a pistol's potential . Another reason to not use three dot sighting system opposed to large white front sight . A good test is to close your eyes and point your pistol , then open your eyes and see if you on target . Save the target shooting for the target pistols .
    Denny4kids likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New
Ads